United States
HFP Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 17m 41s
Overall Rank = 89/342
Age Group = F 25-29
Age Group Rank = 1/10
Pre-race routine:

This was a last minute decision to do this race. I found out on Wednesday that my son's Dad was going to take him camping for the weekend so I would be sans parental responsibilities so I called up my friends who I knew were going to the race and had offered to pick me up and let me camp with them to see if the offer was still available. It was and so we camped out in a tent in the park the night before the race. It took me forever to fall asleep, pre-race jitters still get me, plus I was thinking about the fact that I had let my friends talk me into doing the half at NC Triple T - WTF? Anyway, I was the last one to get up at 6:15. Went and changed ate a cliff bar and headed over to transition.
Event warmup:

Thanks to my Triathlon Parents and/or benefactors who presented me with one of their old wetsuits - Oh yeah baby I have a wetsuit now THANKS MIKE & T. I got into the wetsuit and bumped into CincyTodd and we headed down to little old Lake Erie for a warm-up swim.
Swim
  • 13m 34s
  • 820 yards
  • 01m 39s / 100 yards
Comments:

Holy Moley Batman - having a wetsuit makes a huge difference. I can't believe the difference it made, I felt like I was slipping through the water like a hot knife through butter. This is the first race where I didn't have a panic moment and felt completely at ease, this is also the fastest swim time I've seen yet this season. I passed people on the swim and did not have anyone pass me - wha? I actually got kind of ticked off because I caught up to some of clydes from the wave in front of me and literally smacked right into one who was just there treading water - seriously dude? Seriously, I understand the need to stop and catch one's breath but don't stop in the middle of the main flow of traffic, get out to the outside at least a little bit - sheesh.
What would you do differently?:

Still more time with some speed work to help improve overall speed and endurance.
Transition 1
  • 01m 8s
Comments:

Alas, this was slower then usual for me (although not too bad overall) because I have a WETSUIT (yes!), I peeled out of the top on the run to transition, stripped out of the left leg no problems and then it got stuck just the slightest bit on my right heel, not enough to cost me any serious time but still...

I don't know, maybe body glide or pam on the ankles of the suit.
Bike
  • 35m 57s
  • 11.43 miles
  • 19.08 mile/hr
Comments:

According to three seperate people I talked to, the course was short, 11.43 miles instead of 12.43 so I changed the distance in this race report template to reflect that as I wanted to know more accurately my speed. I am super excited because 19 mph is pretty danged speedy for me. The surfaces of the roads for the first two miles were awful, had to ride in the drops, no way one could ride in aero on those surfaces. This was the first race that I competed in with having the aero bars added to the bike and it was awesome, seriously, 19 mph?!?!?!? Outside of Maumee (which was a complete anomaly), I have never been faster then 17 mph, so I am stoked. The course was flat and fast, I was able to pass a few folks but also got passed by plenty of the people on the fancy bikes.

More time in the saddle.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

Not much to do since I don't change shoes here, I almost knocked the rack over though trying to throw my bike back up, I was just so excited - good thing there was a volunteer right there who caught the rack before it could fall over.

Nada.
Run
  • 26m 24s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

Hmph, I thought this would have been faster then what it was, don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining as 8:29 per mile is still a faster time for me but I did think this would have been faster or maybe that was just wishful thinking. It was still good enough to rank me #1 in my age group so what am I complaining about right?

I've slacked in training over the last three weeks and could tell that on the run. Guess it's time to get back down to business.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some fruit and water, ate a PB&J and waited for Teresa to finish. Chatted with a few folks then packed our stuff and got on the road.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I needed to spend more time training and less time goofing off over the last three weeks!

Event comments:

Overall this was an awesome race for me, I took first place in my AG WTF?!?!? I also learned that apparently I am holding second place overall in the wheelie fun series which I had know idea about. It was really exciting to do this well, I never thought I would EVER place in my AG let alone win my AG and be a contender for placing in the series. Triathlon has been an awesome addition to my life and one now, that I can't imagine not having.

PS. HFP did an awesome job with post-race food and what not for this race, there was lots of selection of fresh fruit, PB&J, Pizza, Pop, water and cookies. Nice Job HFP!

Last updated: 2010-08-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:34 | 820 yards | 01m 39s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 0/342
Performance: Good
Suit: Full-Length Wetsuit
Course: Single loop of a Rectangle in Lake Erie with the long sides running parallel to shore.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:08
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:35:57 | 11.43 miles | 19.08 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/10
Wind:
Course: The course took you through downtown Vermilion and country roads surrounding it. According to three seperate people I talked to, the course was short, 11.43 miles instead of 12.43.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:26:24 | 03.11 miles | 08m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/10
Performance: Average
Course: Through the neighborhoods of Vermilion and into downtown, I think the summer vacationers thought we were there just for them, it was pretty funny.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-16 10:01 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: Vermilion Harbour Tri & Du

2010-08-16 11:10 AM
in reply to: #3045693

User image

Extreme Veteran
Chicago
Subject: RE: Vermilion Harbour Tri & Du
Awesome job out there.  I am glad that we finished before the horrible afternoon heat and humidity hit us.  I finished with about the same time as you but you beat me by about a 1 minute   I did the race last year too and knocked about 9 minutes off my time this year. 

BIG CONGRATS on the 1st place AG...that's awesome!

I too think the bike course was around 11.43.  I accidentally reset by computer on the way back but based on how close I was back to transition I agree with the people you talked to.

I love racing there.  It's very well run and the volunteers are great!
2010-08-16 7:43 PM

User image

Delaware, OH
OMG girl you are EPIC!!!!  I'm so happy for you and your first place AG win!  Wohoo!!!!! 
2010-08-16 8:22 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
a 1 minute T1? 1st time stripping wetsuit,shoes,helmet,etc? I bow to my new transition overlord.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vermilion Harbour Tri & Du Rss Feed