Worl Events
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 57m
Overall Rank = 350/450
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/na
Pre-race routine:

Night before- Went to pick up race packet and lo and behold they were doing body marking that night. The web site didn't say that. Oh well, I wasn't prepared, but we worked it out. Hubby and I walked through the trans areas and drove most of the bike course. I know we should of drove all of it, but as it turns out I am glad I didn't see those hills that I was about to take on the next day. I would'nt of been able to sleep thinking about it.
This race had 2 separate transition areas, so we had to drive 3 miles away to set up T2, which was just extra water, fig newtons, running hat. My running shoes were SUPPOSED to go there too, but dumb a$$ me, forgot to pack my bike shoes so I used my running shoes for the bike. I set up T2 near the run exit. More on that later.

Ate a banana while setting up T1, as I was watching others, I noticed that no one was using a race belt, so I removed my number from my race belt and pinned to my bike shirt. This race didn't require numbers on the back while on the bike. Hubby did the same. I set up some extra water to wash our feet off, but it turned out we didn't need it. We stayed until the last moment to guard our excellent area near the bike exit. We didn't wake up at 5:30 am just so some late arrival could push our stuff over. I didn't feel too nervous until I heard a bang and realized that someone's tire had just popped. (from the heat?) I began to worry about getting a flat.
Event warmup:

I should of swam more for warm up. I only jumped in for about 5 minutes. Not enough.
Swim
  • 10m
  • 400 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

I don't breath on the left, so I just sighted to the front every few strokes to stay on course. I was worried about all the bodies, so I decided to make wide turns. I probably added many extra yards on the wide turns, but I felt good about my swim. The water was cold and clear, saw some fishies. I didn't feel tired at all. I hardly did any kicking. That Total Immersion works!
What would you do differently?:

I was faster than those in my heat, so in hindsight I don't think that I needed to go wide around the buoys. If I new that there were going to be mostly breast strokers in my heat, I would of gone to the front and hugged the buoys. I also need to practice bi lateral breathing. No worries for next time.
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I ran to T1, sat down on the grass to dry my feet, put on socks and shoes. I use yankz laces, so it didn't take long. Got up, put on bike gloves, helmet and sunglasses. Husband came in as I was pulling out my bike, he was having trouble removing his ear plugs. Good thing I was still there to pull them out. LOL! Drank some water.

I would of practiced standing while putting on my socks and shoes. Maybe put my gloves on while on the bike.
Bike
  • 57m
  • 12 miles
  • 12.63 mile/hr
Comments:

When I ran out of T1, I stopped to get on the bike, I had already set my gears to the lowest so I would have an easy time getting out to the road. That first driveway hill was difficult for me, but I made it to the top, then it was a nice gentle downhill for a while. I picked up speed, glanced at my computer which read 25 MPH, yay! Then the road leveled out for about a mile, I fell into a rythym at 18MPH, then I heard a loud, "LEFT", it was my husband dropping me behind. I wathced him disapear over the hill. A hill?!?!? oh no. I slowly made my way up that hill. Then the next and next...... My legs were shot.

On the way to T2 there was a terrible traffic jam on the road. The cars were stopped with their engines turned off. People were getting out of their cars. I was worried that someone would open their car door right in front of me, after all we were riding along side on the bike path. I started to worry that someone in the event got hurt. No, it turn out that it was a car to car accident (hope everyone is ok) and no one in the event was involved. The police made us slow down and we came to a crawling halt to through the wreckage. I watched for broken glass. Hey, I was lucky, my husband along with others up ahead of me had to actually get off their bikes and walk around the wrecks. I got past the accident and the road was free which made for easy passing. I wasn't going very fast, but there were a lot MTN bikes in the event so it seemed like I was fast.

NOTE: I don't use clipless pedals (yet), I use power grips and some good sturdy shoes that I've been training with. I forgot to pack those shoes. So I had to use my running shoes for the bike. I had practiced a bike ride with my running shoes so I knew that my toes and feet would go numb after about 5 miles. I had to remove my left foot from the grips on a down hill to shake out, then I had a hard time getting my foot back in the grips before the next hill. Panic. But I managed somehow.

