General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
indianapolis, Indiana
United States
Tuxedo Brothers
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 13m 58s
Overall Rank = 215/559
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/
Pre-race routine:

I was a little lax getting prepared for this race. The Dude and I had date night on Friday night and ended up seeing a late movie. It was after midnight by the time we got home. I got all my gear together, or so I thought, and set my alarm for early o'clock. I dragged myself out of bed, grabbed a quick shower, made some breakfast, and loaded the car. I was on the road just before 6am. At 6:05 I remembered my sunglasses. Or rather, I remembered that I didn't pack them. After a quick trip back to the house and a frantic search for my shades, I was back on the road at 6:15. Now I was running late. I finally got to the park and found a parking spot around 7:15. I grabbed my gear out of the car, aired the tires, and rode to the start site. I made it to the front of the line to get my packet and the lady asked for my ID. I gave her my drivers license and she asked for my USAT ID. Crap. It's in the car. Luckily she let me go without making me hike back to the car for the ID. Finally, I got marked, set up my transition, make a quick trip to the porta-potty and it was time to line up for the swim.
Event warmup:

No warmup necessary. I worked myself into a frenzy trying to get setup and ready in time for the start.
Swim
  • 12m 15s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 27s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was more than just a little disappointed with the time for this swim. I was expecting to come out of the water in the 10-11 minute range. I felt good the whole swim, no panic, smooth stroke, etc, etc. After analyzing things I think I can attribute this time to a few things. (1)I was trying to have a nice relaxed swim so maybe I just took it a little too easy. (2) On the registration we were asked to rank our swimming ability. As a 2min/100meter swimming, I ranked myself as average. Triathletes are notoriously bad at ranking their swimming ability and the swimmers that went at the same time as me were NOT average. They were below average. (Who wants to call themselves "below average". I'm guessing not many folks like the sound of that and just rounded up to "average".) In the first 100 meters I ran into people floundering on their backs, breaststroking, doggie paddling, you name it. I had to navigate around a lot of folks. (3) My navigation skills are poor. I was zig-zagging too much. Actually, my navigation was fine. I just couldn't swim in a straight line.
What would you do differently?:

I should have choosen a better line and just stuck with it. I spent too much time either boxed in or going around. Trying to change my line all the time meant I was sighting all the time. Head up = ass down = slow.
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Just an average transition. I set all my things out neatly and was able to grab and go. I still haven't learned to get into my shoes on the go so, once again, it was a clippity, cloppity run to the mount line.
Bike
  • 33m 38s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.84 mile/hr
Comments:

I thought I pushed pretty hard on the bike but I still ended up with a less than stellar time. I had to sit behind some slower traffic a few times to let some faster riders thru. I had to come out of aero and brake on some of the faster, curvy downhill sections because my handling still isn't the best when I'm in aero. I'm a slow climber. I just threw it into a smaller gear and spun to the top. All that being said, I'm still happy with my bike performance. I feel like I rode at the appropriate RPE and left myself with enough for a solid run.
Transition 2
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

My official listed time for T2 was 2 seconds which is off by a couple two or three seconds. I'm guesstimating my T2 based on last year's time. I was racked in about the same spot as last year and the in/out spots were identical. It was a loooonnnggg run in my bike shoes from mount line to rack made just a little bit longer because I forgot how to count, ran one rack to far, and had to back it up. After that it was a smooth transtion.
Run
  • 24m 52s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 17s  min/mile
Comments:

There's two possiblities with my T2 time - it was either added to the bike or to the run. If it was added to the bike then I raced at a respectable 18.7 mph and had an abysmal run. If it was added to the run then I had a meh kind of bike and a meh kind of run. I picking option two because it's my race report and I'm the decider. So there.

The run headed out the same way as the bike - uphill. It was hard to get the legs churning to the top but after that it was a fairly flat run. It was starting to get hot out there so I just suffered along as best as I could knowing that it was only three miles. Again, I was hoping to be a little faster than this but in retrospect I think I ran at the right pace.
Post race
Event comments:

I was not as fast as I hoped I would be but I still ran a solid race. I was happy to find that I wasn't sore the day after so I know, at the very least, that I raced within my ability. This was not an A race so I'm just going to shrug it off and move on. I had fun. I learned a few things. I saw lots of hotties in lycra. All in all, not a bad day.

Last updated: 2010-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:15 | 500 meters | 02m 27s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 195/559
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Easy loop - straight out to first bouy, right hand turn, out to second bouy, right hand turn, into shore.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 83F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:29
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:38 | 10 miles | 17.84 mile/hr
Overall: 291/559
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Out and back course. Uphill right off the bat followed by a curvy downhill section. Once we were out of the park it was mostly flat with a few small hills. After the turnaround the terrain is, not surprisingly, just the opposite.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:40
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:52 | 03 miles | 08m 17s  min/mile
Overall: 0/559
Performance:
Course: 1.5 miles out. 1.5 miles back. Uphill to start. Downhill to finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2010-07-19 3:18 PM

User image

Master
Lafayette, IN
Subject: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series

2010-07-20 5:53 PM
in reply to: #2990669

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series
Darn girl!  If that was "Meh"  for the bike & run then it's a good thing we live far away!  you would SMOKE my butt!

Nice work!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Indianapolis Sprint Triathlon Series Rss Feed