Ultramax Triathlon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 44m 24s
Overall Rank = 72/224
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/25
Pre-race routine:

The day before the race I was in my pre-race funk. No family going, no friends going, I knew no one going to the race. I'm MOP, so no chance of a podium spot. Why should I get up at 4 am to punish myself by myself? Maybe the mental challenge? I still don't know....

Anyway, I woke up at 4 am and drove to the race site. Ate a banana on the way and another an hour later. Arrived at the race site just after 6 and got set up. By 7 it was 75 degrees and 90% humidity. I just tried to take it easy.
Event warmup:

The water was very warm. I never heard the official temp just "mid 80's". This was my third tri and my first without a wet suit. I swam a few hundred yards to get used to it. I could definitely tell I was floating a lot less. My timing chip felt like it was weighing me down and my shirt made me feel slow. I was warm but didn't freak out about not having a wetsuit to help me float in a clutch.
Swim
  • 12m 17s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

I started at the back of the group and quickly realized I made a mistake. I started too far back for my ability and had to dodge a bunch of people back floating, side strocking, etc. I passed a bunch of people on the swim. My swimming has improved and I need to start mid pack. My time would have been much better.

About half way through the swim I went to raise my head to sight and swallowed a big gulp of water. I had to stop and tread water and burp a bunch. Got run in to a bit when I stopped (my fault). But I never felt any panic.
What would you do differently?:

Start mid pack instead of in the back.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Had to run a long way to T1. I think the mats were by the water so this time included the run.

nothing
Bike
  • 58m 38s
  • 18 miles
  • 18.42 mile/hr
Comments:

I don't have many hills near me and I didn't get a chance to run or drive the course. In my area, I pretty much keep the crank on the middle ring and cycle the back gears up and down. On this ride, I went from granny gear (front and rear) to big gear (front and rear) multiple times. I definitely need more practice but didn't do too bad. I passed lots of people on the bike. I hit 41 mph on one of the downhills and 30+ many times (never been above 27 before that). I also hit 6 mph on many uphills in granny gear. It was fun! I can tell my increased bike training is starting to pay off.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s

nothing
Run
  • 28m 52s
  • 3 miles
  • 09m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was really hilly. I felt pretty good considering the heat. Again, I think my increased bike volume is starting to help. With the heat and hills, my main goal was not to walk any hills, and I didn't! It was hot and the water was very cold at the water stops. I took a big gulp at the first water station and poured the rest on my head. A minute or two later, I got a stitch in my side. I didn;t walk but I did slow down while I pushed on the stich for a minute or two. I didn't put two and two together until I did the same thing at the second water stop. It was only a 3 mile run so I really didn't need any water, but it was cold and hit the spot when it went down. So after the second water stop and second stitch I was strugeling up a big hill pushiing on my side and two guys I passed on the bike passed me from my age group.

Bike more and run more. I've never been a fast runner so this time was expected.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank a bunch of water and gatorade then left. I knew no one at the race so had no reason to hang out in the heat. Racing with friends and having family there is much more fun than going solo. I did have a great time though. Came home and went out to lunch. Ate 3/4 of a pizza. Dinner was half of another pizza. I'm still hungry....

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of hill training and generally being a slow runner.

Event comments:

The event was well organized and the volunteers were great! I'll definitely consider this race next year.

Last updated: 2010-04-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:17 | 500 yards | 02m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/25
Overall: 140/224
Performance: Below average
Suit: pearl izumi tri shorts
Course: rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:58:38 | 18 miles | 18.42 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/25
Overall: 0/224
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Very hilly (for me) and technical and fun!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good