General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra Whitewater : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-23 9:32 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Subject: Xterra Whitewater : Official Thread
Well I went out and did my first full 13.5 mile mtb ride at the US National Whitewater Center for this year. I'd like to thank my good friend Chris Carter for spanking me on the trail, putting me in my place, and letting me know where I need to focus my training for the next 3 weeks. I've been swimming, biking, and running since April but I'm nowhere near the mountain bike shape that I need to be in. All in all it was a good ride considering the 100 degree weather, I only came off the bike once in the Toilet Bowl loop, I just felt a little sluggish like my tires were flat. It is going to be challenging riding the whole course then getting off and having to run 5 miles of it. This race is definitly gon be my toughest challenge to date, but its gon be the most fun too!

2010-06-24 6:45 AM
in reply to: #2940375

User image

Master
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Xterra Whitewater : Official Thread
how is it out there??...i've been meaning to get down there and see the center. (mainly to get my kayaking fix, since i sold mineFrown) but to check out the trails too...
2010-06-24 7:03 AM
in reply to: #2940634

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Whats up halfpint, The USNWWC is great brother! Most of the trail systems have been there for years under the name of Catawba trails somethin or nother. In my opinion, all but the 3 mile green trail, you need to be on you're A game cause they're very technical. The rest of the park is great too, Ive not tried the rafting or kayaking, I prefer Xtreme tubing down Wilson creek for my fix, but they have a cool set up. Get on theyre website and figure out theyre best package deal before you make the trek... Later
2010-06-24 12:49 PM
in reply to: #2940634

User image

Veteran
Charlotte, NC
The White Water Center is pretty amazing.  I've been out there 3-4 times and have ridden the trails, kayaked, and geo-cached with the kids.  On the weekends it can get crowded so try to hit it during the week.  The restaurant there is also very good.  After a couple hours riding it's nice to kick back with a couple beers and watch the kayakers shoot the rapids.

I really want to do the Xterra race there on July 11th but my wife has a race that same day down in SC so I'll be there supporting her.  Good luck for those headed out there.
2010-06-24 4:14 PM

yea I've been getting 1 run and 1 ride per week out there for about 3 weeks and its been slow slow slow. Have yet to run the 5 mile course set up. The best thing for improvement has been building some familiarity with the trails.  There is a couple of places that I know I'll be running with the bike on race day cause it will be faster and easier on the heart rate.  Definately doing this one just for the grueling fun of it.  I really don't know what to expect of my time,  run pace is out the window. Based on my performance last week, it may take me 3 hours. Have you seen the video of the swim set up? They are suggesting a second pair of shoes for the run within the swim.  And I don't won't to even mention my fears about my 2001 gary fisher taking a dive on the toilet bowl.
2010-06-24 6:04 PM
in reply to: #2942328

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
The swim, bike, and run looks very intense indeed. Goat hill as well as the toilet bowl will be ready to whip us all! Ill be sportin my 99 Fisher hardtail, hopefully the motor will stay strong! As far as the video of the swim, I saw it on youtube, I kinda like the way theyre breakin it up into 2 swims, Im getting pretty psyched about the whole thing now! Let me know when youre ridin out there and if my swingshift permits, we can hammer it out.

2010-06-25 6:52 AM

going to do a brick saturday am,   bike the main trail + the green loop then run the 5 mile course. Hope to get there by 6 - 6:30am.  Wednesday i'll run around  5 or 5:30pm.  Thursday I'll bike 5:30-6pm. Also on  Thursday evenings they have a band so i'll probably do that whole scene after the ride.  Sure hope it warms up by then!

2010-06-26 6:44 AM
in reply to: #2943014

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Enjoy youre brick out there today johnsp8, Im stuck at the steel mill so I wont be joining you. I will hit it hard Monday morning tho
2010-06-28 6:29 AM

great work out in the woods sat.  First person in the park, besides the lady taking money for parking.  Had so many spider webs on me by first couple of miles that I looked like a halloween decoration.  Couldn't keep to the easier trails as i planned to either.  Did everything but figure 8 on the bike then ran 4.5.  I was trying to run the xterrra course as described by the website but I think I took a wrong turn on goat hill that led to the shorter distance.  Never saw another soul til I got back to the parking lot.  According to my garmin there was 4134 feet of climbing on the bike and 1338 feet hills on the run.  Explains my trickle of a pace and near heart explosion.  But overall a great 2 hour brick.  lvis, you gonna make out there this week?

