BT Development ARE YOU NEW? Beginner Triathlete Group Training » Getting Started Rss Feed  
Moderators: Tri Take Me Away, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-10-06 3:07 PM
in reply to: #3136833

User image

Champion
Schwamalamadingdong!
Subject: RE: Getting Started
tkd.teacher - 2010-10-06 3:02 PM

TheSchwamm - 2010-10-06 12:28 PM Hello! Is anyone else following the conservative couch to 5k program?

Hmmmm.....

something doesn't seem right. 7300+ posts, and you're following the "conservative" C25K program?

qua? :p

John

right second mpj ligament repair, March 2009. My foot's finally stopped swelling up if i go for walks more than twice a week.

ETA: But if it's inappropriate that i look here for some other folks who are working their way through this program, that's fine, too!

Edited by TheSchwamm 2010-10-06 3:22 PM

2010-10-06 3:28 PM
in reply to: #3136847

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
TheSchwamm - 2010-10-06 1:07 PM
tkd.teacher - 2010-10-06 3:02 PM
TheSchwamm - 2010-10-06 12:28 PM Hello! Is anyone else following the conservative couch to 5k program?

Hmmmm.....

something doesn't seem right. 7300+ posts, and you're following the "conservative" C25K program?

qua? :p

John
right second mpj ligament repair, March 2009. My foot's finally stopped swelling up if i go for walks more than twice a week. ETA: But if it's inappropriate that i look here for some other folks who are working their way through this program, that's fine, too!

No, no no, not at all inappropriate, and sorry if I gave that impression!

Just looked a little odd to find someone with that much experience on the board looking for a conservative program. :D

Sweet talk TTMA a bit and I'm sure she'll put up a thread for you. Or, you could even hang out in the aggressive thread for a bit. It's all a 5k, I'm sure people won't mind if your program goes a bit slower than others :D (Dang, even that sounded bad. time for lunch.)

John

Edited by tkd.teacher 2010-10-06 4:50 PM
2010-10-08 11:01 PM
in reply to: #3052855

So I was sitting with my brother and got into talking fitness and stuff and the talk ended up with us challenging eachother to a triathlon that is happening on Oct 24th to prove who is fitter among the two of us The winner gets a cash prize and bragging rights!
I have never run a triathlon. Below is a summary of my current fitness level.

I am generally a fit person and have done a couple of rounds of the fitness program P90X. However, I stopped about four months ago due to sciatic nerve problem and in the past four months I have not been doing much of any workouts. I started working out again a couple of weeks ago and the following may give an idea of my fitness level.

1. I ran 3 miles last weekend in about 29 minutes - think i could do a little better if I wanted to.
3. I can swim about 400m with some stamina left at the end of the swim. I have done it a few times in past four months.
4. Haven't been on a bicycle since I was 16 - now I am 34. I weigh 158lbs and am 5ft 10.5 inches.

The triathlon is 500m swim, 16 mile bike, and 3 mile run happening on Oct 24.

My questions are
1. I am planning to go the gym to swim 500m, take shower, then get on the training bike at gym to do 16miles without resistance, and then running 3 miles on treadmill (sometimes on the road). Will try to do that 5-6 days a week. Any ideas if this is the right thing to do or if I should adopt a different routine?  Any rest that I need to take before the actual event?

2. How should my nutrition be? When doing p90x, I used to keep track of it at myfitnesspal.com so know how to track carbs, proteins, etc. but have no idea how the balance should be when training for a triathlon.

3. I need to buy a bike - so what is my best option here? what bike should I buy or can I rent one on the day of the event and just train at the gym bike before that?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by horsewhisperer 2010-10-11 9:52 PM
2010-10-11 11:15 AM
in reply to: #3142182

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
horsewhisperer - 2010-10-08 11:01 PM

So I was sitting with my brother and got into talking fitness and stuff and the talk ended up with us challenging eachother to a triathlon that is happening on Oct 24th to prove who is fitter among the two of us The winner gets a cash prize and bragging rights!
I have never run a triathlon. Below is a summary of my current fitness level.

I am generally a fit person and have done a couple of rounds of the fitness program P90X. However, I stopped about four months ago due to sciatic nerve problem and in the past four months I have not been doing much of any workouts. I started working out again a couple of weeks ago and the following may give an idea of my fitness level.

1. I ran 3 miles last weekend in about 36 minutes - think i could do a little better if I wanted to.
3. I can swim about 400m with some stamina left at the end of the swim. I have done it a few times in past four months.
4. Haven't been on a bicycle since I was 16 - now I am 34. I weigh 158lbs and am 5ft 10.5 inches.

