Race Days Events
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 28m 14s
Overall Rank = 47/224
Age Group = 25-29 M
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

Not my regular routine... One of my best friends marriage was Saturday night. The reception (if you could call it that) went long into the night, and as the best man...well, I couldn't leave. Finally got home (after being thrown around it a chair! My first Jewish wedding experience was wild)about 10:30, and layed in bed until 2:30a.m. unable to sleep. Finally just got up and did some laundry and considered not going to the race as I was pretty friggin' tired. After some coffee and a call from my parents, I decided not to miss the opportunity (as I won entrance from Xterra Wetsuits)

Got something to eat, pumped myself full of stimulants, and hastily packed my stuff and drove to the site.
Event warmup:

Got there pretty much with just enough time to set up transition (in a field...awesome...) and get in the water for a short swim. I was hesitant about not getting a chance to ride my bike in advance ( insert omen of things to come) but figured it was good to go...
Swim
  • 16m 1s
  • 875 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a bad start (for me)I felt fairly comfortable, even in the mess of people. Sighting is still a bit hairy for me in the pack, so I was basically relying on the guy in front of me's feet for guidance. About when we hit the first bouy, I felt my ankle strap coming off. I stop and catch it, re-attach it, and swim on... onto a rock that is. After some confusion (as to why the hell a rock was in the middle of the lake) I continue on. Another 100 or so meters, my chip comes off again. Fortunately, into the guy behind me's face. He returns it, and, in disgust, I shove it in my jersey pocket. Rest of the swim is uneventful.
What would you do differently?:

Work on my OWS skills... find a smaller chip strap! (how do some of you girls get it to stay on??? I have such a little amount of area to velcro on my girly ankles.)

Also, as my chip was not on my ankle... my time is more of a guess (off my timex, so it's close) since it did not record.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

Guessing on T1 as well.. but since the run from my transition to the mount line was pretty significant, I am pretty sure this was pretty close.

Shoes on the bike... I didn't because the ground, although dry (so I was able to run in cleats) was littered with junk, and was afraid of messing my foot up running barefoot.
Bike
  • 44m
  • 17 miles
  • 23.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Again, somewhat a guess on the bike as my chip didn't pick it up. It's probably just a bit faster than 44 minutes, but without official stuff we'll roll with it. Definitely NOT one of my better days on the bike. Everything started off smooth (although my friend Joe... who probably would have won, did crash out coming around the first turn... hope that road rash heals up fast dude) until the first hill. I shift down a gear or two, and realize, to my dismay, that karma of not pre-riding my bike has come back to haunt me. My gears are almost ALL off.

After some testing, I can reliably shift into... 53/12, 53/13, 53/25, 39/12, 39/13, 39/25. Other gears are all over the place, and barrel adjustment on the fly doesn't fix it. Crap. I look like a real toolbag going up hills I know. Such a costly mistake that could have been solved while I was being an Insomniac the night before. At this point, things are at a very low point, and I consider just stopping right there. Realizing it'll take hours before I get picked up probably and taking an on the go cup of HTFU, I press on. Finally, we turn back onto the long straightaway back to Transition, and I go the last couple of miles in a big(gest) gear grind.

Always check my equipment beforehand. Looking back, I should have used to time I did warming up for the swim pre-riding my bike... but I digress.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Orange cones... way too far out with no volunteer. I begin to dismount when my mom (thanks mom) yells "NOT HERE!!!" which saves me some embarrassment and a LOOONG run to the real dismount line. I make it, try to clean my feet off a bit, get my socks/shoes (and re-strap my timing chip) on and... run out the wrong way... Again... my mistake, but c'mon...volunteer please. I add another 15 seconds to what would have been a wonderful T2.

Get my head on straight.
Run
  • 26m 14s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

I come out of T2 without my game face on. It's getting hot, I've had a bad day, and I see that I have my work cut out for me if I'm going to catch anyone. I get the first 1/2 mile out at a solid pace, but then, at the turnaround in the parking lot, the caffeine/stacker/RedBull/Sugar concoction I took before racing has run it's course. I hit the wall...hard. As my physical performance plummets, my mind quickly follows. Everything seems to be piling on, and all I want to do is walk back to Transition, get my stuff, and go home and go to bed.

My mom (again, thanks mom) see's my thoughts on my face, and saves me with some encouragement ("Why did you show up today if you are going to quit almost at the finish!!??" yes, my mom is into that *tough love* haha)

With some new vigor from somewhere (maybe knowing my mom would only be disappointed if I quit) I catch onto a girl setting a pretty good pace and go into "hold on, even if it kills you" mode. Finally, I see the arches and put in a final sprint, although I refrain from passing the girl in front of me, as she deserved to finish ahead of me after pulling me the last mile.

Everything on my run ;)
Post race
Warm down:

Water. I quickly take my stuff from transition and clean my stuff. I also find out about Joe and his wreck. A little stretching and another bit of a pep-talk from my family helps a bit...

I felt like a real @ss, both for not performing how I thought I should have, and more importantly, for not being a gracious finisher (I was quite upset with myself)

In a final act of comedy, I get 3rd in my AG... due completely to the fact that most of my AG got awards for Overall wins ;)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Sleep.
Mechanical.
Mental.

Event comments:

RDE put on a good show, as always.

Last updated: 2010-06-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:01 | 875 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/224
Performance: Average
Suit: No
Course: A big "J" shape. 300m out, 100m over, 400m back to shore.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:00 | 17 miles | 23.18 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 36/224
Performance: Below average
Wind: None
Course: Very straightforward course, only what... 3 turns. Clean, fast (just some rollers) and good.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 78
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:26:14 | 03.1 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/13
Overall: 92/224
Performance: Below average
Course: Around the dam and through parking lots we go... some off-road pieces as well.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 9:20 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
Subject: Tellico Sprint

2010-07-19 12:32 PM
in reply to: #2989383

User image

Veteran
Seattle, Washington
Subject: RE: Tellico Sprint
You still pulled out a 23+mph average with only 4-5 gears working reliably? That's great! Despite everything it looks like you were able to pull together a good race.  You have solid motivation!! And you still podiumed in the AG!! Nice job fellow insomniac!
2010-07-22 12:10 PM
in reply to: #2989383

User image

New user

Subject: RE: Tellico Sprint

I love the mom-motivator!  If you can package that, I'd buy it; might help my times.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tellico Sprint Rss Feed