General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sylvania, Ohio
United States
Elite Endeavors
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m
Overall Rank = 82/293
Age Group = Fella 35-39
Age Group Rank = 11/29
Pre-race routine:

cereal, pack car, drive 4 minutes to race site
Event warmup:

Not much since I rolled in with my lady about 15 minutes before transition closed. I had enough time to meditate in a Port a John then I was shooed out of transition to the beach (however my wave didnt go off for another 20 ish minutes. I filled that time oogling the collegiate coeds and peeing in the lake- not a bad way to start the day)
Swim
  • 27m 32s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 41s / 100 yards
Comments:

Good swim. I have been down on swim volume but still did well. I liked swimming without a wetsuit. There is a really large spread in the swim in this race because you eliminate the advantages of the wetsuit. Stronger swimmers gain more of a time benefit. This race uses colored swim caps for waves and I like that because I can tell when I am catching up to other waves or when the ladies start catching my skinny butt (there are some fast lady fishes - top women were posting 21-22 minute times sans wetsuit. No wonder they caught me - I only had a 4 minute headstart!)
What would you do differently?:

nothing it was a good swim
Transition 1
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

transition is fairly large. I had issues with sand on my feet from the beach run. They dont have water basins to dip feet in after the swim. I tried to get as much sand off as possible but it was still all over my feet.

bring a community wash basin for my bike rack row
Bike
  • 1h 13m 23s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.32 mile/hr
Comments:

I always get discouraged on the bike. It just isnt my bag. The headwind for the first half wasnt too nice. I was pulling 17-19 into the wind, 19-21 on the crosswind and 21-24 on the tailwind. I didnt do bad compared to my performance in previous races here, just against everyone else (who cares about them anyway)

Other than train more?
Transition 2
  • 01m 19s
Comments:

Had issues getting my bike on the rack for some reason
Run
  • 47m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal going in was to set a consistent pace. My last two races I had talked myself into walking drink stations. I told myself that wasnt going to happen this race. I felt good for the first three miles. I got some crampy twinges in my quads through mile five. Thought I might puke for no reason at mile 5 (didnt, just an overly aggressive burp). The best part of the day was about a quarter mile from the finish. I wasnt sprinting just keeping it even. Then a dude runs up next to me and says " keep it going, you can do it " and goes past me a little, I glance down and see "39" on his calf. AH HELL NO. I am not going to see a guy in my age group just stride infront of me. I pick up the pace and pull even. He then says " here we go " and takes off. I see blood and take off with him. We hit the long spectator shoot in asupreme sprint and the announcer and people start going nuts. I feel nothing and think nothing at this point. All I knew was that I was not going to lose by less than a second. I beat him out at the finish line (hopefully with a great finish photo - Come on Brightroom please tell me you got this one). We exchanged fist bumps and I had a painful smile on my face.

Get the sand off my feet and wear my new shoes (same model just newer pair) more than a week. Four Big Blisters Batman!
Post race
Warm down:

Laid on the ground the ate nice watermelon, grapes, oranges, licorice and beer. Whats that you say? Oh yes, beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I thought I had a good race

Event comments:

I PR'ed this course - dropping NINE minutes off my previous best at this course (a just 90 seconds off my best time ever at this distance). I had a good race at this venue

Pros - Beer truck ( I got "legged" at the truck - the guy they had pouring the beer asked to see my calf before serving me to check my age), very organized, catered Bravo lunch, awesome selection of fruit at the finsh line, lots of volunteers, flat course, great swimming lake, marked bike rack with assigned spaces, USAT officials patroling the course and nailing drafters

Although this race costs about 25$ more than most other Olympic distance races I think it is worth it (swag bag is a little light but that is just a small negative)

Last updated: 2010-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:27:32 | 1640 yards | 01m 41s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/29
Overall: 87/293
Performance: Good
Suit: too hot baby - skin only
Course: One loop of rectangle that covers the perimeter of the lake
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:44
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:13:23 | 24.85 miles | 20.32 mile/hr
Age Group: 19/29
Overall: 123/293
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Kinda a rectangle - had the first part straight into the wind (west) then crosswind parts (north/south) then back in with the wind (east)
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:19
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:04 | 06.21 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/29
Overall: 72/293
Performance: Good
Course: A kinda rectangle through the neighborhoods of sylvania. About half is shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-08 9:05 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-08-09 8:11 AM
in reply to: #3030833

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Oogling collegiate coeds, a beer truck at the finish and 9:00!?!?!? minutes off your previous course record. Sounds like a great day. Nice Job!
2010-08-09 10:51 AM

Master

Great race report and nice work kicking it out at the end!  Congrats!

2010-08-10 6:37 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI

Awesome race & super awesome finish!!  It was a fun race. 

2010-08-11 8:59 AM

User image

Expert
Columbus
nice race
all three legs were great
1:41, 20.32 and 7:35 are all sweet paces 

great finish! (who cares about those guys anyway?  indeed
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed