General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sylvania, Ohio
United States
Elite Endeavors
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 44s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/15
Pre-race routine:

I was bummed to realize on Friday evening that we hadn't planned for the dogs and thus Tom and Oren couldn't go down to Sylvania to spend the night with me on Saturday night. That totally took the wind out of my sails. I canceled my room and ended up bunking with Trish instead. Super fun dinner with Trish, her teammate Steve, and my fellow Greyhounds Kimm, KL, & Smoak. Listened to Trish do her OCD race prep all night... sooo entertaining. Painted my nails silver to match my race kit. ;) Sat in the jacuzzi- yum.
Event warmup:

Realized when we arrived that I'd forgotten my cold, full aerobottle in the hotel room fridge. Bummer. I considered driving back to the hotel to get it but knew I wouldn't be able to get a reasonable parking spot (and I'd gotten a good one!), so I just grabbed my extra cage bottle and stole some gatorade from Trish. Spent the rest of the time checking and double checking my set up and chatting with the ladies. Trish was busy breaking all the rules so that was great distraction. There was only one women's Oly wave so we all got to hang out waiting together, which was great fun.
Swim
  • 26m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was a good swim. I lost some time because I was trying to pee and no matter what I did I couldn't figure it out. I kept trying to swim without kicking so I could go and nada. So anyway, too much putzing. Finally caught up to Kimm and passed her before the turn. Right after the final corner I saw a guy from the wave behind us pass us. Yikes- that's never happened to me during a swim. I ususally swim up through the preceding wave, but I've never had people swim past me from the following wave. That was a bummer. Right as I was approaching the end of the swim I saw Steve, Trish's teammate, up and out on the beach. WTH!! He started behind us so I was pizzed. ;) There was a super long run through the deep beach sand to transition and this totally got my HR jacked up.
What would you do differently?:

Not messed around so much with peeing.
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

This was fine- again, long run back to transition, then transition itself was huge- we had to run with our bike through the entire Oly area then around the corner and through the sprint transition area then around another corner and down the driveway. I had a ton of sand on my feet but just stuck my feet in my bike shoes hoping it would dry and fall off as I biked.

For Rev3 I will go back to using a squirt bottle to get the gunk off my feet- I'm not running a half mary with dirty feet. that would be a recipe for disaster.
Bike
  • 1h 22m 51s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 18.00 mile/hr
Comments:

I did better than I expected. Went out into a lot of headwind so I just tried to pace myself well enough to run hard. After about 5 miles, Trish came flying by. We turned halfway in and got out of some of the wind. That's when Kimm passed me. That's also about the time I got sick of the paper tag on my bike which was blowing all over and scratching my inner thighs. I ripped it off and stuffed it in my jersey pocket and never saw it again. The whole way back to town/transition was with a tailwind which was so nice. It was quiet and I just spun away. My girly bits were getting a bit uncomfy as I spent the entire ride in aero. The windy ride was a great dress rehersal for Rev3. I was doing 15/16 mph into it and 18-21 on the way back in. Thank God it wasn't the other way around.

Tape the number down better.
Transition 2
  • 02m 27s
Comments:

Again, a long one due to transition set up. Sooooo long to be running in my bike shoes! Then I'd really wanted to use the porta johns and I forgot. Oooops. Also the sand had *not* fallen off in my shoes so I attempted to rub it off with a corner of my transition towel so this ate up time. I could totally have gotten out of t2 way faster. this was the first time I've raced without socks on the bike so my t2 was much slower than usual.

Had a squirt bottle for the sand and go back to the baby powder in the socks routine.
Run
  • 53m 47s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a hot but strong run for me. I didn't wear my Garmin so I'm not positive, but I probably slowed down a bit towards mile 4 ish. It was getting hot and I was really pushing it. this is only a minute or two off my stand alone 10k time. I only got passed by one female total and passed several men and a couple of women. The run was boring but tolerable with a couple of neighborhoods full of supportive folk with sprinklers, hoses, and homemade water stops. Really nice community support! At 100 yards from the finish line, Tom tossed me my 22+ lb. toddler. I was like, "Seriously?". He went, "Yeah!" so I tried to run it in with Oren. Ugh- he's heavy and I was totally pooped. It was like running into a brick wall. I got heavy applause and remarks from the announcer, but frankly trying to run it in with Oren was kind of anticlimatic! I had to stop and then try again and then walk a bit and then run a little towards the end, thought I was going to bobble his head off!!

Not run that far with my kiddo!! It turns out that in a race where they awarded trophies 5 deep in AG, I was only 10 seconds out of 6th and a minute out of 5th. :( Oh well, hopefully they got a really cute photo of us together. :) :) A trophy isn't such a big deal with such a cutie in my arms.
Post race
Warm down:

Hand kiddo back to his Daddy and find beer. ;) Waited for Kimm, KL, and Smoak to finish. Sat in shade and eat watermelon with my son.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That was pretty much it for me- I was racing but at the same time knew this was a dress rehersal for Cedar Point so didn't want to go crazy or get injured. Raced within myself but definitely pushed.

Event comments:

Great race, good peeps.

Last updated: 2010-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:46 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/15
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: no wetsuits
Course: Out and back
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:22:51 | 24.85 miles | 18.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 5/15
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:27
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:53:47 | 06.21 miles | 08m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/15
Course: Through neighborhoods, etc.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-09 8:52 PM

User image

Expert
Farmington, MI
Subject: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2010-08-09 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3033380

Master
Subject: RE: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance

Damn!  You are one fast swimmer.  Great race....you will RAWK out the Rev3 race in September.

2010-08-10 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3033586

User image

Master
Ann Arbor, Michigan
^^^
what she said!

And oren is more important than a stupid trophy you'll throw away some day in 20 years, trust me.

What a great report, esp the peeing part, <snerk>

and i agree about the hosing the feet off.  i'm so over running/biking with dirty feet!!!
2010-08-10 1:04 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Boston

Great job, you looked great out there. Gonna have a great race at Cedar Point !!

2010-08-10 5:01 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
I suggested to the race director two years running have some tubs of water by the transition entrance from the beach. She said they werent needed

I am with you for the squirt bottle approach for Rev3
2010-08-11 8:05 AM

User image

Expert
Awesome job roomie! 

Man, you are sooo speedy in the drink!    And you had a great bike and run too!  Rev3 is gonna be a great day girl, a great day! 

I hope you know that all the discipline you've put into the bike is paying off...feel free to share some of that with me for my running k?

Thanks for including my crazy in your race report...in case peeps didn't already know I'm a dingbat, now it's in black and white!  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed