Running Fit
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 9s
Overall Rank = 36/435
Age Group = M20-24
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Drove up to the race site. Evening race which was different.
Event warmup:

Jog, stretch. I tried to go for a swim about 10 min before the first wave start, but they pulled everyone out of the water around then. Oh well.
Swim
  • 17m 50s
  • 880 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ugggg terrible swim. I havent really had the chance to swim due to the move from Florida to Michigan for the past month, and it showed. I was also anticipating a wetsuit swim, and it would have been the day before, but the race day, nope. 79 degrees. I really have to wonder where they took the temp though, as there were some legit cold parts of the lake.

The lack of swim practice hurt me, as I didnt get into a rythem until about 3/4 of the way through. I dont know, my heart rate was skyrocketed and I went right through my lactic threshold within the first 150 yards. then i psyched myself out and couldnt convice myself to swim freestyle.

Oh well, room to improve.
Transition 1
  • 00m 52s
Comments:

Ummm... Out of the water, ran to rack (which was set up really weird. I had to run all the way to the edge of transition and then back to the middle. Not exactly the fairest setup with the in/out locations if you were all the way over like me) Helmet/sunglasses/socks and took off running. Did a "modified" flying mount. I just took it really slow and then off i went.
Bike
  • 31m 57s
  • 12.4 miles
  • 23.29 mile/hr
Comments:

Took off and I didnt think I was riding as fast as I was. Bike mount area is on the grass, so I started in a much lower gear than usual. Mental note to self, I need to start in an even lower gear. Got my feet into my shoes and took off. My goal was to make up the serious time loss I got from the swim (again...). This was the hilliest course I have ever riden (not saying much is it) But I remembered to keep up my speed for the downhills to make it up the other side with as much momentum as possible. There was a lot of people just coasting down the hills. About two miles in, I realized that my cruise gear (22 mph) was having trouble getting into it as I downshifted. So I was having to double shift up to get it to go up. Weird, I tested it all out right before the race. Kept hammering. Only a 12 mile course. Halfway through there is a set of train tracks though. I wasnt ready for that at all! Hit them at top speed and.... My water bottle ejected. SO stop, get waterbottle, secure it, and then get going. About 5 people I had just passed went right back by me. Very annoying. The way back was uneventful, keeping the average speed around 25-26 mph.

Finished with the 13th fastest bike split, including a stop in the middle . Without the stop (30 seconds) and the slow down/speed up time, my split probably would have been around 24 mph. Oh well.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

Flying dismount, no issues, rack bike, helmet off, shoes on. I have this transition down.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get elastic laces. Tying my shoes continues to cost me serious time.
Run
  • 22m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

Run started out with a good mile uphill. I wasnt ready for it. This coupled with some side stiches coming on just turned my run to crap. Oh well. I should see an improvement next time. More run training in the future.
Post race
Warm down:

walk around, a slight jog.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A move from FL to MI. Also trying to re-discover some training routes. General unprepardness. Not trying to complain or make excuses, it just wasnt what i was hoping for.

Event comments:

It is going to take a while getting used to hills on the bike and run.... Man I enjoyed training and racing on pancake flat roads! It was a fun yet challenging course, and the fact that there are two more races over the exact same course should help figure out if I am improving or not.

Post race was a complete crazy show. No organization to awards or anything. I dont really care, but I mean one guy trying to talk over everyone just didnt work.

Last updated: 2010-03-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:17:50 | 880 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 8/15
Overall: 0/435
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 79F / 26C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:52
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:57 | 12.4 miles | 23.29 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 13/435
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:42 | 03.1 miles | 07m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/15
Overall: 40/435
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-07-21 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Severna Park, MD
Subject: Triceratops Tri

2011-07-05 12:18 PM
in reply to: #2996346

Subject: RE: Triceratops Tri

You have posted copyrighted photos on the internet...this is ILLEGAL and are, therefore, required to remove them immediately. When you PURCHASE the files, you are granted license allowing you to legally post, share etc. Until then, this is copyright infringement.

GS Photo works VERY hard offering memories of various events. We are a very small Michigan company and I'm sure you can appreciate with the economy issues we are extremely upset with this type of actibvity. Thank you for your attention in this matter.

Greg Sadler

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triceratops Tri Rss Feed