SuperFeet is prime Sponsor
60sF / 0C
Overcast
Total Time = 9h 00m
Overall Rank = 209/460
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Up early to have oatmeal and coffee. Slept good, watched TDF. Early morning Rain. Not sure what to wear. Dog was anxious to go with me, knows what I'm doing and what I'm wearing.
Event warmup:

Did easy stretches at home watching TDF. Ran up to a half mile, got heart rate up to 160 a couple of times. Made 4 trips to restroom. Even one last quickie, since they were waiting for people to show up.

Felt good and loose, no pains, aches or worries.
Run
  • 1h 00m 25s
  • 7 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Winner did it in around 38+, same with the womens winner, 38+. Now that would have been interesting to see. It was humid, they had two water stations at 3 and 5 miles. Small cups, felt like it was enough. Did have thoughts that I was running out of energy around the 5 mile area. Should have carried one GU/Honey stinger pak????

What would you do differently?:

I wore my LasVegas marathon long sleeve cotton shirt. Got soaked from sweat and my left nipple got a little irritated. Should have brought second shirt, singlet or need to get a TECH shirt.

More track workouts, speed work. Mileage is not that high this summer. More time has been spend on riding and swimming, and not on quality run workouts. Or maybe I'm just a year older? And should just be happy with outcome.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt ok after finish. Somewhat deflated about not breaking an hour. Physically tired but wasted. Ate some Fig Newton bars an some bread and drank some bottled water. Than ran back to the start, where I was parked. Kept my HR at 150 or less, Took me 72+ minutes to get back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training miles, not enough of interval/speed training. Felt like I lost a lot of time on the 2 steep sections.
Should have eaten alittle more before run. Had one GU with 10oz of water 15 minutes before start.

Event comments:

I will probably do it next year, it will be about 2 weeks after IMCDA, but will run in back and take dog along. He was so ticked off at me, when I left him. He had 4 pairs of my shoes scattered in his bed and around the floor.

I can live with it. Kept thinking that it was nothing but a training run for my Olympic Tri race in August. But still the competitive juices do flow.

Last updated: 2005-05-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:25 | 07 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 209/460
Performance: Below average
1st mile 8:23, HR was 179+ and I wasn't trying to be that high was holding back. 2nd mile, 8:26 HR was still in the mid 170s, wasn't struggling or anything bad, but I wasn't staying with people and not catching any fast burners. 3rd mile, 9:23, Go down a switchback and than up a 125 yard STEEP street that I basically use choppy steps and pump arms. Lot of people end up walking. Took me 200yds + to get back up to speed on the flats. 4th mile, 8:51, Trail is fairly flat, running by myself. Few people pass me, but nobody is coming back to me. Feel ok, didn't feel like upping the pace. 5th mile, 8:44, still flat portion of trail, actually a little downhill slope. 6th mile, 9:07, is a steep ravine that you have to checkup your stride going down, then choppy steps going up. After this it goes gradually downslope again. 7th Mile. 7:42, I knew with a mile to go where I was at, still down slope trail. Started calculating that I had seen my time was at 52. With about 100yds+ left, sneek a peek at my watch and I saw 59. Full sprint down a wet curved pavement. My heels were kicking my butt. My HR peaked at 188 during the first steep street. And it hit 183 at the second climb around mile 5-6. AVE was 176. But I didn't feel any distress.
Course: Mostly hardpack trail, Beginning was 3/4 of a mile on city streets. Two steep sections that really cut my speed down and leave me at max hr. A few water puddles and mushy soft mud. Easy to avoid.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-09 3:54 PM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington
Subject: 38th Annual Chuckanut Foot Race

2005-07-11 12:09 PM
in reply to: #193809

User image

Expert
Issaquah, WA,
Subject: RE: 38th Annual Chuckanut Foot Race
Great race!  You were so close to meeting your goal!  
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 38th Annual Chuckanut Foot Race Rss Feed