General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My "diet" philosophy Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 4

2005-07-22 5:15 PM
in reply to: #199117

User image

Elite
In my bunk with new shoes and purple sweats.
Subject: RE: My "diet" philosophy
Hey, started back in the weight room today. Not a lot of time available but it sure felt good. Had a nice slow swim afterwards.
Did my circuit workout for shoulders and abs. Makes the swim that much more enjoyable.

2005-07-24 12:33 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Zealand
Hi Joel,

Heres a question I have been wondering about for a while.   On Fitday my target calories are: Calories in 1918, Calories out 2,466 - restriction 548 so I can lose weight.   My question is that I have a very high HR when exercising eg When I go for my 5km runs my average HR is around 174 bpm, to me this is my HR where I could keep on running forever.  Resting HR is around 65-68.  According to my HRM the calories I burnt over that run is around 500 to 550 calories.   However when running with my friend her HRM says she has only burnt about 1/2 that amount of calories, but we are at similar fitness levels and running at the same perceived effort.

My question is, am I really burning that many calories when I'm running?   Should I be eating these extra calories while still having a 500 calorie restriction?   Is my body just used to burning this many calories when exercising since I have a high heart rate, and should I just eat maybe half of my exercise calories burnt as this is what 'normal' people would burn off when they are running?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Kelly

2005-07-24 11:43 AM

User image

Master
South Florida

fyi..average calorie burn for a run is 100 calories per mile...but everyone is different-diff. pace, diff. metabolism, diff. weight and height.  this is a ball park. 

2005-07-24 7:02 PM
in reply to: #205703

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
This is getting beyond what I feel comfortable saying I know something about without talking out of my @ss.  So with that disclaimer, here's my opinion   Your resting HR is relatively high...most people are down in the 40's.  That, plus your high average HR while training (assuming 174 is something you can comfortably maintain for 60min or more, suggests that you probably also have a very high HRmax.  Have you ever tested your HRmax or LT?  I would guess that this means you have a relatively high metabolism also...is it easy for you to drop weight, can you eat a fairly loose diet without quickly gaining weight?  The only way to know how many calories you are actually burning is by measuring how much oxygen you consume during a specific period of exercise.  Your HRM estimates this by knowing how many times your heart pumped, and estimating the volume of blood per pump and the amount of oxygen transported with each pump.  These are rough estimates based on your weight, age, and level of fitness (better HRMs take more personal parameters into consideration but in the end it's still just a good guess and may be more or less accurate for an individual).  With that being said, I don' really have a good answer for you.  I'd suggest giving your HRM the benefit of the doubt for now and assuming what it estimates is fairly accurate.  You'll just need to monitor your weight and see if you are loosing about 1lb per week on average or not.  If you're really interested to figure this out then you should look into having your Vo2max, HRmax, and LT tested clinically.  A trained exercise physiologist would be able to take this data and give you more specific advice.
kellyg - 2005-07-24 1:33 AMHi Joel,

Heres a question I have been wondering about for a while. On Fitday my target calories are: Calories in 1918, Calories out 2,466 - restriction 548 so I can lose weight. My question is that I have a very high HR when exercising eg When I go for my 5km runs my average HR is around 174 bpm, to me this is my HR where I could keep on running forever. Resting HR is around 65-68. According to my HRM the calories I burnt over that run is around 500 to 550 calories. However when running with my friend her HRM says she has only burnt about 1/2 that amount of calories, but we are at similar fitness levels and running at the same perceived effort.

My question is, am I really burning that many calories when I'm running? Should I be eating these extra calories while still having a 500 calorie restriction? Is my body just used to burning this many calories when exercising since I have a high heart rate, and should I just eat maybe half of my exercise calories burnt as this is what 'normal' people would burn off when they are running?