The triathlon is 500m swim, 16 mile bike, and 3 mile run happening on Oct 24.

My questions are
1. I am planning to go the gym to swim 500m, take shower, then get on the training bike at gym to do 16miles without resistance, and then running 3 miles on treadmill (sometimes on the road). Will try to do that 5-6 days a week. Any ideas if this is the right thing to do or if I should adopt a different routine?  Any rest that I need to take before the actual event?

2. How should my nutrition be? When doing p90x, I used to keep track of it at myfitnesspal.com so know how to track carbs, proteins, etc. but have no idea how the balance should be when training for a triathlon.

3. I need to buy a bike - so what is my best option here? what bike should I buy or can I rent one on the day of the event and just train at the gym bike before that?

Any tips would be appreciated. Thanks!

Wow, how fun! Welcome to BT and to triathlon training!
Since you aren't using the training plans here in this forum and it looks like you don't plan to, I would suggest you ask this question in Tri Talk. I think a lot of people will have fun answering you questions!
I did my first triathlon with about 2 weeks notice. I did the distances all back to back one time before the race, just to be sure I could do it. That's all you need to do, and that is not even necessary.
Go to a bike shop and get an idea of what size you need. Either buy an entry level road bike from a bike store or use the store to find out what size to buy and look for a used bike on Craigslist or Ebay.
Visit Tri Talk here and post your question to get more thorough advice. Remember, this is Begginer Triathlete and all beginner questions are totally appropriate.
2010-10-13 4:30 PM

Hi Jessica

I am planning to do the 22 week couch to sprint program.  Im going to be training for my first sprint the first of May.  My question is what would be the most beneficial for me to do up to when I start the 22 week program?  In other words...what should I be doing now?  I do have a place to swim now.... help?
2010-10-14 3:34 PM
in reply to: #3150460

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
stewandtoni - 2010-10-13 4:30 PM Hi Jessica

I am planning to do the 22 week couch to sprint program.  Im going to be training for my first sprint the first of May.  My question is what would be the most beneficial for me to do up to when I start the 22 week program?  In other words...what should I be doing now?  I do have a place to swim now.... help?

Welcome to BT! I would suggest a couple of things to get you ready for your training plan:
1. Pick a few workouts from each discipline from the training plan and try them out. This will help you get a feel for what your training will be like.
2. Get consistent with your workouts. You don't need to be following a plan, but you should be trying to consistently swim, bike, and run every week to get you at a fitness level comparable to that first week in the training program.

2010-10-28 11:35 AM

Hello, 
My name is Melissa and I am a baby at all this stuff.  I really need help being directed to how to do the logs and join groups and navigate my way through BT website.  I am about 20 lbs over weight and I need to start somewhere.  If my goal is a sprint triathlon in about  a year, where do I start?
Thank you,
Melissa 
2010-10-30 6:38 AM
in reply to: #3179569

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
melissamatthew - 2010-10-28 11:35 AM Hello, 
My name is Melissa and I am a baby at all this stuff.  I really need help being directed to how to do the logs and join groups and navigate my way through BT website.  I am about 20 lbs over weight and I need to start somewhere.  If my goal is a sprint triathlon in about  a year, where do I start?
Thank you,
Melissa 

Welcome to BT! We are happy to have you and appreciate you dropping into the forum! I am going to send you a private message to help answer some of your questions. In the meantime, please check out the Home Page of BT and watch some of the videos that are displayed just below the header graphic. I bet those will be very helpful as you try to get the hang of using your log and loading a training plan.
2010-11-01 12:04 PM

Hi Jessica, I am new to the site and it is great !! I am planning for my first triathlon in July, and was hoping you could suggest a training program for me. My largest concern is the swimming. I am in good shape, very active, and think that I will be ok with the biking / running (as long as I properly train). I have approx. 3-7 hrs a wk to train. Appreciate any advice you or anyone else on hear can provide. thx !!!!!

Matt
2010-11-01 2:25 PM
in reply to: #3188810

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
blazin27777 - 2010-11-01 12:04 PM Hi Jessica, I am new to the site and it is great !! I am planning for my first triathlon in July, and was hoping you could suggest a training program for me. My largest concern is the swimming. I am in good shape, very active, and think that I will be ok with the biking / running (as long as I properly train). I have approx. 3-7 hrs a wk to train. Appreciate any advice you or anyone else on hear can provide. thx !!!!!

Matt

Hi Matt, and welcome to BT! What distance will your first race be? A sprint? Are you new to swimming? What kind of exercising have you been doing? Lots of questions, I know! But they will help me figure out what you will work best for you.

2010-11-09 10:25 AM

User image

Athens, GA

Hi Jessica,

I am using the Winter Maintenance/Prep - 4 to 7 Hours - 20 Week program for the winter. I have done 2 sprints this past season (Aug and Oct) using a beginner training program from about March of the year onward for these 2 races. I want to try and do a "full" season of sprints this summer and maybe a OLY at the end of the summer or in 2012.  I have no real desire to go longer than that. I am the opposite of normal in tri world, in that I LOVE the swim part and HATE the running. So longer then a 10k seems evil at this point, but that my change as I get into better shape. 

I have a few beginner questions. For the winter program I don’t think any of the workout are bricks, so does it matter which one I do first (all of the 2x workouts are swim/run). Also can they be split up, one in the morning and one after work, or should they be kept together. In that same light can the core parts be done later on or should they be done at the same time at the ST?

Also what is your take on the whole good/bad leg extension thing?  

Thanks

2010-11-11 11:26 AM
in reply to: #3202648

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Ail - 2010-11-09 10:25 AM

Hi Jessica,

I am using the Winter Maintenance/Prep - 4 to 7 Hours - 20 Week program for the winter. I have done 2 sprints this past season (Aug and Oct) using a beginner training program from about March of the year onward for these 2 races. I want to try and do a "full" season of sprints this summer and maybe a OLY at the end of the summer or in 2012.  I have no real desire to go longer than that. I am the opposite of normal in tri world, in that I LOVE the swim part and HATE the running. So longer then a 10k seems evil at this point, but that my change as I get into better shape. 

I have a few beginner questions. For the winter program I don’t think any of the workout are bricks, so does it matter which one I do first (all of the 2x workouts are swim/run). Also can they be split up, one in the morning and one after work, or should they be kept together. In that same light can the core parts be done later on or should they be done at the same time at the ST?

Also what is your take on the whole good/bad leg extension thing?  

Thanks

Welcome to BT! Congrats on your first season! You absolutely do not have to do the workouts back to back. It's better to do them with at least a few hours between to allow you to recover from the first a bit before you do the next. Most people do one before work and one after.
It doesn't matter which one you do first, either. Whatever works best for your schedule is what you should do.
You can also do the core whenever you can fit it in. Don't feel any obligation to do it with your other strength workouts.
Not sure exactly what you are referring to with the leg extensions. Are you wondering whether to follow the ST part of the plan exactly as written? We can certainly discuss that but I wanted to make sure exactly what you meant first.
2010-11-11 12:32 PM
in reply to: #3206618

User image

Athens, GA
Thanks for the info.  As for the leg extension thing, I have read in a few places that leg extension can be really bad for your knees and it is best not to do them, but instead replace them with lunges or squats or the like. Others feel that as long as you don't overload the knee and start the exercise at the max of a 90 degree angle between your lower and upper leg (in the sitting position) that you will be OK. I was just wondering what your take was on the matter. I am not a big kid and the plans are not really for making us bigger, as that would kind of defeat the whole tri thing, but was just wondering what your take on it was. 
Thanks again for your input. Smile
2010-11-12 1:13 PM
in reply to: #3206725

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Ail - 2010-11-11 12:32 PM Thanks for the info.  As for the leg extension thing, I have read in a few places that leg extension can be really bad for your knees and it is best not to do them, but instead replace them with lunges or squats or the like. Others feel that as long as you don't overload the knee and start the exercise at the max of a 90 degree angle between your lower and upper leg (in the sitting position) that you will be OK. I was just wondering what your take was on the matter. I am not a big kid and the plans are not really for making us bigger, as that would kind of defeat the whole tri thing, but was just wondering what your take on it was. 
Thanks again for your input. Smile

Ok, gotcha. I love squats and lunges!! I personally train my clients without any weight machines. I try to include as many compound movements as possible, so I prefer not to do any isolation exercises. For squats, I work on getting them as low as possible (a$$ to the grass) without their heels coming off the ground, and with the lunges I make sure to use not only forward lunges but rotation lunges, jump lunges, side lunges, etc. If they need additional weight, I have med balls, kettlebells, and dumbells.

I do think it is very wise to be careful with the weight with the leg extensions. Since triathletes aren't usually looking to add bulk or even to get stronger but want instead to be able to exercise longer without fatigue and remain injury free, I would encourage you to keep the weight light to moderate.
2010-11-13 3:21 AM

I have just logged onto this site today, as I am considering a triathlon in April. I am a comfortable swimer (doing a 2.4km open water in a few weeks) and have always been a keen runner (but been taking that easy for the last few months), however have not been on a bike since I was a kid, although I would say I have a good level of fitness.

The beginner training program looks extremely time-intensive. I am a busy mum of 2 just wondering is there a training program which is high in intensity but lighter on the amount of training sessions per week. I think realistically I would have time for 4 sessions per week, 5 at a push. Is this enough to get me over the line, or should I consider another past time? My brother just did Noosa triathlon and I watched him, and got me very motivated to try one too.

Advice welcomed!
2010-11-15 9:27 AM
in reply to: #3209225

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
clairepech - 2010-11-13 3:21 AM I have just logged onto this site today, as I am considering a triathlon in April. I am a comfortable swimer (doing a 2.4km open water in a few weeks) and have always been a keen runner (but been taking that easy for the last few months), however have not been on a bike since I was a kid, although I would say I have a good level of fitness.

The beginner training program looks extremely time-intensive. I am a busy mum of 2 just wondering is there a training program which is high in intensity but lighter on the amount of training sessions per week. I think realistically I would have time for 4 sessions per week, 5 at a push. Is this enough to get me over the line, or should I consider another past time? My brother just did Noosa triathlon and I watched him, and got me very motivated to try one too.

Advice welcomed!

You can do a triathlon on 4-5 sessions a week, no worries! Yes, most triathletes train twice a day, but if you don't have that kind of time you can still race.
Yes, lots of people use a more high intensity/lower volume approach and that can work really well for someone like you that already has a swim and run base to build off of. The problem is, most plans are volume based, especially beginner plans.
I did find one plan here on BT that is for time-crunched people. You have to be a silver member to access it, but it may be a good option for you as it tops out at 6 hours and 2x a week per sport. You can find it here.
The other thing you can consider is hiring a coach to build a plan for you. It may cost $75.00 or so for a plan but it may be worth it for you if you can't find an existing plan that suits your needs.
Let me know if you have any other questions!

2010-11-18 8:50 AM

I am going to be starting the 22 week sprint training program I found here very soon (re as soon as I've talked to the nutritionist at work).....

My biggest question comes from the Triathlete's Training Bible.... Is doing the sprint training too much sport specific stuff for this far out from my triathlon in mid July? I know we're supposed to do high volume generalized training to start, but I need to get my body moving in the right direction for speed and endurance as well.

Also, are there tri-specific strength training workouts out there? I hate doing strength training becaue it bores me, but I know I need to do it especially now.... Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Bry
2010-11-18 12:55 PM
in reply to: #3216348

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
starfaerie82 - 2010-11-18 8:50 AM I am going to be starting the 22 week sprint training program I found here very soon (re as soon as I've talked to the nutritionist at work).....

My biggest question comes from the Triathlete's Training Bible.... Is doing the sprint training too much sport specific stuff for this far out from my triathlon in mid July? I know we're supposed to do high volume generalized training to start, but I need to get my body moving in the right direction for speed and endurance as well.

Also, are there tri-specific strength training workouts out there? I hate doing strength training becaue it bores me, but I know I need to do it especially now.... Any tips?

Thanks in advance!
Bry

Hi Bry, and welcome to BT! Are you planning on doing the sprint plan for 22 weeks, then starting it again to get you to your race in July? You could wait until the race is 22 weeks away, and just consistently train all three sports until that time comes. As a beginner, it's important to stick with lower intensity training to build endurance. You WILL get faster just doing that, as you are new to the sport. Even professional athletes do tons and tons of low intensity, high volume training.
There are some strength training articles here on BT that might interest you. I agree, most strength training is terribly boring. All of my athletes do free weights and body weight stuff only, and I change it every week so it doesn't get boring. Working on core strength is always a good idea, as well as basic compound movements like squats, lunges, pushups and pullups.
2010-11-20 8:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Arvada
I'm not sure if this is the place to post this question or not but I've recently started following the Winter maint. program with the intent of doing a 1/2 Ironman program come spring next year. I've done several different type training plans over the years and I'm wondering about training by time. The longest runs I see are around 70 minutes on this plan. So that brings us to the question. I'm a pretty slow runner and I'm afraid that training by time as this plan does will leave me behind the 8 ball come spring. I just finished training for/running a 1/2 marathon and now I'm back to 30 minute runs which unfortunately doesn't get me that far. I'm wondering if it would be better to "convert" those times to miles, say 30 minutes = 3 mile run. (30 minutes would probably only get me to about 2 1/2 on an easy run) Thanks in advance for any help!
2010-11-22 10:58 AM
in reply to: #3219306

