Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
76F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4am and started packing the truck. I started eating at 4:30am.

1 x banana
2 x hard boil eggs
8oz oj
1/2 cliff bar
1/4 cup raisins
= 600 cal
Event warmup:

Standing around talking to ppl.
Swim
  • 31m 7s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim sucked at first cause of the sun. After that got into a groove. My sitting was piss poor though. I would breaststroke to site.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really wetsuit made this a easy swim. Maybe get a better position on the start. Maybe start out faster.
Transition 1
  • 02m 49s
Comments:

Took my time here to make sure i had everything. Wetsuit got stuck on heels but wasn't to hard to remove. Concrete was hard on the feet running out.

Nothing just took my time.
Bike
  • 3h 16m 44s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.08 mile/hr
Comments:

Well at mile 40 i felt small twinges in my legs that felt like cramps. Mile 47 they started cramping and releasing on me so I had to slow pedal. I finally stopped to relax my legs and stretch my back out. My low back was killing me also. Legs felt good again after about 3-4 min so I jumped back on the bike. I'm against the wind now all the way back home knowing I have one big climb left back near the finish. I was worried at this point cause I didn't know how to handle the situation. at Mile 40 my salt tab bottle flew out of the bike pocket when I took some shot bloks. The last climb was approaching so i gained speed on the downhill and made it halfway up when they locked up on me. I had to get off the bike or fall over. At that point I'm on the ground trying to bend my legs to release them. Massive pain just like i felt at Goatneck long ago. I laid on the ground awhile and they finally released. I'm at mile 55 right now on half way up the last climb to the finish line. I finally get up and start walking up the hill. Every step they would cramp and release. Once I get to top I get on the bike and coast down to the finish. Walk my back to the rack. I sat down to relax.

No freaking clue. I would of never of guessed this would happen. My biking fitness was the best of all 3. The only thing I can think of is the Dry heat threw me off. I never felt hot or sweaty and I base everything off how I feel. My wife said my head and beard were pure white and thought it was sun lotion, but nope that was salt. I should of been taking salt tabs every 30 min.
Transition 2
  • 07m 38s
Comments:

My whole rack was on the ground with bikes all over the place. Someone threw their bike up and took down the rack. I had no idea what to do. The guy next to me just put his bike on the ground and took off. I layed mine up against the next rack. I'm sure some ppl were going to be pissed off.

HAHAHAH. No have cramps and get out of T2.
Run
  • 00m
  • 13.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

DNF. Made a half of mile and was cramping with every step. I sat on the ground waiting for them to go away but when i started running again they would lock up. I finally made the decision I'm done. I was very tough for me to quit like that.

No clue didn't
Post race
Warm down:

BEER

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition

Event comments:

Overall this is a great race. I wish it was closer so I could of pre-road the course to know what to expect. I felt like I did everything right and I really don't have any clue what happen. Those hills must of really affected me.

Last updated: 2010-04-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:07 | 2112 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 566/
Performance: Good
Suit: Xterra Vortex
Course: It was a counter clockwise course. The start was rough for me. Very brutal pushing and pulling. I forced my way through places. I couldn't see where I was going cause the sun. Your swimming right into the sun. I had to rely on the ppl in front to know where they were going.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:16:44 | 56 miles | 17.08 mile/hr
Overall: 890/
Performance: Bad
Wind: Some
Course: More challenging than what I was expecting. Overall I liked how tough it was. Real good challenging climbs that lasted awhile. Volunteers were great and I had no issues grabbing bottles while riding.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:38
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 13.1 miles |  min/mile
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Course: Driving the course look very challenging. 2 really big hills.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-28 3:15 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

2010-06-28 3:22 PM
in reply to: #2948939

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
It turned into a very hot day out there.

I've been where you were at on this course.  The dryer air is deceiving as far as sweating goes, but the salt coating lets you know just how much you sweat.

I mixed an extra strong bottle of Infinit and it helped me this year.

There's only one thing for you to do: get back on the horse that bucked you.

2010-06-28 3:59 PM

Regular
Artesia, NM
Great job and it was very humid with the rain from the night before. I had some cramping, well more tight calves from dehydration even on the sprint. I talked to one of my buds that did the race last year, he said it was very hot compared to past yrs, so conditions were not great. That wind was not fun on the bike turn around.
2010-06-29 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Rowlett, TX
Tough day all around. I know once you get your nutrition down you will be smoking some races. Yu are way to fast. Get back on it and rock the next one.
2010-06-29 2:54 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sorry about the DNF. It's certainly a tough course, and this crazy triathlon thing can really be unpredictable at times. Way to gut it out as much as you did. Great learning experience and no doubt you will get redemption soon!
2010-06-30 10:43 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Tough day brother!  Sorry about the DNF!  I hope you can bounce back and maybe seek some redemption at this God for Saken race another time!

2010-06-30 12:47 PM

User image

New user
 Good job on the swim and getting out there.  I had a DNF also and was cramping bad after the bike and called it enough. After 4 flats and no help it was time to call it off and I knew I could not get to the run. But we will have another race to come back and get it done. So lets as hard as it may be lets keep our heads up and push on.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed