General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Race Funk? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2010-06-24 4:12 PM

Subject: Post Race Funk?
I recently completed my first tri and it went great.  I took 1 day off and then got back into everything. After about a week though, I feel like my workout mojo is gone.  Part of it is actually not having motivation to get out and do the exercise and the other part is having problems with my body while I'm working out (knee problems, dehydration etc).  Has anyone else had these problems? If so, how'd you get through it?

2010-06-24 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2942323

User image

Aurora, CO
Subject: RE: Post Race Funk?
I actually took off a whole week after my first tri (June 4th).  During that time, I just walked the dogs alot and worked on the house.  Throughout the whole week, I did miss training but wanted to make sure that I was "fresh" before I started up again for my second one this August.  Don't know if that works for eveyone, but I beleive I really needed the short break between training plans.
2010-06-24 4:19 PM

User image

Master
Midlothian, VA
I was so hyped after my first race I didn't take a break for over a week.

But I got a little depressed after my first Oly this weekend.  Granted, I've had some disappointments on the job hunt front here the last few days, but I think it would be normal to get a little down after such a big UP! (Like I was thinking,  I finished the hardest thing I ever did, now what?!?)

Sign up for another one to build anticipation and  get pumped up if you can swing it.

-eric 
2010-06-24 4:21 PM

User image

Expert
Pfafftown, NC
This is my 1st season.  Yes.  I had post-race funk.  I actually expected it.  I found the actual race - melodramatic.  Satisfying?  Sure! 

What helped me is - having another race to get ready for.  Finished my 2nd sprint, Sunday.  Started training for a HM (with 2 more sprints peppered in, between now and the half), on Monday.

Good luck!

p.s. I also figured (after the 2 sprints), it might be a good time to learn how to swim!!....lol  I joined masters swim class.  I'm tired as hell.  But I don't have time to dwell on it.
2010-06-24 5:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
I did not have a post race funk, but I had things to look forward to and train for.  I have a series of 5 sprints and a HM that I am training for and very seriously looking at the Far East IM/HIM series events for next year.  I think that as long as you have something to look forward to and work for then the post race funk will either not exist or be gone quickly as you look forward to your next event.
2010-06-24 5:35 PM

User image

Elite
Slackerville, USA
I just had a big race this last weekend and have been in a funk and haven't felt like training. I have been exhausted and getting up in the morning has been tough. I finally made myself go out on the bike today and I feel much better now and am looking forward to my next workout. We'll see how I'm doing in the morning. For me its just pushing through. Remember its supposed to be fun though, if its not, ease up and take it easy to give your body a rest. Then get back at it and enjoy the ride. 

2010-06-24 6:14 PM
in reply to: #2942479

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete

Re enter training slowly.

Do some activities that you wanted to do during training, but you put off because you were afraid of getting hurt right before a race.

Take some time off if you must, but make the most of every day!

2010-06-24 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2942534

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii
pga_mike - 2010-06-24 1:14 PM

Do some activities that you wanted to do during training, but you put off because you were afraid of getting hurt right before a race.

Like stepping off the curb into the street?  LOL!  I would have wrapped myself in bubblewrap that last week before my race if I could.

I was sort of in the same boat.  I got a little freaked out when there was no specific training on my schedule.  Tris are few and far between here unless you can afford to travel off-island or to the mainland.  So, pondering Hawaii 70.3 next June and in the meantime training for Maui HM in September.  AND spending more time in the pool working on swim fitness and so I can ditch the nose plugs.  AND saving up for a new bike. :-)

Take a week or two off, then pick your next race and go for it. 

P.S.  You've earned the break!

