Lifetime Fitness
95F / 35C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 05m 23s
Overall Rank = 557/2000
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 68/106
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 5am. My first Olympic-distance race! Took a quick shower, shaved my legs (knees-down only), ate a bagel and drank some gatorade. Left my friend's house at about 6:30am and rode ~10 blocks to checkin. After getting our body markings and chips, we went to the transition area to set up. The annoucer's first words for the day were "Hope you didn't bring those wetsuits, because you won't be able to use them today -- the water is a balmy 85F!" Crap. We walked through the transition ins/outs and found a shady spot to sit.
Event warmup:

Stayed in the T-area as long as they'd let us, then went down to the beach. Stared at the course and how long it looked. This would be by far the farthest swim I had ever done without a wetsuit, and the view was intimidating. I splashed around for a bit -- water felt nice. Kept taking sips of water and found some more shade. Watched the pros start. When the men went into T-1, we went down to the beach. People were already going out, at 3-second intervals. Our numbers were coming up quickly, so we got into line and I started thinking about the swim -- relax, relax, relax.
Swim
  • 42m 24s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 50s / 100 meters
Comments:

I came out of the water with split emotions -- first of all, I MADE IT! I didn't have to stop, didn't switch strokes, didn't thrash wildly. Awesome! Hey, I just learned how to swim 18 months ago. But then I looked at my watch and said "Ouch." I figured that, even without a wetsuit I could hold a 2:00/100yd pace. Where did I go wrong?

I started off with a nice even pace and kept right on going. I usually have a lot of leg drag, but because I had been suspecting that this would be a no-suit race, I had spent the last few weeks swimming without one, and it paid off. I may have zig-zagged some, but I think I kept a fairly straight course and didn't have any major navigation problems. Navigation was easy with all the people out there.

I could definitely tell that I was getting passed a lot, and I could tell when one wave would finish and the next one would come, as there would be a lull for a few minutes, followed by the rush of a new pack. I was still able to draft for a bit, but I need to work a lot on that. I passed a few people, so I know I wasn't THE slowest swimmer there...just close.

Last 200 yards everything got crazy! I guess people were really making a final push for the finish...I hadn't experienced that before. Someone whacked my legs 4-5 strokes in a row so I just started kicking like a maniac. Shortly thereafter, I took a pretty good whack to the right eye...dunno if it was the same person or not, but hey -- you can go around me, but not over me, ok?
What would you do differently?:

Need more practice, more yardage. Crank up the intensity of my workouts a bit...I'm at the point now where the form is good, and I can start to think about speed (just a bit). Practice drafting. It'll improve over time. Can't say I was disappointed, but hardly thrilled either.
Transition 1
  • 01m 53s
Comments:

I am fast here -- w00t!!! I have worked very hard on my transitions and it pays off consistently on race day. I did a dry run before the race, had my racks counted out correctly, and found my bike quickly (aided somewhat by the fact that almost all the bikes on my rack were already gone!). With my shoes clipped to the bike, I just had to grab my bike and hustle to the mount line. Hopped on whilst rolling and on my way. Got my feet into my shoes without incident.

Age group: 10/106
Overall: 79/2000

Couldn't go much faster...no change.
Bike
  • 1h 17m 11s
  • 24.6 miles
  • 19.12 mile/hr
Comments:

Not bad...was shooting for 20mph, and I think I would have had it...but, after crossing the Ford Bridge, I saw my buddy on the side of the road -- with a flat! And of course, he hadn't brought a pump or tube and I knew it. So, without even thinking, I slammed on the brakes to help him. I had a CO2 pump, tube, and tire irons taped to the bottom of my seat/seat post. He tore the tape off, while I kept saying "Hurry hurry hurry!" It cost me maybe 45 seconds tops, but it killed my momentum. Then again, he had been sitting there for 20 minutes already...

Continuing on, I was coming up a bit short on water between refueling stations. Should have brought another bottle, but live and learn. Near the end I could feel that I was running a bit low and that the heat was starting to get to me. Did more gliding than I would have liked to, but then the course allowed for more near the end also.