Thanks for any help you can give me,
Kelly

2005-07-24 8:11 PM
in reply to: #205895

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Zealand

Hi there Thanks for the reply,  I was thinking the same sort of things as you in regards to if my HR is high during exercise and I can carry on exercising at that rate for 60 minutes or so, then my metabloism should be pretty high, unfortunatley for me it doesn't seem to be the case, I put weight on easily and have a hard job losing it, might just cut back on the extrra calories I eat if I have been exercising but not cut them back too much and see how that goes over the next month or so,

Thanks

Kelly

2005-07-27 2:47 PM
in reply to: #203143

Veteran
The Emerald City
TH3_FRB - 2005-07-20 10:29 AM

Could be a concern, especially for women.  Although I'm not sure how much mercury you would expose yourself to from a single 6.5oz can per pay.  I average 5-7 cans of tuna per week.  Anyone find any data online to suggest what the concentrations are in canned albacore products?  I'd be interested in knowing...although I doubt it's anything I'd be too concerned with personally.

btaz2 - 2005-07-19 7:05 PM The only thing that you have to be careful with is the tuna. The albacore has a higher amount of mercury in it and that can be dangerous.

Here is  a link to FDA mercury list.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~frf/sea-mehg.html

I have a nutritionalist who also advises against eating albacore tuna because of mercury concerns.  She says that the chuck, light, packed in water tuna is fine to eat.

2005-07-27 2:58 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Thanks for the link.  Chunck light may be a better choice as far as mercury goes but it tastes like poo IMHO
2005-07-29 12:48 PM
in reply to: #209065

Veteran
The Emerald City

TH3_FRB - 2005-07-27 12:58 PM Thanks for the link.  Chunck light may be a better choice as far as mercury goes but it tastes like poo IMHO

I agree.  Have you tried the starkist tuna in the packet.  Much better than canned and doesn't taste like poo.

2005-07-29 1:17 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I think I tried it once.  It's got a better taste and texture since it's not packed in water.  I'm not losing any sleep over the mercury in albacore though...at least not at only 1 can per day.
2005-08-04 8:40 PM
in reply to: #209065

User image

Elite
Bay Area, CA

Thanks for the link.  Chunck light may be a better choice as far as mercury goes but it tastes like poo IMHO

Sheesh!  Don't be dissin' my chunk light in water!  I love that stuff. 

Now the stuff packed in oil on the other hand...

2005-08-04 11:10 PM
in reply to: #216979

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Sorry man, chunk light rocks!  Seriously though, I just prefer the firmer texture of solid white albacore...and it's got a wee bit more protein per can.

cadreamer - 2005-08-04 9:40 PM

Thanks for the link. Chunck light may be a better choice as far as mercury goes but it tastes like poo IMHO

Sheesh! Don't be dissin' my chunk light in water! I love that stuff.

Now the stuff packed in oil on the other hand...

2005-08-31 2:00 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Bumping back to the first page...
2005-08-31 8:42 PM

User image

Expert
Wilmington, NC
Have you considered submitting this as an article for Ron to post more permanently. Otherwise, we're going to lose this valuable info?
2005-08-31 9:41 PM
in reply to: #238580

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
I think someone suggested it a while back but I haven't had time to clean it up and make it an actual article...although I guess it's fine as is.  Once my race season is over I'll probably take care of it and also write a follow-on or two after I get through the 3 new diet/nutrition books I just ordered.
2005-09-30 10:08 AM

Veteran
The Emerald City
This is good info.  Bump back to 1st page.
2005-11-14 3:03 PM

User image

Master
Colorado
Keeping it bumped. This is good stuff.

2005-11-30 12:22 AM

User image

Expert
Kaneohe, Hawaii

Wow! This is great info! I can't believe it hasn't been stickied yet. Therefore, I bump!

Your phylosophy is the same as mine. About 7-8 years ago I was just nuts about learning as much as I could about nutrition in regards to weight training and exercise. I did the CDK diet as well as various other Diets-O-the-Month and their variants. Ultimately I took an overview of everything I've read and learned from my self-experiementation and settled on precisely what you've prescribed.

While I'm not near as strict as I use to be (or should probably be) I do try to eat whole foods with a focus on good sources of protein, low glycemic carbs and good fats. And, like you, I don't limit myself in regard to what others would label as "cheating" and often indulge in treats while remembering to tailor the rest of my daily intake to reflect my transgressions. If I've learned anything about diet during my weight lifting days it is that if I was required to be too anal about my intake for an extended period of time I would invariably lose motivation to follow the plan. Any diet must be liveable and this one certainly is.

Further, diet plans that are overly restrictive, while effective in the short term, probably aren't optimal in the long term. As Joel described, he uses CKD in short periods to meet a specific goal. His training program is manipulated around the goal of the diet. Its a big picture folks. Thankfully Joel has waded through all the muck and chaos and provided an easy outline that is easy to follow.

The guidlines described in this thread are "doable" by anyone on a year-round basis and can easily be tailored to fit training periodization and the requirements it may demand. Great Job!

Ugh! I really need to pay more attention to my diet.

2005-11-30 8:39 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
It was a stickey at one point but has since dropped off.  I refer folks to it fairly regularly and I decided to stick a link in my signature for easy access.  I currently have 2 books I'm working on for the winter...the Paleo Diet for Endurance Athletes, and Nutrient Timing.  Once I finish those and have some time to think everything over I'll take the basic advice in this thread, combine it with the new information and write it all up as an article for BT.  Probably be a couple months at least before I get to it though...I'm currently working on 5 different nutrition/training books and they go slow when I only read a chapter a week total.
2005-12-21 10:53 PM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA
Bumping for new folks.

I'm getting into a few new books which are allowing me to refine and add to what i have posted on the subject so far.  I hope to compile everything over the winter and post it as an article.
2005-12-22 7:25 AM

User image

Master
Granvile, Ohio

Great info on this thread.  Thanks for taking the time!  It's really difficult for me to get past the "fat is bad" mentality.  I've slowly increased my fat intake to 15-20% of macronutrients, but still maintain a high bf%.  Started out at only 5-10% of calories from fat. Sounds like I still need to go with a higher percent of good fats.  I currently eat ~ Carbs 50-55 Protein 25-30 Fat 15-20.  I'll try 50-25-25 for the next couple of weeks and see if that makes a difference.  

I’ve lost ~ 60 pounds over the past couple of years, but have shifted my focus to body composition changes.  I only need to lose 8 pounds to reach my goal, but in reality that equates to losing 16 lbs of fat and gaining 8 lbs of muscle.  Any thoughts in fine tuning would be GREATLY appreciated.

I've logged my food for so long that it's just a habit with me now - it's really helpful to look through the last year and be able to see what has and hasn't worked so well.  I whine a lot about not being able to lose the fat and keep the muscle mass, but the bottom line is that I'm not as disciplined as I should be. 

A couple of plugs:  I bought the Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle ebook by Tom Venuto.  Really great info that covers everything from the mental aspect to eating properly, cardio, and weight training.  Good stuff!  I use Diet Power to log my food intake and workouts.  At the end of the day, I print out a nutrient summary and enter the info as a custom food in BT - That allows me to also have a daily overall view on this site and play with the graphs!

Thanks everyone for sharing your input, especially you Joel for writing such a great article.

Tammy
2005-12-22 8:29 AM

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

Fat is definitely NOT bad.  In fact, eating the right fats will help you lose body fat.  I haven't been logging my dialy diet for a few weeks (going easy on myself through the holidays) but I'd guess that I currently eat 30-40% fat, 30% prot, and 30-40% carbs.  Most of my fat comes from olive oil, flax oil, fish oil, almonds, walnuts, and peanut butter.  If you aren't currently using flax and fish oil supplements I suggest you look into it.  I just picked up 600 fish oil caps at Sam's Club for $18...that will last me almost 2 months at 12 caps/day.  I've cut back significantly on carbs (cereals, grains, and pasta) since my hard training ended back in early November.  This time of year most of my carbs come from fruits and veggies.  I've been reading a book called the Paleo Diet for Athletes and it's starting to adjust my view on the high carb diet for athletes...but it doesn't advocate a low carb diet.  Carbs are definitely necessary for proper fueling and recovery so what they are basically suggesting is that your intake of sugars (aside from fruits), breads, pasta, and grains be centered around your training sessions beginning an hour before and continuing through a recovery period lasting about 3 hours after.  Outside of this window you want to focus mostly on lean protein, healthy fats, and fruits/veggies.  It's a bit more complex than this but I'll be writing up a more detailed review of the Paleo Diet when I finish the book.  Another book I have but haven't started to read yet deals with timing of  specific nutrient intake to optimize your diet.  I allume it follows some of the concepts of the Paleo Diet in that there are times when you body needs carbs more than others and eating specific things at specific points in your day an have a big impact even if you don't change the total daily breakdown of macronutrients...just shifting where things are concentrated with respect to your training and recovery.  The biggest change I've made for the "off-season" is dropping the rice/pasta from my dinner.  My typical dinner plate this time of year is 1/3 meat and 2/3 veggies.  I like fresh steamed veggies but now that I eat such a big pile every night I've found that Sam's Club has a big bag of fresh frozen Asian mix that is very good.  You can microwave them but I prefer to sautee them up in a big pan with a little olive oil and some garlic powder.  I also typically have a huge spinach salad with dinner.  I use a 2Qt mixing bowl   Baby spinach, red onion, lots of mushrooms, tomato, green olives, a little feta, EVOO, and balsamic vinegar. 

Okay, more to come as I keep educating myself

2005-12-22 9:39 AM
in reply to: #310417

User image

Elite
San Diego

Joel, I can't believe it only took me 5 months to find this thread. Great thread, BTW. I think I am going to look into the CKD diet as I would like to drop a few quick lbs before I start IM training next month.

Thanks again

Tom

2005-12-22 9:58 AM
in reply to: #310463

User image

Pro
Virginia Beach, VA

I'd be happy to help you get set up with a CKD plan if you are interested.  It's certainly not for everyone and isn't well suited to endurance training in general, but as a means to reduce body fat fairly quickly in the off season when training volume is lower it is worth at least considering.  To be effective you really need to follow a very specific daily plan.  Have you every tried Atkins or South Beach?  Some folks don't deal well with low/no carb diets so CKD wouldn't be for them...even short-term.

madcow - 2005-12-22 10:39 AM

Joel, I can't believe it only took me 5 months to find this thread. Great thread, BTW. I think I am going to look into the CKD diet as I would like to drop a few quick lbs before I start IM training next month.

Thanks again

Tom

2005-12-22 11:04 AM
in reply to: #310497

User image

Elite
San Diego

I would love some help with ths diet plan. I have tried a modified Atkins plan a few years ago. I stopped because I couldn't get past the idea that the burger patty, bacon, cheese and mayo were "good" and the bun, tomato and lettuce were "bad"

The biggest problem I have is I have no imagination when it comes to menus. Also I don't do well with Gram portions. If you tell me to eat 50g of protein, I will eventually get tired of trying to find food with exactly 50 g of protein. If you tell me to eat a half of chicken breast and steamed artichokes I would/could eat that every day until the plan ends.

I am definitely ready to shed some of these post IM super long offseason pounds

Thanks again

Tom

2006-01-19 11:08 AM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
Dieting or healhty eating habits are strange notions for me. I don't think I ever had any healthy eating lifestyle -- and I know I need to start sometime soon. I eat as much as I can get a hand of any delicious food -- blessed with high metabolism but slowly down due to age.

I think the reason I cannot force myself to eat healhty is that I HATE cereals, breads, cheeses, and cereals......yuck! I usually eat high carb, high protein food. Lately I found that I am lack of energy -- perhaps getting older or most likely not eating correctly. I found this article to be helpful but is there an idiot proof guideline for a person that have trouble converting or too lazy to find meals in gram portions?

My goals -- to loose 3 pound by race season. Right now I am 148 pounds give or take 2 pounds. Ideal race weight for me is 145. I am 5'7". I do think I have a high BF -- 15.4% (taken April 2005) -- this sucks! How can I trim it to 10%? Any advise or help plan will be appreciated...... I usually try to train 4X a week or more -- read my training log. I do enjoy my post workout protein whey shake. For a long ride/workouts, I like my Hammer HEED and Recoverites. Any supplements that I should particularly investigate?

I do think my race results and workouts will benefit from a healhty eating lifestyle.

Help??

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » My "diet" philosophy Rss Feed  

of 4