General Discussion Race Reports! » Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2 - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Key Biscayne, Florida
United States
Multirace.com
81F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 09m 3s
Overall Rank = 186/668
Age Group = 185+ CLYDE / 40
Age Group Rank = 2/5
Pre-race routine:

Alarm went off at 4:00AM and I was out the door within 25 mins. Got there plenty early and setup T went out anc chekd the water and worry some but also got some meditation done. NUTRA: 1 muscle milk, plus list of supplements by 6:30
Event warmup:

did a 1/2 mi barefoor jog around the perimeter, stretched arms and legs, then swim 200 or so w/ Joe before the race started.
Swim
  • 07m 42s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

Thought the field would streamline after 1st turn but it was tight for another 100 yds or so, lots of kicking, I stayed to the inside. Pretty good sighting every 2-3 breaths.
What would you do differently?:

be more agressive - stay in the front of the wave
Transition 1
  • 03m 51s
Comments:

long swim to T run in the sand (2:37)- took a lot of energy but I had practiced the sandy run and felt OK. Once I was on the rack, I was on my shoes w/ helmet and glasses on really fast (0:45) + another 0:30 to run w bike to mount place and out the door.
pre-race I had considered the proximity of the mount area and chose to run w/ cleats (vs. clip them) this really paid off today

practice sand run as well as clipped mount
Bike
  • 28m 56s
  • 10 miles
  • 20.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Started with a tailwind and passing people right away, didnt even notice the first smaller bridge going to the Aquarium, then hit the RB @ mi 3.7, slowest speed 11mph, 1min 50 sec to reach the top. COming down maxed at 38 mph, turn around was near and I kept the inside line and felt very positive. Now was time to fight the idea of the bridge again and a headwind. Lowest speed was 8 mph near the top and took 2:35 to get over the top. Max speed on the downhill was 26 mph (remember there was a headwind now) Rode 23-25 from here to T (musthave been the INTIMIDATORS, thats the name I've given my new wheels LOL

keep the wattage steady on the flats? I don't know, I got the best bike split on my category APPROACH to T: gauge dist to dismount area better so I can get a few extra faster meters from the ride
Transition 2
  • 00m 58s
Comments:

unstrapped shoes and flipped R leg over the frame to dismount at the vey last possible inch, then ran with the bike to rack. Did a quick change of shoes and grabbed my fluid belt and visor and was out the door.

nothing
Run
  • 27m 51s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

run is improving but I need to do much better than avg (42%) if I want to keep placing, should have taken in more fluids on the bike as this was a very humid run, started overheating but then set my eyes on someone going just a little faster than me, then someone else and then after the bigger turnaround I felt well to increase to my own pace (that's the 3rd lap) then was able to sprint to the line from 7 mph to 11

Mile 1 was steady pace, mile 2 was allover the place, mile 3 was fater but steady and then a sprint for the last .1 mile

1. come into the run better hydrated
2. pace off earlier in the run / find a rhythm
Post race
Warm down:

drink water, dring some more water, and more water
pour cold water ober head and over legs

What limited your ability to perform faster:

i believe i needed more hydration this made the first 2 miles very difficult. Could have been able to take at least 1:00 min off final time, this would keep me in 2nd place though.

I also checked and would have finished 20/60 had I raced my regular 40-44 AG (placed 66%). That's not bad either

Event comments:

first race from this organizer and am happy; much better than previous guy doing the PUBLIX series. Really nice tech t-shirt, string bag and goodies. Well organized. I just wished they wouldve taken a bit more time with the awards as I didnt even hear my name nor get a chance to stand in podium. Never even saw/met cat winner #688 whom I wanted to congratulate. That said, I am looking forward to my next Multirace event.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:42 | 440 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 181/668
Performance: Good
poor HRM reception but somehow I managed to record some data AVG HR 125 bpm / MAX HR 172 bpm AVG Speed 3.2 mph (pace 18:55.mi)
Suit: TYR shorts and TYR tri top
Course: rectangular course, 50 yds in and 50 yds out + 300 across.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:51
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:56 | 10 miles | 20.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 87/668
AVH HR 168 / MAX HR 174 AVG Cadence 82 rpm AVG SP 20.75 mph / Pace 2:54/mi Start climb at 3.6 mi and again at 5.1
Wind:
Course: some wind, mostly flat excpt for Rickenbacker bridge x2 (out and back).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:58
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:51 | 03.1 miles | 08m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 358/668
Performance: Below average
AVG HR 170 bpm / MAX HR 181 bpm AVG SP: 6.5 mph / AVG Pace 9:13/mi Best lap: 3rd (8:49 pace)
Course: Flat on asphalt/concrete trail
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-18 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2

2010-07-18 9:10 PM
in reply to: #2988684

User image

Expert
Near Tampa
Subject: RE: Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2
TrkHilo2k - 2010-07-18 10:05 PM
My RR  -   Had a lot of fun and came out with a 2nd place medal-it cant get better than that!

Thx to velo for all her pre-race tips and the treat - she also placed on the podium.
1st pic is HR/Pace/Time graph if you're intersted in all this geeky stuff - my competition isn't allowed to look at it and catch my weak spots, OK?  LOL 
2010-07-19 2:35 AM
in reply to: #2988684

User image

Veteran
New York
Subject: RE: Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2
well done!!! way to finish up strong.  Great to see the improvements you're making.  keep it up!

T
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Key Biscayne Triathlon Trilogy - Race #2 Rss Feed