I think this is the moment I was most proud of in the race. I could have blown right past him -- hey, he should have been prepared, right? But that's what friends are for. It was all instinct, and I'm glad that even in the heat of competition I didn't put winning ahead of helping a friend. He owes me for a tube and CO2 cartridge though...not to mention the skids on my brand-new tires! ;)
Transition 2
  • 01m 41s
Comments:

Another fast one! I like it. Had my feet on top of my shoes coming into T-2 and hopped off...almost too fast, but I made the corner safely. A quick jog to my rack. Helmet off, socks and shoes on, quick swig of water and off we go!

Age group: 10/106
Overall: 256

Had more fluid/nutrition available for consumption.
Run
  • 1h 02m 14s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 10m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

SO HOT!!! Oh my goodness -- the run absolutely destroyed people, myself included. I was able to run the entire way, but only at a very slow pace (approaching the "Ironman Shuffle"). Just focused on making it to the next water stop, and dousing myself while there. Drank a little Powerade, which tasted heavenly. I refused to walk, although it was so very, very tempting.

I REALLY needed to pee, and very seriously contemplated going on myself -- didn't want to stop, couldn't find a portable, but also couldn't find a spot devoid of spectators to embarass myself in front of. So I held it, and it hurt. Not as much as the incredible heat, though.

Saw a few friends after lap one, and again down the homestretch. Really needed the cheers at that point, so I got my arms up to make the crowd make some noise. Cheer, damn you! Finished by going backwards through the chute -- why not? I figured.

Train in the Amazon. Did the best I could, considering the conditions. Better race nutrition may have helped somewhat, but really it was just brutal out there and I was glad to make it through in one piece.
Post race
Warm down:

Made it to the finishers area and things got hazy. Found lots of water and a piece of shade and got down on my hands and knees. Kept pouring liquids over my head and back but wasn't getting cooler. Other people gave me their water too -- I must have really looked bad. I felt it too. Stayed down for about 30 minutes and then started to come back around. Would have liked to enjoy some of the delicious post-race food, but the thought of a steaming-hot plate of Fat Lorenzo's pasta and pizza on a 100F day just made me dizzy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Besides the incredible, blazing heat? I am really kicking myself over my slow swim time. Had I knocked even 5 minutes off of that, I would have come in under 3 hours, which was my "B" goal for the day. My T's were quick and my bike/run splits were right in the middle of the pack -- if I can continue to improve my swimming, I'll quickly move up to be the MOP'er I long to be. Since I am so new to swimming though, I feel confident that I will continue to see rapid improvements.

Event comments:

Thank you to the 1300 volunteers! What a race -- a major production. I was a little disappointed that only 33 of the 44 promised pros made it to the start -- I thought it made the pro field look to thin. The TV coverage was ok, but NBC could do a much better job. I have mixed feelings about the Equalizer format and the time-trial starting format, but if it does good things for the sport then I'm for it.

Last updated: 2005-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:42:24 | 1500 meters | 02m 50s / 100meters
Age Group: 102/106
Overall: 929/2000
Performance: Average
Suit: none
Course: Triangular, buoys to the right. Well marked, lots of assistance if needed.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:53
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:17:11 | 24.6 miles | 19.12 mile/hr
Age Group: 59/106
Overall: 420/2000
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Around lakes Nokomis and Harriet, up and down the Mighty Mississippi, mostly flat with some brief hills and tricky turns. Just a gorgeous course! We were so lucky to have all the roads closed (you can ride the course any day, but have to stop at stop signs, watch for traffic, etc).
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:41
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:02:14 | 06.2 miles | 10m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 58/106
Overall: 493/2000
Performance: Below average
Course: 2 loops around Lake Nokomis. 50/50 sun and shade. An occasional light hint of a breeze, just to tease. Upper 90's, full midday sun, oppressive humidity.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %!!!
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-07-18 2:20 PM

User image

New user

Ames, IA
Subject: Lifetime Fitness Triathlon

2005-07-18 3:13 PM
in reply to: #201362

User image

Frugal Gear Geek
having fun with the kids
Subject: RE: Lifetime Fitness Triathlon
Welcome to the world of the Oly. I too did my first Oly this weekend, wish I could say mine was as good as yours Be careful stopping and helping, could get a penalty or DQ if a judge sees you. Friends are still friends though.
2005-07-18 8:11 PM
in reply to: #201362

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Lifetime Fitness Triathlon
Congrats on a great race. Like you I take the transition serious and you are flat out fast. 79 out of 2000 unbelievable. Also a class act on the tire. Way to go.

Ken
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lifetime Fitness Triathlon Rss Feed