TG Multisport Club
15C / 59F
Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 23m 10s
Overall Rank = 49/169
Age Group = M50-54
Age Group Rank = 2/7
Pre-race routine:

The now normal routine of waking up late, jumping in/out of the shower, scrambling to pick up my gear without forgetting anything (very difficult to do), loading up the bike and screaming out of town hoping not to get another ticket.
Event warmup:

Kinda, sorta, maybe stretched my arms about a bit on the pool deck.
Swim
  • 22m 44s
  • 750 meters
  • 03m 02s / 100 meters
Comments:

A good swim for me. I know, I know, 139th out of 169 swimmers a good swim??? For me it is. to put it into context, I was 107th out of 108 swimmers in the Point Grey Tri a couple of weeks prior! AND, my time in that race was 23:20 for a measly 700 meters!
This was the first race where I was the one being slowed down by those in front of me instead of slowing down everyone else behind me.
Doing my first open water tri at Cultus Lake soon so this race was encouraging. "I think I can, I think I can..."
What would you do differently?:

I think, if I was going to do anything differently, I would swim at a 1:30 minute per 100 meter pace. Yeah, that would be the ticket, maybe I"ll try that next time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Didn't do any transition practice prior to this race and it showed. Could have easily shaved 10-15 seconds from my T1 time. Started a bad habit a while ago of taking a couple drinks from my water bottle during my transition. This is stupid because it would be much more efficient to do that while moving on the bike. Everything else seemed to go pretty much as planned.

Have a plan.
Bike
  • 35m 4s
  • 18 kms
  • 30.80 km/hr
Comments:

Had a slow start on the bike leg probably due to a high heart rate coming out of the pool. Seemed very slow going up the first small hill and couldn't seem to get into any rhythm. Remembered going a lot faster on the first long downhill section in last year's race so I knew something was up. Blew past the first turnaround and locked up my rear wheel slowing down to make the turn and start back. The longish uphill that followed was slow, slow, slow. Just felt too lazy to kick it up a gear and work harder.
Wasn't until the second lap that I started to feel "warmed up" and began to mash the pedals getting up to some decent speeds. Not sure how fast I was going but I was flying on my second go at the long downhill section. Passed a lot of bikers on the second loop and really felt it all coming together. Had my head down flying along and managed to go past the turnaround again! Stupid.
Got a boost from seeing Terry and his sign going back up the hill. Got passed by Haz near the top of the hill and suddenly felt very slow, that guy can move! Had a few problems figuring out some of the turns on the last part of the course and had to be careful of traffic but felt great to come into T2 with all the people cheering.

Try to ensure that Tri Cop Leah isn't looking so I can draft behind Haz as much as possible.
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

It is taking me way too long to get out of T2 these days. Not sure why, but I'm positive that with a bit of work I can reduce transition times considerably. My balance has always sucked so I plan on sneaking a La-Z-Boy recliner into transition to sit on while I take off/put on my shoes. I'll just place it beside my bike, you won't even know it's there.

Practice! practice! practice! Actually, I think one of those poles Batman uses in his batcave would be great. You know, the one where he's inside Wayne Manor wearing a business suit, jumps on the pole and comes out in the Batcave dressed in his Batsuit. Yup, that's what I need.
Run
  • 23m 10s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 38s  min/km
Comments:

Hmm...a whole minute longer than last year...WTF??? This is odd because I was happy with my swim time and ok with my bike time (well, the second half anyway) so I thought that if I gave the run a good effort that I would beat last years race time. Had a bit of a problem with my heart rate being pretty high coming off the bike but the legs felt great as I started out on the run. Once I got past the small uphill at the beginning I settled down and took it easy for the first 750 meters. Slowly got into a tempo then slowly increased my speed throughout the run. Not many other competitors along the course so nobody to pace me or try to catch. I left a lot on the course in last year's run so I was trying to do better this time but once again I misjudged and had lots left in the tank at the end. Seems I ran it more like a 10 k race than a 5 k.
Disappointed because the weather was perfect for a good run effort and time, oh well...

Pacing. Still learning how to listen to my body during a run.
Post race
Warm down:

Sway while standing as volunteer removes timing chip, lean on fence, breath hard, curse for not doing better, then head for the banana and muffin tables.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Age, lack of a $10,000 bike, parent's not enrolling me in swim lessons when I was like 2!

Event comments:

I like this race. This is my favorite indoor pool. The run is good and has lots of variety. A good race for only being three years old. I like the placement at the beginning of August and a good warmup for races later in the season. Might even be back next year.

Note to Matt: I will seriously make you pay at the Victoria Half for beating me in the run, you are toast buddy!

Last updated: 2010-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:44 | 750 meters | 03m 02s / 100meters
Age Group: 5/7
Overall: 139/169
Performance: Good
Suit: one piece tri suit
Course: 15 lengths of a 50 meter indoor pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 20C / 68F Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:04 | 18 kms | 30.80 km/hr
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 26/169
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course along residential/rural paved roads with two 180 degree turnarounds. Nothing serious in the way of elevation for the hills.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:10 | 05 kms | 04m 38s  min/km
Age Group: 2/7
Overall: 38/169
Course: Single loop course along park trails and residential streets. Very small incline at the start of the course but generally flat throughout.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2010-08-09 10:54 PM

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Subject: 2010 Walnut Grove Triathlon

2010-08-09 11:06 PM
in reply to: #3033580

User image

Subject: RE: 2010 Walnut Grove Triathlon
Buddy, great report! Rest assured I'm as shocked with the run result (meaning me being faster than you) as you are. I mean I can't imagine running faster than you, although I did. It just feels, well, sooooo good. 

Haha I'm kidding, mostly. We both know you're the runner out of the two of us and I'm sure you'll kill me in Victoria and every other running race we enter together.  I think the fact that you were out on that course alone was what hurt your time. Chasing people down is really great for making the legs move faster. I think you did great. I'm really happy your seeing results in the swim and can't wait for cultus lake! 
2010-08-09 11:19 PM

User image

Regular
North Vancouver, British Columbia
Riel...
Great Race Report.. so thorough...
I'm still in the tadpole phase of this triathlon thing.. not sure I'd have as much to say/report
2010-08-09 11:40 PM
in reply to: #3033601

User image

Regular
Vancouver
Puddle Duck - 2010-08-09 9:19 PM

Riel...
Great Race Report.. so thorough...
I'm still in the tadpole phase of this triathlon thing.. not sure I'd have as much to say/report

Thanks Jocelynn,

You should compose one anyway. I remember when I was just starting out, I always wanted to read the newbie's reports as they have a wealth of info coming from a rookie perspective I could better relate to and learn from.
It's always nice to read a report from someone new to the sport who has just finished a race you yourself are thinking of signing up for. I think they add more detailed "quality" information about the swim, bike and run courses for example than the more veteran racers who have "been there, done that" already.
And besides, everyone wants to know (me included) if you raced with your clipless pedals on
2010-08-09 11:56 PM
in reply to: #3033612

User image

Regular
North Vancouver, British Columbia
Ok.. I guess I'll write a race report... hee hee... since I've been reading my results and comparing them to last year.. and doing the math..

As for my pedals... I'll save you the suspense.. managed my wet, slippy ride of 38:20... with running shoes & flat pedals...

Wonder what'll happen.. when I finally get reallllllllllllly attached to my bike?!
2010-08-10 9:43 AM

User image

Elite
Oliver, BC, "Wine Capital of Canada"

Well done! 2nd place AG placement too! Ya gotta be happy with that.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2010 Walnut Grove Triathlon Rss Feed