Snow Valley Ski Resort
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 43m 56s
Overall Rank = 20/143
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/21
Pre-race routine:

Normal routine with some minor changes. Like usual, I had small breakfast three hours prior to race. However, this morning I limited myself to one cup of coffee and consumed about 30 ounces of water during the 3 hour window. Two Endurolytes about 10 minutes prior to race.

One major difference for this race was a loading dose of sodium phosphate starting four days prior to race.
Event warmup:

All competitors had to ride about 1.5 miles up a dirt road to the lake. More than sufficient warm up. Made sure to keep the bike in granny gear and pedal lightly up the hill.
Swim
  • 18m 19s
  • 1000 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

Another tough swim for me. This was probably the most physical swim I've experienced to date. I can't even begin to count the number of times I was kicked, hit, or had to swim over someone. I believe it was primarily due to the confines of the reservoir. I felt like I was stuck in the pack for the entire swim. Whenever I did find a clean line, I either swam up on someone's feet or another person would come into my line. It really messed with my ability to establish a smooth, efficient stroke. On the upside, I had good visibility sighting and felt well cordinated into my stroke cycle.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe try to go out stronger to get ahead of the mass, but I was really worried about going out to hard and "blowing up" due to the elevation. I still had bad memories lurking in my mind from the Tahoe swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

This was my first race that I've ever done that has seperate transitions. T1 was a remote transition next to the lake. So, in addition to making the change to the bike, we had to bag all of our swimming gear to be transported to the finish line. No real issues. Suit unzipped and one sleeve removed. Cap, goggles off and contained with the removal of the other sleeve. Short run in the dirt to transition. Lower half of suit off. Helmet, socks, shoes, and camelback donned. Running mount out of transition. Passed a couple guys right out of the chute who were "dicking" with their pedals at the mount line.

I need to work on donning my helmet while stepping out of my wetsuit.
Bike
  • 48m 25s
  • 7.62 miles
  • 9.44 mile/hr
Comments:

Despite the elevation, I felt good on the bike. One exception was coming out of T1 when I went to get out of the saddle and my legs felt a little rubbery. Everything was going well until a guy in front of me decided to get on his brakes during one of the technical descents and wandered into my line. I tried to correct, but was unable to change lines in the sand. I went down at about 15 MPH. Fortunately, I was able to ride it out on my side and hop back on the bike (rewarded with some nice road rash on my hip, thigh, and calf). However, I had to finish the last part of the descent with bent bars which made some of the cornering a little tricky.

I was holding back just a tad because I knew the hardest part of this course was yet to come. I felt really good on the technical descents and very aerobic on the long climbs.

I rode well. I was just under 6 minutes off the fastest bike split.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I had to laugh. So, I go to put my trail shoes on and realize that I was missing my insoles. Oops, I left them in my street shoes. Nothing I could do now, so on went the shoes without insoles. It was kind of like running in racing flats, but on rough, nasty, dirt terrain. Visor on, two Endurolytes, and donned race belt while on the run.

Not forget my insoles.
Run
  • 37m 12s
  • 3.63 miles
  • 10m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

While the total course only had about 800 feet of elevation gain, the climbs and descents were brutually steep. I had to break a couple of the climbs into walk-run segments to keep up my momentum. Then, just when I thought I could get back into stride, I was faced with a steep, rocky, and loose descent that required me to side step down. There were very few spots where I could actually open up and run. Just to get an idea of the course difficulty, the fastest run time was 33:33. I feel pretty good that I wasn't too far off of this pace.

I really need more hill work. I would like to be able to attack some off these huge grades without falling back on a walk-run technique.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing special. Just walked at a light pace for about 10 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim. I just really need to focus on improving my swim. It might be time to head back to the swim coach.

Event comments:

Very well organized race. Course was well marked. Plenty of volunteers. Very friendly. Lots of swag included with entry.

Last updated: 2010-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:19 | 1000 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/21
Overall: 0/143
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU V1
Course: 1.5 laps clockwise around three bouys. Lake was a narrow, private reservoir at an elevation of 7,400 feet. Water was a murky, green with about 2 feet of visibilty. I chose to wear tinted goggles due to clear skies and bright sunshine.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:48:25 | 07.62 miles | 9.44 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Time includes both T1 and T2 times. I'm prety sure I averaged just over 10 mph.
Wind: None
Course: 1.5 laps on dirt fire road, double track, and one small, single track descent. Terrain was a primarily loose dirt with sand and rocks. It was very unfortunate that the course was only 7.62 miles. The course was mainly climbing (approximately 1,250 feet between 6,400 and 7,500 ft elevation) with a couple quick, steep descents.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:37:12 | 03.63 miles | 10m 15s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Course was designed in a cloverleaf fashion which ran up and down the ski slope four times. There was no defined trail here either. This was basically 80 percent scramble through shrub, sand, and deep rain ruts that required hurdling. Course was marked with little, orange flags and volunteers at strategic turning points. This was a true XTERRA run course!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %UTE
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-02 11:20 PM

User image

Master
Brentwood, CA
Subject: XTERRA Snow Valley

2010-08-03 9:12 AM
in reply to: #3020043

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2010-08-03 10:23 AM

Expert
Subject: RE: XTERRA Snow Valley
Sounds like a fun race, tough run!  Super short bike though, seems like compared to the swim/run distances there should have been 2 loops on the bike.
2010-08-04 12:43 PM

Elite
Slackerville, USA
Congrats on the race. Too bad that guy got in your way and you ended up with the road rash. Hope it heals fast.
2010-08-05 8:58 AM

Elite
Romeoville, Il
Very nice Tim!! Your putting together a nice year in this series!!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Snow Valley Rss Feed