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
julta - 2010-11-20 8:40 AM I'm not sure if this is the place to post this question or not but I've recently started following the Winter maint. program with the intent of doing a 1/2 Ironman program come spring next year. I've done several different type training plans over the years and I'm wondering about training by time. The longest runs I see are around 70 minutes on this plan. So that brings us to the question. I'm a pretty slow runner and I'm afraid that training by time as this plan does will leave me behind the 8 ball come spring. I just finished training for/running a 1/2 marathon and now I'm back to 30 minute runs which unfortunately doesn't get me that far. I'm wondering if it would be better to "convert" those times to miles, say 30 minutes = 3 mile run. (30 minutes would probably only get me to about 2 1/2 on an easy run) Thanks in advance for any help!

Hi Julie. I can see why you are having trouble finding a place to ask this question since you can't use the Gold forum and this forum is for the free plans so there isn't a thread for any of the winter maintenance plans. I think your best bet is to ask this question in the Triathlon Talk forum. In general, I think you will be best served if you make sure you are getting in all of your run workouts or if you choose a run focused winter maintenance plan.
2010-11-23 1:30 PM

User image

New user

Hi Jessica,

Im 47 years old and currently training for my first 5K Jan 1st.  Over the summer my normal cardio consisted of running ,biking and a swim at the end. I started thinking why not give a sprint triathlon a try since im already doing all three anyhow.  Of course winter is here so my swimming at the lake is over, but after my 5K in Jan I will see if I can find an indoor pool.

Anyway, great site and Im glad I found it. Lots of information here.

Barry

2010-11-24 10:14 AM
in reply to: #3223577

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Barry1963 - 2010-11-23 1:30 PM Hi Jessica,

Im 47 years old and currently training for my first 5K Jan 1st.  Over the summer my normal cardio consisted of running ,biking and a swim at the end. I started thinking why not give a sprint triathlon a try since im already doing all three anyhow.  Of course winter is here so my swimming at the lake is over, but after my 5K in Jan I will see if I can find an indoor pool.

Anyway, great site and Im glad I found it. Lots of information here.

Barry

Welcome to BT, Barry! We are neighbors..I live in Hendersonville.
2010-12-01 11:29 AM

New user

Hello Jessica,

I'm a newbie Clydesdale (280) and and have just started the 20 week Winter Maintenance program to start building a base. My goal is to compete in several sprint tris in 2011. If I follow the Winter maintenance program it has me finishing up around 4/17/11. I am looking to do the White Lake Sprint on 5/15/11 or the Greensboro Sprint on 5/22/11 as my first sprint race.

Here are my questions:

(i) by following the Winter Maintenance program - will I have built up decent base to compete in either of the sprints

(ii) what plan should I follow in between ending the maintenance program and preparing for the sprint tri 5 weeks later

(iii) am I planning too agressively for a sprint tri in May and should instead do a 8-12 week tri plan afterwards and race in August/September.

Thanks! Any advice gratefully received.

2010-12-01 2:21 PM

New user

Hi,
I'm 16 and I've been training a minimum of 8 times a week for rowing for the past year - so I am quite fit. I used to do a lot of cross country running, and due to injury I've spent quite few hours in the pool too. Unfortunately over time I've found rowing isn't really the sport for me, a couple of people have suggested to me that a triathlon might be a better bet but I'm not sure where to start with training or races as I don't know what training I should start with. Could you suggest a plan from those on here? I'm a bit stuck as I'm not coming from nothing - but don't feel quite ready to take on some of the bigger challenges.
Thank you
Jazz  
2010-12-01 3:03 PM

Hi all,My name's Matt and I am a newbie to this site and the tri scene. I am after a bit of advice really. I would like to enter a tri event when the season starts here in the UK next March/April but I am unsure of what distance I should enter or what training program I should follow. Currently I am training 5/6 times a week which includes 2-2.5k swim (50-55mins), basketball session (1 hour), boxercise session (1 hour), mountain biking (c.25 miles) and 2running sessions normally between 6 and 10 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Cheers.
New Thread
BT Development ARE YOU NEW? Beginner Triathlete Group Training » Getting Started Rss Feed  

of 7