The Ohio River Road Runners Club
HOTF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 22s
Overall Rank = 19/153
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/8
Pre-race routine:

I made sure to drink a lot of water over the course of the day. Which meant I had to pee every 20 minutes or so at work. I left and picked up my friend Mei who is visiting from Malaysia. She lived in Dayton for over 8 years and I never convinced her to race with me but somehow I had talked her into this one. What a race to start with... it was a very hot day!
Event warmup:

We sat in the shade waiting for the race to start. Chatted a bit with some folks from the running club. I was planning on running two laps (a 10K) but then I saw the trophies. They had a picture of a possum in running shoes on them. I knew I had to have one so I decided I was going to race it!
Run
  • 23m 22s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I started several rows back because I find it more fun to pick people off than to start up with the big boys and then have people pick me off. I was chatting with a faster friend (Andy) at the start and decided to try and keep him in eye sight for the first mile or so.

The first mile went pretty smooth. I had a fun moment when I destroyed a hill and a guy I passed on the way up who was struggling said, "Man you made that look easy". If the race is only 5K and there's a hill, nobody is beating me up it. Of course, everyone beats me gong down on the other side because I haven't quite figured that part out yet! I blame my buddy who got me into running back in 2000. We'd always attack the hills.

I lost sight of Andy shortly thereafter but that was fine. I was passing folks and feeling good. Just shy of 3 miles I realized the course was going to be long. I saw three people up ahead and decided to catch em. I passed two and the next person looked like he might have been in my age group so in the last 20 feet I sprinted as fast as I could and I thought I got him at the line (turned out he got me by 3 tenths of a second... but I think I would have got him if the chip had been on my other foot ;) ) but it didn't matter since he wasn't in my age group. I look like a tool in the photo at the finish, but hey, it was a race and a Possum plaque was on the line!

What would you do differently?:

First place in my age group was about 20 seconds ahead and I think I could have easily found 20 seconds in there. But instead of racing at a 10 I was more at an 8.5. I have bigger fish to fry this year than a 5K
Post race
Warm down:

Sat around and waited for Mei to finish. Walked a bit back through the course and met up with her and encouraged her to a PR and a 3rd place AG finish!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing really. Felt good today.

Event comments:

Another awesome $3 race put on by the ORRRC!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:22 | 03.11 miles | 07m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/8
Overall: 19/153
Performance: Good
Course: The course was long. About 3.25 according to the course marker and 3.28 according to my Garmin.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes