St. Cloud, Minnesota
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 17m 14s
Overall Rank = 21/367
Age Group = M50-59
Age Group Rank = 4/29
Pre-race routine:

Stayed at Scott's agin this year. New location for race. Honey Nut Cheerios and a banana for breakfast. Gatorade to drink. We left before Scott. I had to put my new used race wheels on at site. Got a good TA spot near bike in/out.
Event warmup:

Some biking with new wheels, realized I had left the brake levers open. Determined to leave shoes on the bike and where to get feet out. Some running, nothing too fast. I was last wave for swim so had plenty of time. We walked from TA to swim start.
Swim
  • 13m 24s
  • 810 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

This felt like a good swim and turns out it was. I went to the right side since I tend to drift left a little but I swam pretty straight. No one around me to draft off, most were to my left. This was my best swim pace yet.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

This was a terrible T1. I dropped my swim cap so went back to get it then I had all kinds of trouble getting my wetsuit off my left leg. I had not peeled the bib part off until I got to my TA spot and I think what happened is part of the upper strap went into the leg so the suit got tight. I tried step and pull and sit and peel off heel both numerous times. Finally got it off. I knew each second was precious with Charlie Roach and Larry Stracke both racing and this added to my frustration.

+55 sec in AG 11/19. A normal strength turned into at least a 30 to 45 negative.

I think peeling down the bib on the way to TA spot helps to keep the upper half outside the suit and legs.
Bike
  • 40m 31s
  • 15 miles
  • 22.21 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt this was a really good bike, I went really hard. Lot's of 2:37 miles. Garmin had 15.32 miles and 40:13 time for 22.8 pace, I may have started a little late. Going with Garmin mileage and race time gets me to 22.6 avg, so I think the 22.2 is a little low.

First race with my own used/new race wheels, HED Jet 6 front and HED Jet 3 rear disc.
Transition 2
  • 00m 42s
Comments:

2nd in AG +1 sec behing leader, this is much more like my normal transitions.

Nothing
Run
  • 20m 45s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Garmin had distance at 3.01, I may have started a little late. I caught a guy in my AG going up the last hill, the overpass on 94. I passed him but he picked up his pace and stayed with me. On the downhill to the finish we were side by side, we split one runner and then it was just us to finish. He had a little mor eleft than me about 20 yards out he edged ahead of me and I couldn't keep up. He beat me by a second. He ended up averaging 7:26 to by 6:42 on the run. We chatted some afterwards, his name was Jeff Grover and it turns out that was for 3rd place. My target pace was 6:45.

Better T1 and it wouldn't have been close. Maybe I should have waited to pass until closer to the end but I wasn't sure who else might be ahead of us. I did finish 25 seconds ahead of Larry Stracke so it's the first time I beat him.
Post race
Warm down:

Water then some pics of Barb finishing. Scott started far enough ahead of me I didn't pass him on the course. I won the 1st door prize, but it was just another towel.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was not an A race, I had some tough training leading up to the race. My first sprint of the year and I went hard on all 3 legs.

Event comments:

I finally beat Larry Stracke, one of goals for the year and then didn't even get a podium spot. I beat him by 25 seconds and in aech of the s/b/r legs. He had me by 56 secs in transitions due to my poor T1. A great race for me, very happy with my times. Too bad for me, it was my first non-podium race of the year by only 1 second and caused primarily by my bad T1.

Last updated: 2010-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:24 | 810 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/29
Overall: 88/367
Performance: Good
Suit: Desoto Black Pearl Full
Course: Point to point
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Bad Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:31 | 15 miles | 22.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/29
Overall: 21/367
Avg HR = 160 Max HR = 169 Max speed = 31.6
Wind: Little
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:42
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:20:45 | 03.1 miles | 06m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/29
Overall: 19/367
1 - 6:46 169 2 - 6:51 172 3 - 6:28 177 Avg HR = 173
Course: Out and back, 2 slight hills each way.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-12 3:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Rochester, MN
Subject: Graniteman Triathlon

2010-08-05 8:30 AM
in reply to: #2975870

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Graniteman Triathlon
I was sad that I was not able to make it to this race this year, i sounds like the new venue is a great fit. Congrats on the great race, and beating Larry, he is definately a force to be reckoned with in your AG.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Graniteman Triathlon Rss Feed