2010-06-28 8:35 AM
in reply to: #2947478

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Heading out there today brother!!!  Hoped to get there early but....Im sleepy Gon be another hot one.
2010-06-28 7:02 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Had a good workout at the USNWWC today. Got started late tho.The Official temp in my Subaru at bike start was 91F, 101F at the end of my run. Couldnt make myself do the last mile of the run since I had to run right past my car. It was brutal! Felt better on the bike tho, my bud CA Carter only smoked me by 4 minutes on his single speed today! That 29er just looks freakin fast whenever its rolling. Hope to get another go at the WWC before race, defenitely hit Sherman Branch and Poplar Tent for some always fun XC laps! Need to hit the lake for some OWS as well, I felt uncomfortable yesterday doing 750, not really uncomfortable but just slow. Happy training and to all you Xterra Whitewater participants out there, YOU DA MAN

2010-07-02 11:24 AM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Did a brick right after getting out of the ol steel mill night shift. Rode hard on the bike, 11.33 miles starting and finishing at the North main entrance. I think Xterra website says 12.5 mile bike so Im missing bout a mile somewhere??? Thought my avg mph would be better today by the way it felt but it wasnt, felt good on all the climbs tho. Had an over the handlebars experience in the weigh station cost me a minute or so. I had my running shoes so I decided to go ahead and try the run while I was there, I was amazed at how much better I felt running this morning from 6-28. I guess thats what 22 degrees F will do for you. I was able to stretch out my legs and let gravity take over on the downhill runs which improved my times. My pace per mile was literally 2 min. faster today! Think Ill stick to light training til race day. Go test out my new Xterra wetsuit that just arrived in LKN this evening. Looking fwd to my first offroad tri out in the woods.

Observation: the downhills on the run werent quite as rewarding as on the bike.
2010-07-10 5:23 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Good luck to all yous guys racing Xterra Whitewater tomorrow. Went to packet pickup and orientation today and it looks to be a BLAST!!! Nice race packet as well. See you there
2010-07-11 4:48 PM

please post some details on this race if u did it! out of town missed it.
thanks
2010-07-11 5:44 PM
in reply to: #2973764

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
did the race this morning, it was challenging and fun, ill post a full report when results are up. In a nutshell, being the first one, they had a little trouble with organizing it. I heard that some folks skipped the entire green trail (3 miles) on the bike because the turn wasnt well marked. BTW bring youre own bananas because the after race snack table consisted of a tray of cookies and a tray of muffins (1 tray). Other than that it was great fun, im gon try to upload a couple pics that my friend took.
2010-07-12 10:10 AM
in reply to: #2973854

User image

Master
Charlotte
lvis - 2010-07-11 6:44 PM did the race this morning, it was challenging and fun, ill post a full report when results are up. In a nutshell, being the first one, they had a little trouble with organizing it. I heard that some folks skipped the entire green trail (3 miles) on the bike because the turn wasnt well marked. BTW bring youre own bananas because the after race snack table consisted of a tray of cookies and a tray of muffins (1 tray). Other than that it was great fun, im gon try to upload a couple pics that my friend took.

Well it may be the first xterra event at the whitewater center but they have had tons of events out there and the common theme from ALL of them is that they are very poorly organized and executed.   It is a shame because it really is a great place, but they have made about every miss-step you could possibly imagine the past 3-4 years.

2010-07-12 4:49 PM

Great job on this one guys.  I had a blast and thought everything went extremely well.  Xterra name well deserved for this one.  Not quite as extreme as Uwharrie on the bike trails since they are bike trails but plenty tough.  I thought organization was great and trails well marked compared to most off road events I have seen.  Arrows were everywhere.  I am used to whitewater trails so was familiar with what we were on.  Next year will be huge I bet.  Congrats to all who participated just wish I'd won the bike or wet suit or helmets.... oh well there is always next time. 

2010-07-13 6:53 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
Hope I don't sound like I was knocking the race too bad, I guess I just assume when I pay for a race that I'll be eating bananas and bagels til I'm sick when it's over with. as far as folks missing the green trail, that's all rumors that were going around. Personally I set my goal at 2:25:00 and finished at 2:11:14 so I can't wait to see my splits. I know my transitions were terrible but fir my first Xterra, the unofficial results have me at 29th overall so I'm stoked!! Gon pick out a couple more Xterra races next year.
2010-07-20 8:11 PM

User image

Veteran
North Carolina
If anyone else out there did Xterra Whitewater id love to see some opinions and RRs
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Xterra Whitewater : Official Thread Rss Feed