Boca Raton Bicycle Club
90F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 45s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up early, had most everything prepared the night before - except for my water bottles. I couldn't find them anywhere!!! But I didn't freak b/c I knew there would be water at the event. Ate half a pb&j that Amy had fixed for us. Picked her up and drove 45 minutes to Boca. Did a few stretches, registered (I usually pre-register, but we had only decided the night before to participate), and took off on the staggered start.
Event warmup:

Stretched a little bit.
Bike
  • 1h 45m 47s
  • 18 miles
  • 10.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Considering I haven't been riding, much less training for this event, I think I did very well. Started out strong, and had decided not to push myself b/c I hadn't trained, and also b/c of my left leg being pretty bruised up. Decided I would do 5 miles, and then turn back, for a total of 10 miles. Before I knew it, I had done 5 miles! I was amazed at how strong my legs have become. Woo-hoo! However, the hydration became an issue. It was very hot and humid, and I was out of water fast. Came across a county water fountain by the beach and filled up. I poured some water on myself too, and that really helped. Wanted to at least reach the first rest stop but I hadn't checked a map prior to the race - mostly b/c I relied on Amy for that. I've got to stop doing that. When I'm on my own I don't do this. Its a bad habit. Anyway... I didn't know where the first rest stop was. I asked a couple of cyclists turning back and they all said just a little farther down. B.S. - it was at mile 15! There was no way I could do that. So I turned around. At mile 10, I had to stop and rest. My upper body was really fatigued. I found a shady spot and stretched really well, and sat down for about 10 minutes. A few cyclists and walkers passing by checked to see I was ok. That was nice! I enjoyed the beautiful scenery too. I was right by the intracoastal waterway. Very nice. I got up, and continued riding. As I was counting down the miles, I was feeling better and prouder for having done this ride, and for having done 6 miles more than I initially wanted to do. When I reached the drawbridge toward the end of the ride, the bridge went up. I was thankful for another mini-rest stop. While waiting for the bridge, I met up w/ a couple from Miami, who are EBC members (bike club). They invited me to join them on the rides - which are for the slower newbies. I was happy for that. When the bridge finally closed, I took off the climb it, but just couldn't. I had no momentum, and my HR shot up fast! Decided to walk the bridge. I finally made it across the finish a few minutes later. Amy met me there, and was proud w/ what I rode. So was I!
What would you do differently?:

Train, secure my water bottles, and lose more weight.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank lots of water. Should've stretched, but I felt pretty good.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't train for this event, didn't drink enough water for how hot it was. I was ten pounds lighter, but more weight would've been better.

Event comments:

The meal provided was so awful, I didn't even try it. Amy and I joined her cycling buddies for lunch at a local mexican restaurant. I had a chicken burrito. I couldn't finish the meal b/c it was a lot of food, and I was full from all the water I drank post-ride. Overall, I am so proud and happy I participated. I did better than I could ever have imagined.

Last updated: 2005-07-17 12:00 AM
Biking
01:45:47 | 18 miles | 10.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
HR was in the 149 - cardio zone the whole way. When I hit a bridge it shot up, but not past 157.
Wind: Headwind
Course: All flat, scenic A1A with a few mansions and estates along the way. Was a nice ride - except it was hot!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %1%
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2005-07-17 6:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Miami, FL
Subject: Frank Starke Celebration Ride

2005-07-18 8:32 PM
in reply to: #200434

User image

Master
South Florida
Subject: RE: Frank Starke Celebration Ride
Good for you for hanging in there and doing the ride!  It sounds like it was a good motivator to get in the saddle and start hammering some miles...if you did that without "training", just imagine what some training and a few less lbs will be like.  You are a hoss chick!!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Frank Starke Celebration Ride Rss Feed