Muncie Endurathon
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 02m 43s
Overall Rank = 375/664
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 29/47
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 4 am. Ate bowl of oatmeal with blueberries, hard boiled egg, coffee, banana. Drove to race site, set up transition, used the porta-potty, went down to the water.
Event warmup:

Got in water and swam a little.
Swim
  • 47m 40s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I swam this as I was thinking I will swim IM in Sept. I got into a nice flow and maintained an even effort. I wanted to exit the water feeling that I could jump back in and swim the course again. And I did feel that way upon my exit!
What would you do differently?:

If I cannot wear a wetsuit, I think I want to wear a one piece tri suit so I could have my HRM strap on. Without wearing a top, the strap would not have stayed put for the swim. I tried to swim in my top, but it was distracting so I took it and my HRM strap off and my wife put it by my bike. If I can do this at IM, I will be happy. I think I can go 1:45 for IM if I wear a wetsuit.
Transition 1
  • 03m 59s
Comments:

Took my time in T1. I walked up the hill, put HRM strap on, shirt on, sprayed some sunscreen on, shoes, helmet, beanie hat, glasses, gloves, and walked bike to mount line.

Nothing. T1 went smooth for me.
Bike
  • 2h 55m 13s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Unfortunately, this is where I get negative. My plan was to do this ride at a slow pace to practice for IM. I wanted to stay close to 140BPM for my HR and be able to feel strong off the bike, keeping in mind that I will be doubling my distances for IM. It was hard to let so many riders pass me when I knew I could go much faster, but I stayed disciplined and rode "my" race. I stayed relaxed and comfortable, just pedalling along. However, my legs and my right leg in particular starting giving me pain in the back near the top of my calf within a few miles riding. I continued to ride trying to figure out why I am having such issues with calf pain this year. I don't know if it is a bike fit issue or an old injury flaring up. I had this issue in my right leg years ago and 2 years off running, 2 MRI's, one "scope", 2 rounds of physical therapy didn't fix it. I finally started doing some calf strenghtening and that seemed to fix it and I went on with training for the last couple years completing half marathons, HIM's, etc. Now it is back. Do you think I could try the strength training again? I have been to so many bike fitters around here and I have spent hundred's of dollars trying to get dialed in. I said something to my recent fitter and he said that I need to work on my pedal technique and flexibility. Well, I do work on it some, but my pedal stroke is what it is. And at 50+ years old, I don't have the flexibility of a 20 year old even if I stretch. He also said that this is nature of triathlon due to the biking and running. Okay, but there are a lot of others competing in triathlon. Do they all have such pain on the bike that they are happy to get off it and begin running? I actually felt good running off the bike without the heaviness I usually feel when I first start out. I guess my concern is: I went slow on the bike and experienced this kind of pain. I won't be able to go 112 miles and endure that pain, let alone then run a marathon. I'm already pedaling slow and spinning at a decent cadence. I don't know what else I can do. If you have read this far, I am open to suggestions!

Push a little harder on the flats and descents. Pee on the side of the road instead of using 5 minutes to hit the porta-potty.

I was happy with my speed though. I was expecting to average 15 MPH to maintain my target HR.
Transition 2
  • 03m 56s
Comments:

I was so glad to get off the bike! I changed into my running shoes, used the porta-potty and headed out.

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 11m 56s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Walked the aid stations, ran in between. Ran with Alice Hohl, Mary Cockburn and for about 2 seconds with Mindy as she blew past me looking really strong! My calves were still bothering me, but they felt better on the run.

I would have pushed just a little harder so I could have finished under 6 hours. At one point, I did the math and thought I may be able to finish under 6 so I picked up the pace, but at mile 12 I realized I wasn't going to make it so I backed down to my target pace and finished.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around some.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Self imposed as this was a practice for IM. I was practicing relaxed transitions, pacing, mentally dealing with people passing me on a regular basis and nutrition. However, nutrition didn't get practiced so well as I left my Infinit in my motel room and had to live off the course. So I started out with regular Gatorade and gels and lived with GI distress for the first 40 miles of the bike until I picked up some Gatorade Perform on the course which seemed to settle my stomach some. I handled it well though reminding myself to control what I can, and don't stress about the rest. I was able to live off the course though that won't be my first choice for IM. I will start out with Infinit and switch to course living for the run.

