Team Magic
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 30m 40s
Overall Rank = 152/839
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/108
Pre-race routine:

Bethany and I rode up the day before. We were both really looking forward to racing, one year after having done this one as our 1st olympic. I love this race for how easy everything is...easy walk from hotel to check in, short walk to dinner, transition area/finish line in the same area. All this adds to my enjoyment of a race and helps keep me from getting stressed about all the little details.

We stayed at the Residence Inn (highly recommend) which was only about 2 city blocks from the transition area. I had a great night's sleep and got up around 5...way better than the usual 3 or 4-something for most races. I felt really relaxed pre-race setting up my transition area and had alot of fun catching up w/ lots of the 50 or so ATCers doing the race.
Event warmup:

I took a bus up to the swim start a little before 7 and got ready for my long wait to start. This is the only gripe I have about how this race is run. My number was near the end, right before the relays start, so I didn't start swimming until about 9. Maybe next year I'll luck out and have an earlier starting time! The only warm up I did was some light jogging for about 5 minutes.
Swim
  • 24m 7s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 28s / 100 yards
Comments:

2010 time- 24:07
2009 time- 25:15

I was very happy to finally get the race underway. The first 2/3rds of the swim went, uh, swimmingly, for lack of a better term! I got in a good rhythm right away and was able to stick with my 8 strokes before sighting routine. I felt like I was passing people right and left, while I tried hanging on to draft off those passing me...still gotta work on my drafting technique. My only regret is that I didn't stick close at all to the buoys where the current is supposed to be stronger.

After passing under the 2nd bridge I was swimming very close to the river bank when I started feeling the weirdest current. For a while it felt like it was pushing me hard to the right, out toward the middle of the river. Then for a minute or so it felt like I was in an endless pool with the current coming from straight in front of me. As a result, I started feeling really disoriented and a bit queasy...first time I've every felt this way in the water. I finally saw the swim exit and was VERY happy to be on dry land again. I was pleasantly surprised to see my time after the race because I had absolutely no feel for how long it took.
What would you do differently?:

Swim closer to the middle of the river and find some feet to draft off of.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

2010 time- 2:16
2009 time- 2:27

Better than average T1 for the long jog involved and size of the transition area. Heart rate was spiked as usual.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 30s
  • 26.1 miles
  • 20.74 mile/hr
Comments:

2010 time- 1:15:30 (20.7 mph)
2009 time- 1:19:32 (19.7 mph)

This is the area where I've worked the hardest and picked up the most time over last year...and the area where I still have a lot of room to improve. The bike course was tougher than I remembered from last year. The climbs are not extremely steep, but they're very long. I started the ride with my heart rate in the high 170s, while my goal was to average in the low 160s. It took me a while to settle in but I felt great when I finally did.

The only good part about starting late in the race is the ability to slingshot past all those you pass. I took the most advantage of this that .I could, getting a legal benefit as often as I could...don't hate. Before I knew it I was back to downtown Chattanooga; feeling good`but also feeling the temp. rising.

Nothing. I've got more work to do in this area, but I'm very happy to see progress.
Transition 2
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

2010 time- 1:18
2009 time- 1:14

Very happy with how T2 went. Had a little difficulty slipping running shoes on, but was out pretty quickly in comparison to others in my age group.

Nothing.
Run
  • 47m 30s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

2010 time- 47:30
2009 time- 49:22

Even though I knocked about 2 minutes off of last year's run, the 2 times are hard to compare. Last year, it was overcast and a light rain started falling right as I started the run. This was key to help me stay cool. This year, the sun was beating down and I had to work really hard just to stay cool. At each water stop I drank water or gatorade and then dumped 2 cups of water on my head.

My goal coming into the race was to run a 45 minute 10k, but the heat had me lowering the bar as each mile went on.

Mile 1- 7:49
Mile 2- 7:29
Mile 3- 7:36
Mile 4- 7:21
Mile 5- 7:40
Mile 6- 8:04
Last .2- 6:01 pace

The last 2.5 miles or so were really difficult, but I was determined to keep running as fast as I could. It was fun seeing and high fiving TONS of ATCers along the run and encouraging each other to keep gutting it out. Running up the steep hill with a mile to go I almost started walking, but I kept slowly chipping away at it anad was finally on the home stretch.

After coming down the stairwell I knew the rest of the race was downhill to the finish. I saw 2 or 3 runners with 30-something on the their calves, so I decided to sprint to the finish to hopefully move up a few spots. Who knows, with the time trial start they probably started 10 minutes after I did and beat me by 9:45!

Make it 20 degrees cooler! Heat is my biggest run limiter. Ran as hard as I could given the conditions.
Post race
Warm down:

Staggered around the finish line then ate some pizza and drank a delicious beer. Did some light stretching for the next hour or so.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat and overall conditioning.

Event comments:

I love this race! Great organization, great volunteers, great food and beer, easy logistics, and best of all, lots of teammates to enjoy it with! I will continue to do this one as long I'm racing.

Last updated: 2010-04-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:24:07 | 1640 yards | 01m 28s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/108
Overall: 0/839
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Downriver point to point in the TN river.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:16
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:30 | 26.1 miles | 20.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 29/108
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back on a highway with really long climbs and descents.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:18
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:30 | 06.21 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/108
Course: Big hill near the start, a set of stairs, then steep downhill. Then 4.5 miles really flat along a winding river path (mostly shaded, nice). Up the steep hill, down the stairs, then downhill to the finish line.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-15 7:08 PM

User image

Smyrna
Subject: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

2010-07-15 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2984040

User image

Master
Atlanta, GA
Subject: RE: Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon

Great race...it is a struggle to keep up the pace in hot conditions.   I heard the river creatures were taking nibbles at the swimmers.  Good thing you did not encounter one!  Outstanding year over year improvement especially given the significant difference in conditions. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chattanooga Waterfront Triathlon Rss Feed