2010-06-24 9:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Puyallup, WA
I did my first Sprint last Labor Day then my first Half Mary Last Thanksgiving. After the Half M I had a bit of depression for awhile. Couldn't figure that one out. Got back to training (winter variety) and as time passed it wore off but the few weeks immediatly after I was certaily in a "funk".
The Psych's could have some fun with this.
2010-06-24 10:11 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Yep, I had that after my first real race (did a super sprint first, then a sprint 3 weeks later) I had an amazing time at both, loved every minute of it, came home ready to train harder and really excited...but its now been about a month and I haven't really gotten back into training. The week after the race, we went to Vegas and I didn't train much there (lots of hiking, rented bikes one day but wouldn't call it "training") Then my car broke down, my family was in town, etc. Since getting back I've done some running (did a 5K fun run on Father's Day), still swimming because I love it, a couple spin classes and LOTS of strength training (my first real LOVE but I had cut back on it during tri training because of time and I missed it a lot). So its not like I haven't worked out, but I haven't touched my bike and my run mileage is pathetic. I know the heat is a big part of my lack of motivation, its just so humid here right now I feel like I can barely keep hydrated just sitting in the house. So I've been choosing things I can do in the gym...weights, spin, swimming. Energy level in the summer heat is just so low its tough to do anything.

Now we leave tomorrow for 10 days in Costa Rica. I'm really hoping that when we get back I'll be ready to start up again, I have another race in about 5 weeks that I already signed up for that I will have to fake my way through.
2010-06-25 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran

Take a full week off.

Let your knee heal.

Then set a new goal, and start training again.  :-)

2010-06-25 12:25 PM

User image

Expert
Colorado Springs, Colorado
No post race funk for me. That's because I always have another race scheduled. I do a race of some sort at least every 2-3 weeks all year.
2010-06-25 12:28 PM

User image

Bronze member
This thread has really hit home. I feel like I'm in a funk after every race. I start to wonder why I'm even racing, what's the point, it costs so much money, it's taking time away from my family, my knee aches and my shoulder is sore. The entire time I feel this way I'm thinking about my next race LOL!
It's a little crazy...
I totally stink at taking time off. I might cut back my mileage a little but I NEVER take a whole week off from any of the sports unless I just have too (injuries of course). Not even in the winter. This has convinced me that I really need a rest. I'm going on vacation in a few days and my goal is to give myself a break! I'm leaving my bike at home and forgetting about triathlon for awhile.
Thanks for posting!
2010-06-25 2:12 PM

User image

N Y C
phew...I thought this was going to be about hygiene. : )
2010-06-25 3:14 PM

User image

Champion
NOVA - Ironic for an Endurance Athlete
2010-06-25 3:21 PM

User image

Master
White Plains NY
Do a de-taper (if you tapered)....i.e repeat your taper, but in reverse order. If you are injured, rest.

Also, sign up for another race. There is your motivation!

2010-06-25 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2944029

User image

Master
Dirt Road
trigal38 - 2010-06-25 1:28 PM This thread has really hit home. I feel like I'm in a funk after every race. I start to wonder why I'm even racing, what's the point, it costs so much money, it's taking time away from my family, my knee aches and my shoulder is sore. The entire time I feel this way I'm thinking about my next race LOL!
It's a little crazy...
I totally stink at taking time off. I might cut back my mileage a little but I NEVER take a whole week off from any of the sports unless I just have too (injuries of course). Not even in the winter. This has convinced me that I really need a rest. I'm going on vacation in a few days and my goal is to give myself a break! I'm leaving my bike at home and forgetting about triathlon for awhile.
Thanks for posting!

Don't leave your bike. I have heard of others trying this and had to buy one just to get their fix. 
2010-06-25 10:28 PM
in reply to: #2944751

User image

Bronze member
Karibu - 2010-06-25 4:37 PM
trigal38 - 2010-06-25 1:28 PM This thread has really hit home. I feel like I'm in a funk after every race. I start to wonder why I'm even racing, what's the point, it costs so much money, it's taking time away from my family, my knee aches and my shoulder is sore. The entire time I feel this way I'm thinking about my next race LOL!
It's a little crazy...
Thanks for posting!

Don't leave your bike. I have heard of others trying this and had to buy one just to get their fix. 

Ha ha, I can probably find a Y with a spin class if I'm THAT desperate I won't have any spare change to buy another bike - we're Disney Bound!!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Post Race Funk? Rss Feed