General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Flagstaff, Arizona
United States
Mountain Man Events
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 59s
Overall Rank = 153/364
Age Group = F 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/23
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:30 after a good 6 hours of sleep. Had a Clif Bar, an apple, yogurt, and tea. 30 minute drive to race site.
Event warmup:

Splashed around in the water for 10 minutes and watched the first three waves take off.
Swim
  • 15m 40s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

Went easy and a bit wide as usual to avoid getting kicked. My wave was the last one and by far the smallest which was nice. There was enough of a spread between waves (7 minutes) to avoid the melee from SheRox where the slow swimmers from the waves ahead blocked everyone behind them. It was pretty much clear sailing today.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Went as planned.
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

Much faster than normal. Suit didn't get stuck. Have to take the timing chip off every time now though because it won't fit inside the suit legs, which are mid calf.
Bike
  • 37m 41s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.79 mile/hr
Comments:

Went hard but then tried to bring HR down on the last 2 miles.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Again, happy with this. Quite speedy for me. Started running while putting visor and race belt on. Didn't waste any time.
Run
  • 31m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Right out of T2 legs felt a bit wobbly but okay. Ran fine from mile .5 until I had 1 more mile to go. Got stitches on both sides and had to walk for 2 minutes. 4 women in my AG passed me. I started running again, but slowly and shuffled into the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Dunno. After 3 years of running I'm still slow. If I train more or harder I get injured. I don't think it has anything to do with my run training but with the lack of cardio fitness in the high-HR range. I was clearly out of energy during the last mile. I get stitches when I eat broccoli or when I'm "spent." Haven't had any broccoli for 2 months after I isolated it as a cause for GI problems on my runs. Except in the pool or on Snowbowl Road I rarely train in the HR/RPE range where I raced today. Just couldn't maintain it long enough.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Apart from the lack of training at a high HR, my only excuse is that I got my period during the race. No, not before or after but during. Had half anticipated it and it wasn't a big deal but it doesn't make for the best day in my cycle. Day 2 or 3 would have been okay.

Event comments:

Love this race! The weather and race conditions were perfect. It was my first race in 2007 but then I hadn't gotten to do it again since it used to be on the same day as the Olympic and HIM distance. Now they split the event into two and I could race this Sprint as a training race for the HIM in 3 weeks. I know I will slow down on the bike for that race...

Last updated: 2010-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:40 | 820 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/23
Overall: 0/364
Performance: Good
Suit: full
Course: out, over, and back to other ramp
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:18
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:37:41 | 12.43 miles | 19.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/23
Wind:
Course: out and back
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:58 | 03.1 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/23
Performance: Below average
Course: out and back
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-07-18 5:36 PM

User image

Master
Flagstaff and Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance

2010-07-19 8:56 AM
in reply to: #2988366

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Subject: RE: Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Super job, Astrid!!  You had a really good race across the board.  I understand where you're coming from on the run training.  I have the same trouble - I don't improve at lower speeds, and when I train harder/faster, I start to improve but then get injured.  If you find an effective way to add speedwork without injury, let me know.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Mountain Man Triathlon - Sprint Distance Rss Feed