Korff Enterprises
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 43m 6s
Overall Rank = 860/2307
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 122/363
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 330am, quick shower, loaded the car and headed up the upper west side. Had a coffee and peanut butter and nutella sandwich in the car, as well as a bottle of water & bottle of gatorade perform while waiting around for swim start.

Event warmup:

No warm-up per se, approximately 1.5 miles of walking between car, transition, and swim start. Did some active stretching before putting on my wetsuit.
Swim
  • 18m 21s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

A mediocre swim overall, especially given that it is my strong suit. My time puts me in a good place within my age group - I was expecting much faster given the projected currents. The only thing I can think of is that the current slacked off some as a training partner of mine in an earlier wave (who is a much slower swimmer) ended up with around the same swim time as me.
What would you do differently?:

Still work to be done on my sighting and drafting, especially in water with no visibility.
Transition 1
  • 04m 47s
Comments:

Good T1 overall. Loooong run from water into transition. Time spent in transition itself felt less than previous races, didn't have any disorientation/dizziness when getting out of water and stripping wetsuit. Shoes went on quick (+1 for baby powder in shoes), a very quick drink of water and I was on my way.

I'd say this was a good transition overall, especially given the long run in and long run with bike out. My time was *well* below the race and age group averages.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 3s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.95 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went pretty well overall. Took in an aerodrink full of water, half-bottle of gatorade perform, and a pack of extra sodium shot blocks (200 cals) over the course, was just the right amount to exit the bike feeling well hydrated and ready to move.

Even though the hills here are mild by comparison, until I pick up some additional strength and drop some weight I likely should switch to a different rear cassette or compact cranks.

Continue working at maintaining constant cadence - less coasting on flats to moderate downhills.

Hill work, more hill work. Higher cadence on hills will come with this as well.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

Good transition. I still haven't mastered the art of getting socks on slightly damp feet since I bike barefoot.

Baby power inside socks (??) to ease getting them on perhaps?
Run
  • 54m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Surprisingly OK run despite the heat and a bunch of walking.

Took in water + dumped a cup of water on my head at every aid station (every mile) and still felt I couldn't keep my body temp down. Felt pretty well hydrated all things considered.

Decided to walk for a few sections along the hillier parts of the course. Looking back at my garmin data, these walk sections cost me around 2-3 minutes overall. Also looking back, just pushing it and running through these probably wouldn't have done any harm long term.

Continue to push it. Running is my weak spot, so 8:48 averages including the walking in the heat & humidity is not too shabby.
Post race
Warm down:

Cold towel over the head, a few bottles of water, a bottle of cytomax, stretching, ~1.5 mile walk from finish to hotel my parents were staying at for a shower and change into street clothes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

-Swim sighting and drafting
-Bike fitness on hills
-Running in high heat/humidity

Last updated: 2010-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:21 | 1640 yards | 01m 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/363
Overall: 807/2307
Performance: Average
Suit: Full suit
Course: Point to point between barges, downriver
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:47
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:23:03 | 24.85 miles | 17.95 mile/hr
Overall: 1338/2307
Performance: Average
HR was high (170ish) out of transition but I managed to get things under control in the first 2-3 miles. Again, much better overall than the last race - I'm finally starting to get used to racing again and getting the adrenaline under control.
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: A fun course overall, with a few hills...I don't like hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:38 | 06.21 miles | 08m 48s  min/mile
Overall: 1173/2307
Performance: Good
Course: Hot, hilly
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 11:27 AM

User image

Regular
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2010-07-19 12:57 PM
in reply to: #2989838

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon
Nice job! I saw a few people with BTC uniforms. Were you one of them?

I wore socks as well. What worked for me is rolling them off my feet, and leaving them rolled up. In T2, I just rolled them back up onto my feet. No baby powder needed.
2010-08-24 9:09 AM
in reply to: #2990141

User image

Regular
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon
jmk-brooklyn - 2010-07-19 1:57 PM Nice job! I saw a few people with BTC uniforms. Were you one of them? I wore socks as well. What worked for me is rolling them off my feet, and leaving them rolled up. In T2, I just rolled them back up onto my feet. No baby powder needed.

I was in a TNT jersey.  I do train (and race) with the BTC folks, just don't have a uniform - the champion systems kit never seems to fit me properly.

Appreciate the sock advice, I've been trying a few different things during bricks and practice transitions - a combination of rolling the sock + baby powder seems to keep things moving very smoothly for me.

-matthew
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica New York City Triathlon Rss Feed