Tuxedo Brothers
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 24m 32s
Overall Rank = 90/443
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 13/44
Pre-race routine:

I got out of routine today because I didn't have my normal breakfast food. we left it at home so I had something different but it didn't bother anything. I had yogurt with 2 planters peanut energy bars.
Event warmup:

I was short on time because the line to the port-a-john was ridiculously long. They had a warm up area for the swim that made things nice. I didn't get to warm up as much as I would have liked but I was able to get about 200yds. in for the warm up. I also did some limited amounts of stretching while standing in line.
Swim
  • 27m 35s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

I went out too fast at the start and had to slow down after the first 200 meters or so. I was able to maintain a decent rhythm throughout and was able to use bilateral breathing as needed in crowds or when swimming next to someone else. I had no problems with any other swimmers kicking or slapping me at all and I only slapped a couple myself. This course was more opened than the last one since it was a TT start.
Although I beat my PR for a pace without a wetsuit I was kicking myself for not taking my wetsuit to the T area from my truck and by the time I knew the water temp. I could not have retrieved my suit and mad e the mile walk to the start.
The course was REALLY spectator friendly!!! My family was able to walk along side me and watch me the entire swim. My daughter (Laiken) was able to provide me with some really good coaching from the side by giving stroke signals. She could tell when my stroke was getting short and would give the the "long" signal and it helped tremendously. I was very pleased that they enjoyed the swim course too.
What would you do differently?:

I will definitely take my wetsuit with me to the T area from now on! This caused me to lose as many as 15 places (at least) overall. I was incredibly disappointed I didn't have it!!!
Transition 1
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

I chose to put my race belt on in T1 for this race to help me with T2 time. I was standing up, bent at the waist putting my shoes on and started to get light headed so I ended up squatting to keep from falling over. No other issues.

Probably nothing. I think it went pretty decent. I want to eventually get to the point I can put my shoes on while riding.
Bike
  • 1h 08m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.93 mile/hr
Comments:

I went out very hard from the start of this section. I was in need of some wind after the first couple of miles but I was able to get everything under control and muscle through. I didn't start my watch right at the start because I was going to focus on the race not on the watch, like I didn't do last time.
There was a crash while I was nearing the end of my first loop. I heard the ambulance that ended up taking the rider to the hospital. I hope he ended up okay. There several times that I was in a 3-4 wide group doing some passing that I didn't like but for the most part I felt like everyone rode safely.
My ride seemed to be long while I was out there but as I checked my watch I knew I was doing well but until the final results came in I had no idea I was going this hard.

Absolutely nothing! I think this was about as gooa ride as I could have expected. I think a smoother course may have benefited me more but it would have helped everyone else too. I am very happy.
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Pretty good. This was consistent with my first triathlon time.

Nothing I can think of.
Run
  • 46m 38s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I was determined to get this thing going sooner than the last race. I would not allow myself to give in to my desire to slow down and take a break. I was going as hard as I could make myself go for the whole race. I was also able to muster up a little bit more energy at the end of the race to kick harder for the last .25 miles.
I took 1 gel during the run at the end of the first loop and kept the Gatorade coming. I think I was getting dehydrated from not having enough fluid on the bike so I decided to take additional Gatorade on the second loop by walking at the aid stations to get some long gulps of fluids. This also seemed to help me get a bit of a breather to get a good kick going for a while.
My right quad was starting to seize up during the second lop but I was able to hold it off by adding the fluids. After the race was over I had to ice my quad to get it to calm down some.

Maybe try to push a tad harder through the entire run. Overall I am satisfied with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked and talked to the family and enjoyed their company. I also took a dip in the canal to help cool down some, I did some other stretching and laid with my feet up on the side of the wall to get some fluid draining out of my legs too.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not sure anything did really.

Event comments:

I would like to have seen the bike course take some better roads.
More what I would like to have seen was the race results being posted sooner. If a small time race like the KPC in Kendallvile could have all the results posted on a computer as soon as each leg of a race was done surely a big organizer like tuxedo brothers could make some postings sooner than several hours later. I left the race site more than an hour after I finished the race and there were VERY limited results posted.

Last updated: 2010-07-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:35 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/44
Overall: 111/443
Performance: Good
Suit: None
Course: This was a point to point swim down the Indy canal. There were only a couple of turns and a fountain near the 1000 meter mark that was right in the middle of the course but it was easy to get around. the canal varied in width from about 30 feet to 50 feet in a couple of spots. The depth was 4 feet with a moss/algae covered bottom but I only hit the bottm at the start and the swim finish.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:25
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:08:00 | 24.85 miles | 21.93 mile/hr
Overall: 154/443
Wind: Little
Course: The course was extremely rough!!!! I made a comment to one rider that I didn't realize I needed to wear a cup for this race. The roads are in need of some fixing in a bad way! There a few places on the roads that were smooth but they were few and far between. Overall I would rate the roads on a scale to 10 as a 3 at best.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 92
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:38 | 06.21 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Overall: 95/443
Course: Pretty flat and fast. Almost all concrete and only a few small hills. The second loop could have been marked a little sooner but it cost me little time (a couple seconds at the most).
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-01 9:02 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: Tri Indy

2010-08-02 7:47 AM
in reply to: #3017349

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: RE: Tri Indy

Nice job Dirk, you are really starting to kill these races!  The only way I would see times like those is if the course was all down hill!

2010-08-02 9:02 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska

Awesome job Dirk!!!! those bike and run times are amazing!!!! Glad you had your family there to support you!

2010-08-02 2:11 PM

User image

Great job.  Way to kill it.
2010-08-02 2:14 PM

User image

Master
Baltimore
nice race!  Sucks about the wetsuit...its so annoying when a mistake, and not training, costs you time.  Not too shabby regardless though!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Indy Rss Feed