General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Celebration Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2010-06-27 4:17 PM
in reply to: #2946456

User image

Regular
Baltimore, MD
Subject: RE: Celebration Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread
Great job Jaymu!  Thats awesome and this course was a tough one especially that run.  

That was my first time swimming in that salad bar they call a lake.  Very interesting but entertaining too.  With my 8:25 wave start the sun was cooking on the run but I managed to squeek out 2 in my age group and 21 overall.  1:38:36.  

How did everyone else do??

2010-06-27 4:46 PM
in reply to: #2943317

User image

I was 18th in the Clydesdale Division.  2:11:50.
This was my first tri.
I have to admit I hoped for better. I was a bit of a mess in the swim. I am 6'8" with long arms - I pulled up enough seaweed to give everyone in China a kelp wrap. It was bad, at one point I got fishing line wrapped around my right arm. Somewhere on the bottom of Centennial Lake is my RoadID wrapped in 10lb test fishing line. I guess it was God's, or Poseidon's, or someone's way of saying that I didn't need.
My ride was okay, but some people ride like maniacs. Two ladies were riding side by side and a mini-van got stuck behind them. Guys and girls were passing the van and on the left of the van. A little risky in my books. Not willing to get mushed by a mini-van to save 30 seconds so I could finish 17th in the Clydesdale division. Ain't worth it.
The run was the run. I did ok.  Could have done better. Gassed.
All in all I learned a lot.  Plan your work and work your plan. I was so worried about swimming off course I killed myself the 1st half of the swim. After I stopped spazzing, I got into my rhythm I was just fine. On the ride you need to be a little hardassed and yell at the loafers riding on the left. Run faster, leave nothing in the tank. Also, a leaner Jason is a faster Jason. I am still 250. I need to drop 5-10 more lbs.
After all of that brain vomit, nothing motivates me like disappointment. Bet your asteroids I will do better at the Northeast.
Thanks to Traci for coming out cheer me on and all of her help in transforming me from a bad volleyball player to a bad triathlete.
Offical Race Report after I sleep.
2010-06-27 6:38 PM
in reply to: #2946456

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sykesville
jaywmu92 - 2010-06-27 2:49 PM Looks like I'm the first post race poster.  Does that mean I won?  Does anyone know if we'll get detailed info from the timing chips?  I'm talking about how we did in each individual discipline.  I'm interested in how I came out of the swim relative to my age group.  Overall I was 46 out of 102 in the Males 40-44.  Not bad for my first time.  Overall I'm just stinkin' proud.  I'm still wearing my medal.

Same here.  This was my first Tri and I'm still on a high.  I really want to official results.  I forgot to start my watch at the beginning so I don't know how I did on the swim.  Based on the unofficial results they posted I finished 12th in the 30-34 group.  My race strategy was "don't drown, then see how the rest goes" so, needless to say, I'm pretty damn happy right now!
2010-06-27 6:42 PM

User image

Veteran
CONGRATULATIONS again to ALL of You!  You are lucky as my first tri last June 20 in Assateague did not even provide medals for finihers so all I have is my bib #.  You all got medals...how cool is that specially for the first timers!  way to go guys and gals!
2010-06-27 6:43 PM
in reply to: #2946674

User image

Maryland

Caught up in fishing line?    I’m sure it must have freaked you out a bit.  It surely would have made my mind race to think I might have had a hook to come at me.  Of course it where our favorite fisherman Josh who came across the fishing line his first thought would probably have been, let me check to make sure there’s isn’t a big fish on the end of this.  (Can you imagine anyone actually carrying a live fish out of the swim leg?!)  My hats off to you. 

I don’t know if I was in you vicinity or not but I watched some of left-side passing of a, too.  I don’t know what people are thinking when they throw caution out the window. The van I saw put its turn signal to turn left.  They guy next to me saw it and yelled to the rider about to pass, but she was impatient and went for it on left.  As van came to a near stand-still, I want by on the right shoulder only to find that there was a second car in front of the van also trying turn left.  All I can say is the woman who passed both those cars on the left had a guardian angel watching out.  That could have been a really bad situation.

2010-06-27 6:45 PM
in reply to: #2946886

User image

Maryland
This was supposed to be a reply to 'Jaferg52'

I timed out at 2:02:29.  I was hoping to go under 2:00, but I got lost in the split pea soup.  My sighting was terrible.  I was so confused, I was ready turn at the first buoy marker -  200 yards in!  Bike split was good, but traffic was a bit frustrating at times.  I got stuck behind a vehicle three times; it happened twice on the downhill so I felt a bit robbed.  It was meant to be a training event for Vineman 70.3 in three weeks, so I don’t have anything to complain about.

Edited by runamarathon 2010-06-27 7:12 PM

2010-06-27 7:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Pasadena, MD

Congrats to all... especially the first timers and the ASA Team... very cool! 

Jferg52, that's not too shabby.  You are on a good path to do well at Northeast... a very fun race! 

I raced in clyde too and finished in 2:15:46.  I was dehydrated and spent by the time I hit the run.  A teething one yr old has had me up 2-3 times a night lately and I just have not been able to to train consistently either.  Disappointing but I knew today would not be my finest. 

Hope everyone had fun today... definitely back next year.

Scott

2010-06-27 8:16 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Maryland
Times are up!
2010-06-27 8:48 PM

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Way to go Sunday racers ! Hottest day of the year! Nice work!

Sincerely, the Sunday loafers.
2010-06-29 11:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rockville, MD
Holy Freaking Lake Grass! I was in the first wave and as soon as I turned after the island I went from a good pace (finished the swim 17th in my AG) to struggling not to drown! Every pull my arm came out of the water with 10lbs of grass. Breathing was sporadic as every other time I tried to breathe, my face was completely covered in grass!

CTA gets good marks from me but they could at least have cleared the grass completely covering the surface. Even more so in an event marketed to first time triathletes. I am a decent swimmer and VERY comfortable in the water, but even I had to check myself from freaking out a bit when the grass is trying to pull you under.

Maybe Im just expecting too much.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Celebration Sprint Triathlon : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 2