United States
86F / 30C
Sunny
Total Time = 42m 14s
Overall Rank = 87/645
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 10/46
Pre-race routine:

I got the crazy idea that it would be fun to bike a century in the morning and then run a 10k on tired legs so that's what I did. Thankfully I had an 8 hour break in between so I was able to get in some solid napping beforehand.
Event warmup:

I parked a few blocks away and then ran a little over a mile along one of my old running routes from when I used to live downtown. The legs felt less than spectacular, but slightly better than dead. I walked the rest of the way to the start line and arrived with about 2 minutes to spare
Run
  • 42m 14s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

So the strategy for the race was to go out hard and see just how long I could hold on. There was a clock at the first mile marker and it read something like 6:10 when I got to it. Whoops! Not that hard. I know I can't hold that, especially with the first hill coming up.

Heading up the hill, my friend Henry pulled up alongside me. This was another sign that I went out too hard as he's usually pulling me along during group runs. We chatted for about a minute then he took off. Eventually I hit the first turnaround and started making my way back toward downtown.

They were a lot of spectators along this part of the route, which is helpful. I heard a few people call out my name, which surprised the hell out of me. Hey, I’ve got fans! It was a couple of people I knew from my tri training group.

I hit the 5k mark at 20:53, which I was okay with. The goal was 42 minutes and I was right on track. I just needed to hold on for the last half of the race. I did the loop around downtown again and noticed the temperature at the bank had dropped from 86 to 77 in the course of the first half of the race. Sweet! Why do I feel like I'm burning up still?

The second loop was tough. My legs were starting feel it, especially up the hills. Suck it up, Sally, less than 5k to go! I kept chugging along. At one point some dude pulled up along next to me and struck up a conversation.

Dude: I hope we're still in the running for mugs.
Me: Mugs?
Dude: Yeah, top 100 finishers get mugs.
Me: Sweet!

Notice my one words sentences? Yeah, I couldn't manage much more than that. When I hit the turnaround I was happy that there was just a little over a mile left. As I started approaching downtown I knew that 42 minutes was going to be awfully close. I managed my best sprint to close things out.

Finishing clock had me at 42:07, garmin at 42:09, official time: 42:14. What? Oh well, still finished in the same place. I got handed my mug and was a little disappointed to find out it was a coffee mug. I was thinking beer mug. Hmmm, I wonder where my mind was! I guess I can use it to make Irish Coffees.

What would you do differently?:

Not much. Maybe not go out quite so hard
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a bit and drank a few glasses of water. Then I chatted with some friends and got a big ol plate of spaghetti to replenish the carbs. Yummm! I wished I could have stayed around for the party and beer, but I had a tri in less than 11 hours and I needed my beauty sleep.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I definitely didn't have my best racing legs, due to the century ride earlier in the day. This was planned though so I can't complain. Still a solid effort.

Event comments:

This was my 3rd time running this race and it hasn't disappointed yet.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-06-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:42:14 | 06.21 miles | 06m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/46
Overall: 87/645
Performance: Average
Course: 2 loop course through downtown and then out to University blvd
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-12 8:17 PM

User image

Champion
Ames, IA
Subject: Midnight Madness

2010-07-12 8:57 PM
in reply to: #2976541

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Midnight Madness
Ya know, I thought beer mug too...still a nice coffee mug and a fantastic race!  Shows what you can carry off the bike for IMOO
2010-07-13 6:38 AM

User image

Champion
Somewhere I can be nekidd
Nice job Neal, even on tired legs.
2010-07-13 12:06 PM

User image

Elite
Dude, I didn't realize you'd done that race AFTER doing a century ride? Great job!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Midnight Madness Rss Feed