Canada
18C / 64F
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 07m 49s
Overall Rank = 20/59
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 5/7
Pre-race routine:

The usual stuff except that I rode my bike to the site. The transition zone was exactly 2km from my place. Priceless! :)
Event warmup:

I did a loop of the bike course just before it closed, then I messed around for a little while and went running. I tried including some hamstring stretches in my warm-up routine. It seemed to work well and things felt better afterwards. After St-Lambert bad nutrition experiment, I was back to the original pre-race nutrition plan. It worked perfectly. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Run
  • 21m 6s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 13s  min/km
Comments:

I started fairly fast and tried to stay with the two woman leaders early on. After a while I realized that they were too fast and I let them go a bit. I felt pretty strong overall so I said see you on the bike. When we hit the turnaround, I was already in my zone and things were doing fine. I usually have a hard time getting that kind of focus early in the race so I'm satisfied about that. The way back to transition was fairly uneventful. A small pack joined me and I stayed with them.
What would you do differently?:

Push a little more.
Transition 1
  • 01m
Comments:

Excellent transition, very efficient despite the fact that I went to the wrong rack but with little consequence in terms of time, 5 seconds max. Apparently everybody did the same. I got out of transition ahead of everybody that was in the little pack with me.

Go straight to my bike.
Bike
  • 33m 30s
  • 19 kms
  • 34.03 km/hr
Comments:

Ok, that was a fun part. We were doing 4x 5k loops on a boulevard with 2 tight U turns each loop. For the first 3/4 of the first loop, I really felt alone. There was nobody in front and, as far as I could tell, no one close behind. I had a surprise went I hit the 2nd turnaround of the first loop, they were 4 or 5 right behind me. I told myself that I had to push and make some time on them because I'm not a real strong runner. So I pushed without looking back. At the same 2nd turnaround I had a good view of them again. I had pushed, and not gained a single second on any of them. On the third loop we started to play pass-me/pass-you but I was still mostly in front pushing it hard, mostly because I was afraid to get caught drafting when I was behind. So we kept on playing and pushing on the fourth loop, the pack was still intact. For the last half loop I decided to take it a little bit easier to get my running legs back ASAP.

Not much.
Transition 2
  • 01m
Comments:

Again, pretty good transition. I could be a little faster at tightening the Yankz though.

Not much.
Run
  • 10m 30s
  • 2.5 kms
  • 04m 12s  min/km
Comments:

Again, my transition was fast enough so that I was in front of the fellows I was riding with. For the first 800m or so I was by myself, then 2 guy joined me and we stayed together. When we hit the turnaround I saw that two other guys were dawn close while a girl was slowly falling behind. My legs still felt surprisingly strong and I was happy with that but the breathing was all over the place.

About 400m after the turnaround, so 800m from the finish, one of the guys that was with me put it in full turbocharged mode. I wasn't surprised by someone surging but but the power in it was quite something so he opened a gap of ~15m. Soon after, the guy that was left with said something, I don't remember what, but I sensed some weakness in that comment and opened up the engine immediately to secure my place and try to get the guy in front. That surge worked to secure the place but as I accelerated, the guy in front did the same so I wasn't able to get to him. I finished happy anyways. A good race, good time, an epic battle and a lot of fun. What's not to like?

Make it hurt some more. That was a good effort but I think there was a bit left in the tank.
Post race
Warm down:

None. The guy that finished behind me (by 2 seconds) has a nice ritual though. A big can of cold Heineken a few minutes after finishing! :)

I met marcag from BT after the race... always nice to meet fellow BTers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training specificity mostly. Training long and racing short does not provide optimal results.

Last updated: 2010-07-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:06 | 05 kms | 04m 13s  min/km
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 24/59
Performance: Average
Course: Out & back on the bike path. Flat. It probably was a little bit short of 5k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:00
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:33:30 | 19 kms | 34.03 km/hr
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 14/59
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Loops on Lasalle boulevard with tight U turns at each end.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:00
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:10:30 | 02.5 kms | 04m 12s  min/km
Age Group: 4/7
Overall: 21/59
Performance: Good
Course: Same as first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-08-08 5:37 PM

User image

Veteran
Montréal
Subject: Triathlon de Verdun

2010-08-09 5:22 AM
in reply to: #3030453

User image

Extreme Veteran
Montreal
Subject: RE: Triathlon de Verdun
Fantastic job!! You are a machine - your first and second run are basically identical. HARD CORE!!!!
2010-08-09 5:58 AM
in reply to: #3031050

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Triathlon de Verdun
Good job Etienne

C'est vrai que de s'entrainer pour du long et faire un srpint c'est pas etre optimale mais tu en kicker des culs quand meme
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Triathlon de Verdun Rss Feed