Perryville, MD
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 22m 3s
Overall Rank = 104/681
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 20/87
Pre-race routine:

I had harder workouts up until Wednesday the day before the race (including a run-bike-run on Wednesday). I focused on high tempo workouts and even ran a mile or 2 day the day before the race with part of it at race pace or faster.
Event warmup:

Very little warmup. Jogged a little.
Swim
  • 23m 8s
  • 1800 yards
  • 01m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was very happy when I heard wet suits were allowed as I was trying to figure out whether or not to wear my shirt (tight under armor heat shirt) on the swim (assuming no wetsuits). I did feel a bit warm on the swim, but I was happy to have my legs floating instead of sinking. There was a little more contact in the swim than I was used to, but overall it went pretty well. I also felt like I was doing a better job of sighting the buoys than Eagleman.
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

I went with my shoes attached to the bike and no socks for the first time, which seemed to work pretty good, although I’m not sure how much time it saves since I have to slow down on the bike while I slip my feet in. It was fun to try something new.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 5s
  • 27 miles
  • 20.48 mile/hr
Comments:

My legs felt pretty good on the bike. It took me a couple weeks to recover from Eagleman and I really lost some leg strength for a while. There were a lot of very fast bikers in the race and I was amazed at the number of people that were flying by me throughout the race. I decided a few weeks ago to try the Accelerade (while exercising) and Endurox (recovery drink) instead of the Gatorade I had been using. I thought my drink was a bit thick during the race and didn’t realize until I got back to my car after the race that I accidentally used the recovery drink (Endurox) during the race. Oh well… it seemed to work OK. I just got a few extra carbs. The most eventful part of the bike was when I was slowing down to enter T2. I had slipped my feet out of my shoes and was resting them on top and flipped my right leg over the seat so I was coasting on my left pedal/shoe (Of course, this is the first time I have done this in a race). As I neared the dismount line, my left shoe unclipped which was holding on my weight. Since my hands were on my brakes, I instinctively squeezed the brakes. I proceeding to fly over my handlebars for a colorful crash. I was able to get right up and keep going, but noticed I had some blood on both legs. I decided it was better to not look and just kept on running.
Transition 2
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

My split was good since the crash occurred before the mat.
Run
  • 37m 4s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

As usual, this is the most difficult part of my race. I generally go very hard on the bike and just try to survive the run. I felt a little better than normal on the run, but still had a hard time keeping up with the many people passing me. I ran much faster the 2nd half of the run than the first and was able to makeup some ground on a few people. Within a few hundred yards of the finish I had 2 people that were 50 and 75 yards ahead of me that I was closing in on (they looked like they were probably in my age group). I decided to try to get as close as I could and sprint when I got to 100 yards of the finish. I managed to pass both of them in the last 100 yards, holding off an impending cramp in my hamstring. No matter how good or bad a race is, it’s always nice to be able to finish hard.
Post race
Warm down:

Ran a mile with Paul

Last updated: 2005-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:08 | 1800 yards | 01m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/87
Overall: 75/681
Performance: Good
Suit: Wet suit
Course: clockwise - start/stop at same location. Crawled up rubber mat at end. It was a bit hot in the wetsuit.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 78F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:19:05 | 27 miles | 20.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/87
Overall: 87/681
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Course is pretty hilly particularly on the way out and at mile 22. There is a fast stretch leading to Port Deposit.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:52
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:37:04 | 05 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/87
Overall: 174/681
Performance: Average
Course: Flat out and back.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-12 10:39 AM

New user

Clarksville, MD
Subject: Diamond in the Rough

2005-07-12 8:28 PM
in reply to: #195919

User image

Regular
King George, VA
Subject: RE: Diamond in the Rough

Steve, was this your Tri Club's race?  How did things go / how did your club do?  I bagged the Colonial Beach Tri - probably could have competed, but not competed very well.  I enjoyed the camping trip instead!

Well, great race (as usual)!

jlk

2005-07-13 1:01 AM
in reply to: #195919

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA
Subject: RE: Diamond in the Rough
Congrats on your race, and sorry about the bike crash.  Sometimes things like that just happen.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Diamond in the Rough Rss Feed