Train on hills, do some hill training and practice riding some hills. Don't forget my bike shoes.
Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

I couldn't run with the bike in T2. My legs were shot. I entered the area and was shocked! There were bikes all over the place. I couldn't find a spot for my bike. Remember, I had placed my run gear near the exit, but all the bikes covering everything made it hard for me to find them. I started to panic. I can't find my stuff! Then I remembered that it was on top of a bright green blanket (husband's idea). Then I remembered that it was in the first row. Aha! I see my stuff. Yay.

I would clearly mark my area in T2, but I don't think it would stop anyone from dumping their bike on top of my area. I guess that's the breaks when you have to different T zones.
Run
  • 46m
  • 3 miles
  • 15m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

It was a fun run, but since I shot my legs on the bike, I struggled on the 2 short hills and had to walk up. It definitly ate up time. I am not a fast runner, heck, I am not a runner at all. I'm more of a jogger so I know that my times are not competitive, but I was happy with my results.

Practice running hills. Practice jogging faster, so it will resemble running.
Post race
Warm down:

I forgot to warm down and stretch. I crossed the finish line, where my husband was waiting for me with open arms. They gave me my medal and T-shirt.(photos soon) I was so happy that I forgot to take care of myself. I ate an orange and a fig newton, drank some water, but that's about it. We had to get back on our bikes and ride 3 miles back to T1 to pick up our gear. I guess that could of been my cool down.

Note: I didn't have breathing problems until the 3 mile ride back to T1, then I realized I left my enhaler there. I must keep my enhaler with me during the next event.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sore legs.

Event comments:

I had so much fun during the event, even though I struggled at times, I didn't let it get me down. I was happy to just finish. The rest of day, I basked in that feeling. The next day when I was able to see the actual results, I was elated that my times were way better than I thought they were. I guess I did push myself more than I thought I had.

Last updated: 2005-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:00 | 400 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/na
Overall: 0/450
Performance: Good
Suit: sports bra, tri top and tri shorts
Course: It was a run from the beach start. Which I liked. There were some large beach pebbles at the shore. Ouch. No cuts though. The swim course had 3 buoys. Swim out to the first, take a left on the outside of the bouy, swim towards the second bouy, which was a little farther from the shore, keep to the outside, then head for the third bouy, make another left on the outside then swim straight to shore.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:57:00 | 12 miles | 12.63 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: The start was a fairly steep driveway out to the hwy. We rode out along the hwy using a wide bike lane. That lane was smooth in some places and rough on others.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:46:00 | 03 miles | 15m 20s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back. Grass run on the way out,then downhill on the side walks. Turn into a park area, nice run along the waterfront for awhile on a board walk. The board walk felt great on the feet. Then short concrete path through the park for a short distance. Water stop, then through neiborhood on ashphalt. The rest of the course was along the hwy on the bike path. (not the same bike path as the bike course). Go to the turn around, then head back the way we came to the finish line near t2.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-11 12:43 PM

Veteran
The Emerald City
Subject: My First Tri

2005-07-11 1:13 PM
in reply to: #194909

Elite Veteran
Subject: RE: My First Tri
Congrats on a great first race! I think it would be pretty unnerving to come across a car accident during a race--way to keep your composure.

I'm so glad you had fun. When is your next one?
2005-07-12 10:49 AM
in reply to: #194962

User image

Philadelphia, south of New York and north of DC
Congrats on your first race!!!

I did my first one this weekend as well.

Feels great, doesn't it?
2005-07-12 10:30 PM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Awesome race, you done good. I race and train with my wife and we have a blast. She used to be alot faster than me but now we are very close. We probably do 75% of our training together so our races have gotten to be very close. Keep training and catch him!!! Keep up the good work.

Ken
2005-07-13 2:04 AM

User image

Expert
Great job. Finishing is everything, you can worry about times later. You are now a triathlete! The way you adapted to your setbacks is really inspiring. You kept a level head all the way. Congrats.
2005-07-13 10:41 AM

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Good job on your race!  As far as running, if you're out there and you're doing your best, then you're running.  At least in my book.

2005-07-13 10:30 PM
in reply to: #197043

User image

Veteran
Roseville, California

Awesome and inspiring race report. You really adapted well to the little glitches! Reading your RR makes me more excited to do my first tri this sat!

Pam

2005-07-14 1:36 AM

User image

molto veloce mama
congratulations, triathlete!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » My First Tri Rss Feed