Penn Run, Pennsylvania
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 21s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Not much. Had a banana and 1/2 bagel 2-1/2 and 3 hours before the start. Got transition set up when it opened. Relaxed until the start. Originally, I was worried about rain, but there was no rain, only humidity even before the race started.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 23m 36s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I never actually felt like I got into the rhythm of my swim. My breathing seemed off. I usually breath every other stroke, but found I was breathing every stroke through out the entire swim. Despite that , the time for this swim was good for me, and about 5 minutes faster than last year. Even though I was in the very back of the pack, and the last place Athena, I was still happy with my swim time!!
What would you do differently?:

Go faster!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

I ran out of the water and up the beach, repeating glasses, socks, shoes, helmet. That is my routine in T1. I repeated it over and over until I got to my bike. Once there, my sentence went something like this - glas..., WTF? Yes, that last part was out loud. Because my glasses and helmet were not on my bars where I left them. I felt bad about saying that out loud and looked around real quick to make sure no kids were around and heard me. Then a thousand thoughts went through my head as I stood there staring at my bike. Why would somebody take my stuff? WHO would take my stuff? Maybe somebody took mine and left theirs. Maybe somebody has an extra helmet. Should I shout out and ask? I am not going to be able to finish the race without a helmet! Of course, looking around there were not that many bikes left, and only a few people, since I am a slow swimmer! It felt like an eternity! Then I noticed about 4 transition spots down was my helmet!! Okay I thought, I can go without my sunglasses, as long as I have my helmet. As I ran down to get my helmet, I noticed my sunglasses about 2 spots further! I grabbed my stuff, got ready and off I went. A little slower than I hoped for, but at least I found my things.

Not rack my bike next to a jerk!
Bike
  • 39m 7s
  • 9.5 miles
  • 14.57 mile/hr
Comments:

This was an okay bike for me. I passed quite a few people at the beginning on the biggest uphill part. Many people were walking, and a few were just standing at the side of the road, so I was able to ride past them. I felt good during the entire bike, and felt good as I was finishing also.

Ride more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 16s
Comments:

My legs felt good coming off the bike. When I got to the bike racks, the guy next to me (yes, the same guy that I think knocked down my stuff for T1) had his bike racked so that it was directly on top of my transition mat. Grrr. I found a place to put my bike where his should have been. Also, I felt like I couldn't get a good breath (Yes, I have Asthma.). I decided that I needed to use my inhaler. So, I grabbed it as I ran out of transition and took a couple hits, then threw it to the side. That is the first time I have had to use it in a race, but I don't think that it slowed me down at all.

Not need my inhaler, and again, don't pick a transition spot next to a jerk!
Run
  • 30m 23s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 08m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

I love this run course. I always do so well on it, because it is so flat! I am pretty sure that it is a little short, but even if it was only a 5k, instead of 3.5, I would still be happy with my time. Did I say that I love this course??!!

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

My husband and dad were waiting at the finish line to greet me with a bottle of water. I drank the entire bottle, then went to the pavilion, had another bottle of water and some home-made baked goods. YUMMY! I had a mini-muffin and 2 (okay maybe 3) cookies. I love that they have home-made stuff. It makes the atmosphere so fun!! Of course, then I waited for the awards ceremony and got my gold medal!!!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The engine.

Last updated: 2010-04-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:36 | 880 yards | 02m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out and back along a buoy line.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:59
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:07 | 9.5 miles | 14.57 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Out and back. Up hill on the way out and down hill on the way back! The way back is great!!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:16
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:23 | 03.5 miles | 08m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/4
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back on a pancake-flat road but with no shade.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-06-26 7:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Greensburg, PA
Subject: Jackie Kallal Triathlon

2011-05-15 5:51 PM
in reply to: #2945787

Subject: RE: Jackie Kallal Triathlon

I see you have done the Yellow Creek Triathlon before. This is my first ever and I am getting a little nervous. I am not a strong swimmer and am looking of tips on the course or a triathlon. I have a wet suit would you recommend wearing it? Any other tips on clothing or gear? I live right by Yellow Creek so am familiar with the area. Anything you have to share would be great! Thanks so much

Kelli

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jackie Kallal Triathlon Rss Feed