The Philadelphia Sertoma Club
85F / 29C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 53m 23s
Overall Rank = 33/83
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 5/14
Pre-race routine:

(Overall rank is women only.) The last 2 times I did this race, we stayed near the finish in Philadelphia. This year, we were able to stay at the start at Lake Tiak-O'Khata, which was better. Show up for the pre-race briefing the night before, walk to the room, roll out of bed in the morning, and set up transition. Definitely staying there next year (if I can get a room...fills up fast).
Event warmup:

Nada. That was bad. Could have gotten in the lake, but didn't. Just made sure everything was ready to go.
Swim
  • 16m 44s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 54s / 100 yards
Comments:

At the word, "go," I took 2 or 3 steps and then dove right in. I had a surprisingly good swim. With my performance of late, I had simply been hoping for under 20 minutes. But my new revelations seem to have led to better swimming and overall better times. I sighted a lot because the water was so murky it was near impossible to see anything...even feet from the people in front of me. Swam until my hand sank into the muck and then trotted out.
What would you do differently?:

Warm up so I can get a better start.
Transition 1
  • 02m 4s
Comments:

You would think I had a wetsuit on...I always suck at HoD transitions. It's a point-to-point race and they use the racks that you stick your wheel in, which I struggle with for some reason. Also, my new bike shoes are a little more difficult to slip into (no, not tri shoes), but I like them, so I will have to deal with it. Then, we had to lift our bikes up over the curb and run up the grass to get on the road. That was a new twist.

Practice more and get faster.
Bike
  • 1h 23m 36s
  • 27.5 miles
  • 19.74 mile/hr
Comments:

I love this ride. Every time I've done it, it's been a fast one for me...even when I fell apart 2 years ago. But, the bottom line is I need to break into the 20 mph range to move up the ranks. This year, I used my race wheels (I am skeered of them)...Spynergy on the front and Zipp disc on the back. What a difference they make in how the bike rides. Smooooth. The noise from the disc kept me thinking someone was right behind me. Oh yeah...and I dropped my water bottle not even 2 minutes into the ride. Doh. I still had Gatorade, but probably didn't get quite enough fluid. I felt very in control the whole ride...pushing it, but not to the edge. However, when I got off, I could hardly walk, much less run to transition. Apparently, I pushed a little harder than I thought.

Not drop my water bottle, but other than that, nothing.
Transition 2
  • 02m 54s
Comments:

Like I said...suck, suck at HoD transitions. I cannot figure out the darn racks. But first, I have to reach in and pull out my bag with my running shoes, then try to rack the bike. Front wheel? No. Back Wheel. Aargh. Hubby finally comes over and just takes it from me (because it's point-to-point, a lot of people are in transition picking up bikes for athletes before heading to the finish line). Cute little side note: as Hubby put my bike aside so he could grab my shoes and helmet, a couple of the volunteers were oohing and aahing over my custom paint job.The bike looks sharp, especially with race wheels. They asked him if I was a "sponsored" athlete. Ha!

Just get it right.
Run
  • 1h 08m 7s
  • 7 miles
  • 09m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

If I hadn't let myself fall apart on the run, I would have placed. The next person in front of me was a mere 30 seconds faster (first in our AG moved up to overall). I started out just fine and had a nice pace. Comfortable. But the hills destroyed my already tired legs and I ended up walking a lot more than I should have.

HTFU and keep running.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking around and getting as much fluid in me as possible. I was thirsty!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Cumulative affects of IM training (I had a very hard weekend 1 week before the race). Heat. And my own attitude...need to just run.

Last updated: 2010-04-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:44 | 880 yards | 01m 54s / 100yards
Age Group: 6/14
Overall: 0/83
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri suit
Course: Arc that started on one side of the lake and swooped around to the pavillion and boat ramp.
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:04
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:23:36 | 27.5 miles | 19.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/14
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Straight shot from Lake Tiak-O'Khata to Philadelphia, MS, in Neshoba County. Fun, fun, fun ride with rolling hills. Traffic can be a bit of a challenge...but if you get a low swim start and out on the road early, you avoid most of it.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:54
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:08:07 | 07 miles | 09m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/14
Performance: Below average
Course: Seven miles to the Neshoba County Fair (altho, most people believe it's not quite that far). I think they added a few extra hills this year. And it was hot.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes