General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Westminster, Maryland
United States
Joanna M. Nicolay Melanoma Foundation
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 445am and got some food in me and made the trip to the race which was about 30 mins away. Set up my bike and transition and helped my dad set up anything else he needed.

Also hung out and BS'ed with a few BTers James (James Blackwood), Rick (shhhh).
Event warmup:

Got in the pool and swam a few laps to get myself wet.
Swim
  • 07m 7s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

Crossed the timing mat and jumped into the pool and tried to make a good swim. Didn't think I was in there for 7 whole minutes but I guess I'll subtract around 10-15 seconds for the run and jump into the pool and getting out of the pool for the small run to T1.

AG ranking:
4/15
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really I'm overall really happy with the pace I did
Transition 1
  • 01m 27s
Comments:

Ran out of the water and on to T1. Got into my shoes fairly quickly and tried to get my breathing under control and on the bike

AG ranking:

4/15

Next season I'd like to get on the bike and get my feet into the shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 46m 52s
  • 14 miles
  • 17.92 mile/hr
Comments:

Got out of T1 and got into a good pace. Was avging right around 17-19ish for a good portion. I drove the course the day before and the "flat" areas I thought I'd go faster and crush weren't as flat as I thought. Semi false flats and couldn't get into a good rhythm on them.

Got passed by 4-5 people from a swim wave or two behind me but I didn't have anything really infront of me to go chase which made it a little boring even with it only being 14 miles.

AG Rank:
6/15

Train more on hills and really improve the overall power I'm able to output to the bike. Really would like to get faster overall on the bike for next season.
Transition 2
  • 02m 37s
Comments:

Horrible here. I was pretty tired and took my time getting my shoes and socks on. Obviously took too much time! Was a little nervous if I should just run with no socks but didn't want to risk anything with my feet having blisters the week before at Eagleman.

AG ranking:
11/15 - horrible

Go faster DAMNIT!
Run
  • 28m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Got out of T2 and tried to get my HR under control here. I got out to the first mile and struggled up the first hill. I tried again to maintain a consistent pace but chest was causing some pain. I've only had pain like this during lacrosse in college during sprints. So I stopped to walk and calm the heck down (this seems to be a common problem during shorter races). Finally got back into the run and saw James run past me without a problem.

Hit the turn around and saw Joe (jsiegs) on the way back. He was around the turn around and past me with no time. I gave him a few shouts and then saw Rick (shhh!) and he was suffering big time with heart problems. I tried to focus on "beating" him and not allowing him to catch me at all.

I crossed the finish line at 1:26 and was pretty happy with my time overall considering it was getting a little warm out there and also considering I wasn't 100% with Eagleman the week before.

AG ranking - 11/15 - this is where I lost it!

Run more but we all know I hate running. I need to run more in the heat and it is my weakness overall.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line and hung out and watched my Uncle, Dad and a bunch of other friends finish. Got changed and headed home realizing that I didn't get 3rd place in my AG this year. There were some fast guys out there today.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A little bit of doing a tough HIM the weekend before and lack of running fitness I had. I didn't seem to have any pop in my legs either. I need to work on the bike and get faster as well as the run. Swimming I'm fairly happy where I am with the work I've put in.

Event comments:

Great little local race with always a good turn out. I'll be back next year for sure. Really enjoy it.

Last updated: 2010-03-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:07 | 400 meters | 01m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Just tri shorts with no top
Course: 400m swim in the pool
Start type: Dive Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:27
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:46:52 | 14 miles | 17.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Square loop with a few small climbs and false flats.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:37
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:28:24 | 03.11 miles | 09m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/
Performance: Below average
Course: Out and back with a two hills out and two hills back
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-21 3:17 PM

Pro
yep,
Subject: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri

2010-06-21 6:17 PM
in reply to: #2935037

Expert
Subject: RE: South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri
Well done!  Great swim.  And it was a tougher field for sure at the front end.

Congrats to your Dad and Joe!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » South Carroll Tri-to-Win Sprint Tri Rss Feed