Canada
Multisport
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 16m 34s
Overall Rank = 44/309
Age Group = M25-29
Age Group Rank = 4/20
Pre-race routine:

Went to the doctor on Friday, who told me not to race, because of my tendency to get light headed after OWSs. Very emotional day, but decided to race anyways. Add to that, had a visitation for my roommate's grandfather on Friday evening. Saturday morning was the same as Joe's Team. Woke up early, had a bagel and oatmeal, some water. Got to the race early, racked my bike, set up my TA and checked in. Visited with the parents and Katie.
Event warmup:

Light stretching, quick 0.75-1km run. Nothing overly strenuous. Just before the race began, I went for a couple slow swims.
Swim
  • 14m 17s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

I took the swim a little easier than normal, because of the Dr.'s advice, but not overly easy. I was pretty tired at the end of it. I also got boxed in and kicked a bunch of times.
What would you do differently?:

Push a LITTLE more, but also position myself better off the start. Don't get boxed in. Get more aggressive and don't stop swimming just because you grab someone's ankle
Transition 1
  • 01m 9s
Comments:

Long run from the swim exit, but it felt fine. Everything seemed to move fairly quickly. I didn't have any problems. Socks didn't go on as smoothly as they did last time, but still no problems at all.

be more aggressive with my running out of T1. Also, remember to be on the left side of the bike coming off the rack.
Bike
  • 34m 39s
  • 20 kms
  • 34.63 km/hr
Comments:

Pushed too hard out of the gate. It was flat, and I didn't feel too bad. But the first hill was BRUTAL. I dropped to 18km/h, and couldn't change gears. I was on the smallest gear on the big ring, and it was too much gear. I didn't want to drop down to the small ring on the up hill. Learn the course! Also, I got a flat at the 13k mark. I wasn't sure, but I biked the last 7k with a flat.

Drive the course, don't underestimate the hills. Don't get boxed in in a LeapFrog. Gear properly up the hills. Push to get by the pack, then stay there. Don't get a flat.
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

I struggled to put the bike under the rack. Rack seemed lower than normal. Shoes went on fine, but I almost forgot to take my helmet off. Didn't put my visor and race bib on until running out on the course (put them on at my spot in previous race)

Make sure handles fit under the rack before the race.
Run
  • 25m 47s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 10s  min/km
Comments:

Run faster. I felt gassed out of the TA, but kept a pretty pace going. Slowed down later in the run, and really felt like I was pushing hard at the end. Really hard finish. The downhill into the finish was really hard. It is discouraging to keep getting passed after such a good rest of the race.

Run faster. Push harder and leave nothing in the tank. Don't trust the pace on your Nike+, but calibrate it!
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around to get the heart rate down. No stretching (mistake), but felt ok.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run. Bike felt great, swim was about on pace with last race (timing mat was way further away from the swim exit). My run keeps limiting me. I really need to work on it. There was a lot on my mind, too, so that probably kept me a bit more in check than I needed to be

Event comments:

This race weighed heavily on me. There was a lot going on in my head and life, so it was a tough race for me, mentally. Overall, I am happy with my performance, but I think I could have done better.

Also, I came in feeling underprepared, and no where near as on form as I was for my last race. I was happy with my results, all things considered. This race was a lot harder than my previous race, so to be within a minute of my last time (and a minute from podiuming), I can't really complain.

Last updated: 2010-05-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:17 | 750 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/20
Overall: 70/309
Performance: Below average
Suit: IP Elite Trisuit
Course: 750m loop. 200m against the current, 50 m cross current, 300m down current, 50 cross current, 150m against the current to the swim exit. Fairly long run to the TA.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:09
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:39 | 20 kms | 34.63 km/hr
Overall: 14/309
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: 20k out and back. Rolling hills, with a few BIG hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:25:47 | 05 kms | 05m 10s  min/km
Overall: 139/309
Performance: Average
Course: 5k out and back. Fairly big hill out of the TA, but other than that, flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-08 5:15 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal, QC
Subject: Bracebridge Triathlon

2010-08-09 7:32 AM
in reply to: #3030418

User image

Melon Presser
Subject: RE: Bracebridge Triathlon
Petered Piglet!

You did an AWESOME job considering the life stresses, less than optimal training, and some serious course difficulty!!!
2010-08-09 7:46 AM

User image

Pro
Sarasota FL
Awesome job!  Sounds like a highly emotional few days, but what a great result!  4th in your AG is sweeeeet!
2010-08-09 8:50 AM

User image

Champion
Chicago
Wow you are a Super Stud!  Great job!
2010-08-10 9:37 AM

User image

Expert
Austin, TX
Way to run a great race with everything going on in life right now.  Glad you had no issues with the light-headedness and hope you can get that figured out.  Awesome job on the bike! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bracebridge Triathlon Rss Feed