tcmarathon.org
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 2h 17m 12s
Overall Rank = 1500/2375
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 690/1321
Pre-race routine:

Stretched, ate a pb granola bar, a banana, two glasses of water and had a shot of espresso. Got to the race with enough time to stand in line for the porta-potties. Found my pace group and anxiously awaited the start. This was my first race with a pace group, so I wasn't sure what to expect.
Event warmup:

None really...the first mile was a warm up.
Run
  • 2h 17m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

Miles 1-6.5 were awesome. The rain hit between miles 2-4 and then stopped. It was a downpour, so everyone got soaking wet, the roads were wet, it was some serious rain. I kept up easily with my pace group and drank water at all the water stations after mile 4. Problems started to arise when we hit Norwegian Hill in Demming Park Heights. Everyone walked up it, except me and my pace group. Unfortunately, my pace group cruised up it and i stumbled up it. I lost them on the hill and never quite recovered. It was a difficult race mentally for me after that. I tried to catch them and pressed hard for about half a mile only to see that they weren't any closer. I had to give up and slow down. I waited for the pace group behind me to catch me, which they did around mile 8. I ran with them for two miles and then lost them, too. My right calf gave out at mile 11 and I had to stop and stretch. Thankfully, i was only a block away from the water station, so I walked to it and then started running again. I just kept going because I had, too. I wasn't going to walk anymore and I wasn't going to DNF. After mile 11, everyone was passing me. It was rough, but I survived. When I crossed the finish line, I was very relieved. I did not spring across. Didn't have the energy.
What would you do differently?:

The turn of events was losing the pace group on the hill. I run that hill on all of my long runs, so doing more hill work isn't going to fix it. I need less stress, more dedication to good training, and yoga. Yoga, yoga, yoga! I need more all around fitness. The last half I ran I was 10 lbs lighter. Biking doesn't help either since it just adds to the hip tension problems.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of water, powerade, salty chips and then had brunch. I did some stretches, yoga, and felt better. Oo, the shower helped, too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stress and not enough overall fitness.

Last updated: 2010-06-13 12:00 AM
Running
02:17:12 | 13.1 miles | 10m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/1321
Overall: 0/2375
Performance: Below average
10 mile split 1:41:26
Course: Pretty flat except at mile 6-7. Some very steep and challenging hills there.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-04 4:24 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: Red, White, & Boom!

2010-07-05 8:03 PM
in reply to: #2960864

User image

Extreme Veteran
Virginny
Subject: RE: Red, White, & Boom!
Sounds like an eventful race. Way to push through in the end! So the pace group kept the pace even up the hill? I hate losing people on hills. Happens to me all the time. Especially with Richard. He seems to sprint up hills, which is sick and twisted. (Talking bike, of course. Running, I'm no where near Richard.)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Red, White, & Boom! Rss Feed