United States
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 19m 35s
Overall Rank = 128/347
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 21/67
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 4AM and felt like crud. I think the OWS yesterday gave me some serious allergy problems. Not a great way to wake up on race day.

Had an ensure, bagel w/peanut butter, coffee and OJ.
Event warmup:

A quick bike, run and then swim.
Swim
  • 37m 39s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

a litte disappointed in the time but it does include a rather long transition run plus I used the wet suit strippers so that took some time also.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really - everything went fine.
Transition 1
  • 01m 58s
Comments:

Spent a few seconds chatting with a tri club bud. Probably should save the conversations for after the race.
Bike
  • 2h 40m 38s
  • 56 miles
  • 20.92 mile/hr
Comments:

I took the first 20 miles pretty easy - my HR was a bit elevated so I was trying to get that under control. Someone's poor dog was in the middle of the bike course - no idea how I managed to miss it!

I stopped around the 40 (?) mile mark to help someone out - she needed a tube with a long stem which I happened to have. Hopefully she was able to get her flat fixed and get back to racing.

Nothing, I paced it perfectly. I wanted to come in with normalized power around 185 and it ended up being 184.
Transition 2
  • 02m 4s
Run
  • 1h 57m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 57s  min/mile
Comments:

Julie and I were both spent from all the training heading into the race so we knew this was going to be tough run.

I was hoping to go 8:45 per mile or better but I knew right away that wasn't going to happen so 3 miles in the new goal was to simply not walk except through aid stations. Which I managed.

Also, my "real" pace was around a 9:13 mile - the run was short. Both our garmins read around 12.7x miles not 13.1.

I was really happy that the heat didn't get to me. I think all our long runs in heat and humidity are finally paying off. No doubt the heat did slow me down but mentally it didn't bother me at all. I was drinking lots and shoving ice cubes everywhere :)

Nothing really - all things considered the run went ok. I improved my run time over last year with zero taper and after a tougher bike course.
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed some cold water and a coke and then stuck my feet in one of the ice buckets they had near the finish line. Wow that felt good! Then waited for Julie to finish - which didn't take long - she was only 5 or 6 minutes behind me.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

no taper and being just generally tired heading into the race.

Event comments:

I have my issues with this race - namely they can't seem to get the swim and run distances right. Last year the swim was short, this year I think it was real close. However the run is still short. It would be nice if they could find the .4 miles somewhere...

But, I thought the run course volunteers were outstanding. The aid stations had tons of water, gatorade, and ice. Plus lots of residents out there with garden hoses which really helped!

I even had one volunteer offer to go to her car to get me a coke! I declined but I appreciated the offer.

Last updated: 2010-02-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:39 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/67
Overall: 67/347
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:58
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:40:38 | 56 miles | 20.92 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/67
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: I really enjoyed this course. Last year it was all flat and pretty dang boring. The new course is still mostly flat but at least there's a few hills to keep you honest. It also had long stretches on really smooth roads.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:04
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:57:15 | 13.1 miles | 08m 57s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/67
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-07-26 11:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Subject: Chisago Lakes Triathlon Half Iron

2010-07-26 12:49 PM
in reply to: #3004755

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
Subject: RE: Chisago Lakes Triathlon Half Iron

Thank you so much for stopping to help my friend!  That was her second flat of the day and she only had one tube onboard.  It was her first half and she finished well, even with the flats.  She really appreciated your help.  Double bonus karma points for you! 

2010-07-26 1:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Glad I could help and its good to hear that she was able to keep racing.  Now tell her she owes me $3.00 for the tube  

2010-07-26 5:26 PM
in reply to: #3005209

User image

Regular
Central MN
Congrats on the finish and that was really awesome to have helped out a fellow athlete in need. Good luck to you with the training leading up to Madison.
2010-07-27 11:13 AM

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Nice race!

I totally agree on shoving ice everywhere...I even zipped my top up so I could store some, and then ate them between aid stations!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Chisago Lakes Triathlon Half Iron Rss Feed