Event comments:

This is probably the best race I have done. Excellent support, well organized, great swim, closed roads a real plus. I will come back and make this my "A" race one year and do much better!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-01-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:40 | 2112 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/47
Overall: 426/664
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto Forza shorts only
Course: Rectangular straight out to bouy, right turn to next bouy, right turn and back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:59
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:55:13 | 56 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 38/47
Overall: 488/664
Performance: Below average
Ave HR:139-this is 7 beats into zone 2. Max HR:159
Wind: Little
Course: Nice course that was closed to traffic! Awesome! Country roads, some riding on the Greenway path, a quick spin through a neighborhood, then down some new pavement(where I crashed in June!), then back to T2.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 86
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:56
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:11:56 | 13.1 miles | 10m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 28/47
Overall: 335/664
Performance: Average
Ave HR:153
Course: Out and back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %2
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-10 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: Muncie Endurathon

2010-07-11 9:59 AM
in reply to: #2972938

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Muncie Endurathon
Excellent report Greg!!! You did an awesome job!! I am intrigued by your calf too. Mike has been struggling again with a calf thing. Is it nutrition, electrolytes, neuromuscular problem, who knows??? Do you pedal on your toes? Just reaching here.. How did the calf feel on your swim?
Thank you for sharing such a detailed report. I feel like a sponge- I want to learn as much as I can from all of you for my race!!
2010-07-11 11:53 AM
in reply to: #2973356

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
nuttysami123 - 2010-07-11 9:59 AM Excellent report Greg!!! You did an awesome job!! I am intrigued by your calf too. Mike has been struggling again with a calf thing. Is it nutrition, electrolytes, neuromuscular problem, who knows??? Do you pedal on your toes? Just reaching here.. How did the calf feel on your swim?
Thank you for sharing such a detailed report. I feel like a sponge- I want to learn as much as I can from all of you for my race!!

Well, I have been working on pedaling heels up and dropping them when I come over the top for the power phase.  I am thinking of going back to heels down pedalling though.  At least I will think; "heels down" when I pedal.  In reality, they probably won't actually be down, but maybe by thinking; "heels up" I am up too much.  I don't know.  I watch the tour riders and they definately pedal heels up.

Today, I lowered my saddle 2mm so my heel just misses the pedal when I line it up with the seat tube and I moved my cleats as far back as they would go.  Maybe this will help.

The calf did not bother me on the swim.
2010-07-11 12:05 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
Nice job on the race.  You'll be ready for Wisconsin.  

I hear you on the calf issues.  I've been fighting mine for years, but it is always on the run.  The heat is what really gets mine going, if I get dehydrated it pops.  I switched to Salt Stick Pills this week to see if that will help it.  Another thing you may want to try is compression sleeves and see if that will help at all.  Sorry I missed you this weekend, but didn't want to risk it with this race.  I've done it before and it is a great race.  
2010-07-11 2:46 PM

User image

Veteran
Newburgh, Indiana
Great job on your race!  Just finished my report for this one and saw yours.  We finished just minutes apart.  Best of luck on your upcoming IM!

Jeff
2010-07-11 2:53 PM
in reply to: #2973473

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
mattb1 - 2010-07-11 12:05 PM Nice job on the race.  You'll be ready for Wisconsin.  

I hear you on the calf issues.  I've been fighting mine for years, but it is always on the run.  The heat is what really gets mine going, if I get dehydrated it pops.  I switched to Salt Stick Pills this week to see if that will help it.  Another thing you may want to try is compression sleeves and see if that will help at all.  Sorry I missed you this weekend, but didn't want to risk it with this race.  I've done it before and it is a great race.  

The thought entered my mind for sure.  I know they don't have conclusive evidence that they work during activity, but at this point if it won't hurt, I think I am ready to look kinda silly and try themSmile.  I wear them for travel and for recovery and they seem to help with that.  I especially notice a difference with travel.  My legs are fresher when I get to my destination and my calf usually doesn't hurt.

2010-07-11 8:08 PM

User image

Master
Columbus, Ohio
Coaching member
Greg - awesome race! It was great running with you!

You had such good discipline! I had planned to be like that, but as my IM training ramped up and I started feeling really fast, I really wanted to test myself.

Regarding your calves, do they hurt as much when you ride harder? Perhaps when you are riding easier and with higher cadence, more of your weight is on the saddle and it is pressing a nerve or something? Or something happens to your pedal stroke with less force on the pedal? 

Congrats on having a great race and maintaining discipline. I believe that is the whole enchilada at Ironman.
2010-07-11 8:38 PM

User image

Great job, Greg! Way to be self-disciplined. I have no solution suggestion for your calf issue. Hopefully you can get it worked out soon. Good luck traning for your IM!
2010-07-11 9:16 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
Great job executing the plan!  I did a HIM like that earlier this season and learned quite a bit.  Not sure about the calf issues, but I will say I wear compression socks on the bike and run and they have helped my tight calves a lot.

See you in September!
2010-07-12 8:19 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
First Great Job Greg, congrats on pushing through adversity and finishing strong.  As far as the calf issue I had these problems years ago when competing in Powerman duathlons.  I found that I was biking a little farther and faster in races that I should have put more miles under my belt.  I keep having calf problems and actual stopped racing.  Years later I have went from doing 1500 miles a year to 3000 and I have not had any calf problems.  Since you are doing longer events and getting faster you need to get your muscles use to working long and hard, they might not be able to handle the load right now.  Here's my .02 list.

1. more bike miles
2. I tried naicin flush free supplements it seem to help
3. compression socks they are worth a try not sure if the work or not.

Good luck, I have found 1/2 IM's to be harder than IM's since you push through this you will be fine at your IM.

Ron
2010-07-12 9:23 AM
in reply to: #2974583

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
rpm1418 - 2010-07-12 8:19 AM First Great Job Greg, congrats on pushing through adversity and finishing strong.  As far as the calf issue I had these problems years ago when competing in Powerman duathlons.  I found that I was biking a little farther and faster in races that I should have put more miles under my belt.  I keep having calf problems and actual stopped racing.  Years later I have went from doing 1500 miles a year to 3000 and I have not had any calf problems.  Since you are doing longer events and getting faster you need to get your muscles use to working long and hard, they might not be able to handle the load right now.  Here's my .02 list.

1. more bike miles
2. I tried naicin flush free supplements it seem to help
3. compression socks they are worth a try not sure if the work or not.

Good luck, I have found 1/2 IM's to be harder than IM's since you push through this you will be fine at your IM.

Ron

Thanks Ron.  Sorry I missed you in Muncie.  I actually thought I saw you at one point, but I couldn't get over to you in time.  I am going to Runner's Forum today to pick up a pair of Zensah Calf Sleeves.  At this point, I am going to try it despite the controversy over whether they work or not.  My bike mileage is not as high as others training for long distance events and my plan is ramping up now in the last 12 weeks since I added an extra ride to my weekly schedule.  So hopefully I will get some strength in my legs.  I started doing some calf raises and stretching several times per day and icing a couple weeks ago.  I will continue with that also!

2010-07-12 11:48 AM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Great race!  Way to stick with it thru the calf pain.  Looks like you already have lots of good suggestions to help you with the calves.  Hope you find something that works!
2010-07-12 12:11 PM

User image

Master
Lexington, KY
Good job doing your own race.  I hope you're able to work through that injury before IMWI gets here.
2010-07-12 7:45 PM

User image

Master
Central Indiana
Great report, Greg!
We were same wave, but I was running late.  Barely made it to water with the LONG line for port-a-lets. From posted times looks like you I passed you on bike & you passed me during mi 2 or 3 of the run.

Edited by Oldteen 2010-07-12 7:55 PM
2010-07-12 8:05 PM
in reply to: #2976479

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Oldteen - 2010-07-12 7:45 PM Great report, Greg!
We were same wave, but I was running late.  Barely made it to water with the LONG line for port-a-lets. From posted times looks like you I passed you on bike & you passed me during mi 2 or 3 of the run.

Well, darn!  Wish we could have met!  Maybe next time.  I rode easy on the bike, but I was still surprised at my avg. mph though.  I was expecting to avg. 15 mph.  I guess the lack of hills and wind made me faster!
2010-07-14 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Congratulations on your race!!!  Thanks for your comment on my race report...you are right, it wasn't hot but I don't know what to do with those hills or the humidity!  I got pretty lucky in that by the time I hit the last stretch on the run it was a little overcast.  Turned out to be a beautiful day!!  I hope you figure out the calf pain...that is so frustrating!  Which Ironman are you doing?  I am signing up for IMAZ11!!

2010-07-14 10:36 AM
in reply to: #2979954

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Javamom - 2010-07-14 9:47 AM Congratulations on your race!!!  Thanks for your comment on my race report...you are right, it wasn't hot but I don't know what to do with those hills or the humidity!  I got pretty lucky in that by the time I hit the last stretch on the run it was a little overcast.  Turned out to be a beautiful day!!  I hope you figure out the calf pain...that is so frustrating!  Which Ironman are you doing?  I am signing up for IMAZ11!!

IMWI.
2010-07-14 11:30 AM
in reply to: #2980172

User image

Master
Wisteria Lane
Gregkl - 2010-07-14 8:36 AM
Javamom - 2010-07-14 9:47 AM Congratulations on your race!!!  Thanks for your comment on my race report...you are right, it wasn't hot but I don't know what to do with those hills or the humidity!  I got pretty lucky in that by the time I hit the last stretch on the run it was a little overcast.  Turned out to be a beautiful day!!  I hope you figure out the calf pain...that is so frustrating!  Which Ironman are you doing?  I am signing up for IMAZ11!!

IMWI.

Very cool!!!! :>D
2011-06-29 12:23 PM

New user

hi there!  my name is Kara and this will be my first half im.  i was looking for race reports from last year and came across yours... thanks for your post, it has helped me greatly.  i am hoping for a finish time of 6:15 if all goes to plan. i really liked your comment of not stressing about what you cant control.  my main consern was on the bike and not being able to go quick enough to finish in 3:15, however, your post of an average 19 mph gives me hope!! thank you!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Muncie Endurathon Rss Feed