United States
FS Series
Sunny
Total Time = 44m 9s
Overall Rank = 75/85
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up congested with a headache and my contact lens had scratched an eye. I removed my lenses hoping I could put in a fresh pair at the race site; but it was red and swollen, so contacts were not an option. Thank goodness I had bought perscription goggles as a backup, but I really hadn't used them before. Nothing new on race day, right? I had no choice but to wear the new goggles and they worked out fine. I just had to suck up the discomfort from the scratched eye and congestion.
Event warmup:

Swam to first buoy and back.
Swim
  • 44m 9s
  • 1760 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ran out (was shallow for a long ways), dove in, started swimming to first buoy but had gone out just a little too fast and had to slow down to get breathing regulated. Got into a groove and decided to go with it. I should have pushed harder, but I felt pretty close to my OW training pace, or so I thought. My expectation was 40 min. which is not fast, but what I thought I could hold. I suppose the distace could have been off a little with navagation and it got REALLY choppy out there. I thought I was getting jostled by other swimmers but I was alone! I was like, "where is all of the chop coming from?" Was rough water.
What would you do differently?:

I just don't even know. I've had a couple of lessons with a coach which I thought ironed out my form. Maybe I need to have a few more lessons.

I've ordered the DVD, Powerstroke: Speed through Force and Form; should be here soon

I wish I could swim more than 3 time a week, but I just can't squeeze it in.

I wasn't going to bother with a race report for this little race, but decided it is what it is and I need to figure out a way to improve it. This was my first time racing this distance with no wetsuit; so I needed to know a baseline.
Post race
Warm down:

Me and James after the race with Scottie in the background!

Photobucket

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics.

Last updated: 2010-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:44:09 | 1760 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/85
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Clockwise triangle.
Start type: Run Plus: