Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
84F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 36m 34s
Overall Rank = 363/861
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 47/106
Pre-race routine:

Woke at 345 Ritual breakfast 3 c applesauce, 2 scoops whey powder 1/2 powerbar 1/2 gatorade, coffee x2. Prepper nutrition bottles 10 scoops perpet in 2 bottles) and bike hit the shower and off to the race site by 5. Took forever to get parked and ito transition. thankfully the slots were assigned so I went to my number and slowly started setting up. Area ready for race 15 min prior to race start.....too late. Deck changed into suit because there was no time to get in the porta pot line.1/2 powerbar around 30 prio to start...
Event warmup:

Walked down to the beach and pulled on the wetsuit with Dave got into the water and tried to stay cool prior to the gun.
Swim
  • 28m 54s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 30s / 100 meters
Comments:

Worst beginning portion of a swim I have ever experienced. First beach start and I was not ready at all for it. The washing machine was on High and I got kicked out in the spin cycle. I made it to the first turn into the sunrise and couldnt see anything. Cought about 5 breaths full of water. Needed to get out of the pack and get my head under control so I headed to the rt. Flodded the goggles to clear them and took a few extra breaths. Decided it was time to race and got back into the swim. Next 2 corners onto the long stretch were uneventful. Started catching waves before the back stretch and continued to overrun them. On the back I got caught by 1 member of the following wave. Turned for the finish and pushed it in. Swam as far up the ramp as possible and got to my feet.
What would you do differently?:

Practice dolfining at the start so I can get into the front vice hanging out in the washing machine
Transition 1
  • 02m 13s
Comments:

Ran up the ramp and jogged into transition area. Got to the bike with my suit down below my waist. Got my glasses, race belt, helmet on and then worked my suit off the feet. Slow tran, due to poor setup of the area. Got the bike and slowly walked to the mount line. Made another major mistake. Tried to mount right at the line and ended up on the ground. Shoe caught the ground as I was attemptig to avoid another racer and I fell over. first wreck on the bike with minor scrape on the hip elbow and handlebars. Lame!

Poor setup of tran area. didn't step on the suit because of the parking lot and not enough towel to step on. Not fall over mounting the bike
Bike
  • 2h 57m 52s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.89 mile/hr
Comments:

Loaner 404s
First climb out of T1 was brutal and that only started the fun. Watched a guy yard sale everything behind his saddle nearly wrecking on the first downhill. The ride started well with a tailwind out. First 30 mi things wentwithout a hitch. Nutrition plan went well but slightly behind sched with the perpetium intake. perp at 15, 45 and jel at 30 and 60. Ended up only drinking one and 1/3 bottles with 5 scoops in each (roughly 7 scoops or 3.5 hrs and 3 servings of hammer jel. Took 3 enduralites at 1 hr and 3 sports legs at 2.5 hrs along with a miracle salt. Last 20 mi started having seat issues, last 15 miles the speed fell off, running directly into the wind for 12 mi. Roads were rough and the seat started huring. Support at the 5 bottle hand up stations was awesome. Got a bottle at every one and filled the aero bottle

Keep eating and drinking. Don't take as many bottles on the ride if there are bottle ups....
Transition 2
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

dismounted at the line and the slow walk began. Went down the wrong rack so I had to go all the way thru and around to my spot. Hung the bike picked up the jel flask 5 enduralites and hat. Not sure how it took 4 min to get to in and out with a quick bathroom stop but it did.

Try to not go to the bathroom???? Guess if you gotta go you gotta go.....
Run
  • 2h 03m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Planned to go out in 9:20 ish and didnot execute well. First 2 miles were 820+/- and then I slowed it down. Took 3 jel and 5 enduralites (3 then 2) on the run. Final hills were walkers with minimal jogging if you can even call it that. Very tired but I did finish the last 2 miles well. Looked at my overall time entering the finisher shoot and nearly lost it. Had the chute all to myself, what an emotional event! Looking forward to Woodlands!

Go out slower for crying out loud! Make it 9 min as a starting pace then pick it up as i can
Post race
Warm down:

went into med tent for water and shade waited to cheer on Dave and the other trisition area folks

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough long rides with nutrition training. Too fast a start on the run. Still a little too heavy.

Event comments:

Great challenging racecourse. Outstanding volunteers, A+ support

Last updated: 2009-11-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:54 | 1931 meters | 01m 30s / 100meters
Age Group: 32/106
Overall: 207/861
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot sleveless
Course: counter clockwise rectangular course
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 78F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:13
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:57:52 | 56 miles | 18.89 mile/hr
Age Group: 59/106
Overall: 420/861
Nutrition plan was perp at 15, 45 with jel at 30 and 60. 3 euduralites at 60 and 3 more with a miracle salt at 2+30 water as needed
Wind: Strong
Course: Multiple out and back legs on a hilly windy day
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:19
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:03:15 | 13.1 miles | 09m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 49/106
Overall: 374/861
Course: Around the lake out of the park and out the energy lab road. Middle 4 miles was hard...
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-06-28 10:18 PM

User image

Regular
San Antonio
Subject: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3

2010-06-29 6:09 AM
in reply to: #2949841

User image

Champion
marietta
Subject: RE: Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3
nice job on tough course! 
2010-06-29 8:16 AM

User image

Regular

Nice Job

2010-06-30 10:54 AM

User image

Triathlete Nation ~ Texas!
Great job brother! Way to lay down a solid time!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Buffalo Springs Lake Ironman 70.3 Rss Feed