Deseret News Marathon
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 45m 31s
Overall Rank = ~600/2500
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 41/154
Pre-race routine:

Woke up and met with the rest of the group to carpool up to the start line of the 10K.
Event warmup:

Didn't really get a chance to stretch or warm up :( We showed up just before the gun went off and we had to start running, so I just tried to warm up in the first bit of the run. Not sure if running a sub 7 min/mi is "warm-up", so that's probably why I'm so stiff and sore right now as I type this :)
Run
  • 45m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran the first three miles well, holding a 6:45-7:00/mi pace. Then it started to get tougher and I slowed up a bit to 7:30s. In my 6th mile, I had a rotten mile of about 8:15/mi pace (I stopped and walked part of it :() and then I went for it in the last 2 tenths to eek a 7:00/mi pace through it to the finish. All in all, I was still able to beat my previous years' times, so I felt good about it. If I was really serious about the 10K, I would have been track training with lots of speedwork. But it's mostly for fun, so I think I did pretty well all things considered.
What would you do differently?:

Train more seriously for this race to see what kind of PR I could put up if I was tuned for the 10K. I would like to break the 7:00/mi barrier next time. I think I was close, but was not trained well enough physically or mentally to do it. We'll see if I get to do it next year, and maybe I'll try it :)
Post race
Warm down:

Stretching and chatting with friends about the race while sipping on the provided Jamba Juice at the finish. I was definitely at my edge when I crossed the finish line. Felt a bit light-headed, so I took a minute to catch my breath after crossing, and had some water also.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental willingness to really push through my pain and just keep running when it hurt really bad. I was proud of myself for pushing through alot of the course I've previously walked through though. If I can master the technique of blocking and pushing through pain, I think I could easily squeeze out another 30-45 sec/mi to really nail this race. Fortunately I've got many years left in me to try it! :)

Event comments:

I like this race. It's not the most well organized or the most fun at the start or end, but it's easy to zip over to this race without having to get up too early, and get in a quick 10K run with lots of other people. Plus, now I've done it four times, so I've got quite a track record to compete against myself. I know this course now, and it gives me something to constantly keep shaving time off of :)

Last updated: 2010-07-12 12:00 AM
Running
00:45:31 | 06.21 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 41/154
Overall: 154/2500
Performance: Good
Course: Mostly downhill from the University of Utah campus toward downtown Salt Lake, with the very last couple of miles flattening out and then heading back uphill toward Liberty Park. A great, fast course if you're looking for fast times :)
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes