BT Development ARE YOU NEW? Beginner Triathlete Group Training » Getting Started Rss Feed  
Moderators: Tri Take Me Away, alicefoeller Reply

of 7

2010-12-01 3:38 PM
in reply to: #3232268

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: Getting Started
jwillett1 - 2010-12-01 11:29 AM Hello Jessica, I'm a newbie Clydesdale (280) and and have just started the 20 week Winter Maintenance program to start building a base. My goal is to compete in several sprint tris in 2011. If I follow the Winter maintenance program it has me finishing up around 4/17/11. I am looking to do the White Lake Sprint on 5/15/11 or the Greensboro Sprint on 5/22/11 as my first sprint race. Here are my questions: (i) by following the Winter Maintenance program - will I have built up decent base to compete in either of the sprints (ii) what plan should I follow in between ending the maintenance program and preparing for the sprint tri 5 weeks later (iii) am I planning too agressively for a sprint tri in May and should instead do a 8-12 week tri plan afterwards and race in August/September. Thanks! Any advice gratefully received.

Welcome to BT!
I think you will have a nice base built up by following the winter maintenance plan. Have you looked at any of the sprint plans yet? You may want to do the winter plan until 13 (or 16) weeks out from your sprint, then switch to the sprint plan. As long as you can run 30 minutes, swim 30 minutes, and bike 40 minutes, a sprint plan will work fine for you.
The other option would be to only follow the last 5 weeks of one of the sprint plans once you finish the winter plan. It looks like the winter plan has a lot more hours than the sprint plans, so if you follow the winter plan for 20 weeks you will be in good shape to handle that first triathlon.

2010-12-01 4:00 PM
in reply to: #3232634

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
jtredget - 2010-12-01 2:21 PM Hi,
I'm 16 and I've been training a minimum of 8 times a week for rowing for the past year - so I am quite fit. I used to do a lot of cross country running, and due to injury I've spent quite few hours in the pool too. Unfortunately over time I've found rowing isn't really the sport for me, a couple of people have suggested to me that a triathlon might be a better bet but I'm not sure where to start with training or races as I don't know what training I should start with. Could you suggest a plan from those on here? I'm a bit stuck as I'm not coming from nothing - but don't feel quite ready to take on some of the bigger challenges.
Thank you
Jazz  

Welcome! I would recommend you start with a sprint triathlon early in the spring since you already in good shape. It may not be as much training as you are used to, but it will give you a sense of what it's like to train for a race and find time to work out twice a day some days.
Trifind.com has a good triathlon calendar. I don't know where you live, but you can search here in BT for races in your area as well, and there are also state forums where you may be able to get an idea of what races are popular in your area.
I would suggest the 20 week 2x balanced or 20 week 3x balanced sprint plan, depending on how easily you can fit in twice a day training. Pick a race in May or June and start training specifically for it in January if you can. If you live somewhere cold, pick a race later in the season or pick the 13 week sprint plan.
2010-12-01 4:04 PM
in reply to: #3232714

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Mattyc32 - 2010-12-01 3:03 PM Hi all,My name's Matt and I am a newbie to this site and the tri scene. I am after a bit of advice really. I would like to enter a tri event when the season starts here in the UK next March/April but I am unsure of what distance I should enter or what training program I should follow. Currently I am training 5/6 times a week which includes 2-2.5k swim (50-55mins), basketball session (1 hour), boxercise session (1 hour), mountain biking (c.25 miles) and 2running sessions normally between 6 and 10 miles. Any help would be greatly appreciated.Cheers.

Welcome to BT! I would recommend you start out with a sprint triathlon. You will easily be able to accomplish this in March or April based on your current fitness level. The hard part is being disciplined and finding the time to get in 2x a day training. You can use any of the sprint plans, but you might also want to consider an Olympic distance plan even if you do a sprint triathlon, just because your mileage is already pretty high in all three sports.
All the plans are listed here.  Some of the plans have more active threads here in this forum than others, so take that into account as well if you want to have people to talk with that are also following the same plan.
2010-12-03 10:48 PM
in reply to: #3224792

User image

New user

Tri Take Me Away - 2010-11-24 10:14 AM
Barry1963 - 2010-11-23 1:30 PM Hi Jessica,

Im 47 years old and currently training for my first 5K Jan 1st.  Over the summer my normal cardio consisted of running ,biking and a swim at the end. I started thinking why not give a sprint triathlon a try since im already doing all three anyhow.  Of course winter is here so my swimming at the lake is over, but after my 5K in Jan I will see if I can find an indoor pool.

Anyway, great site and Im glad I found it. Lots of information here.

Barry

Welcome to BT, Barry! We are neighbors..I live in Hendersonville.

Yes we are neighbors
2010-12-07 1:37 PM
in reply to: #3052855

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I am obviously new here.  I had planned on doing a Sprint Tri this past Sept. but didn't make it.  I am definitely planning on a couple of sprints this coming year.  I am 50 and fairly active.  I train in tae kwon do twice a week (2nd degree bb), and I also teach (and participate as well) a total body kickbox/weight/intervals class (my own hybrid using weights, bands, medicine balls, etc.) 4x per week.  I run 5 and 10ks from time-to-time.  I don't really train for them, just go and run (usually to support a cause).  I want to do the tri as a challenge.  The problem is time to train, and pushing myself to do so.  I am not a big fan of running but can do a 5k in 30 min.  I swim but not regularly (summer only), and I haven't been biking for some time.  I don't currently own a useable bike so need to purchase one.  I figured I could purchase a bike and start there during the winter (I live in Texas).  I know this is pretty vague, but my problem is boredom.  Undecided  Any training advice?  Thanks so much.
2010-12-07 3:39 PM
in reply to: #3240001

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
luv2bhealthy - 2010-12-07 1:37 PM I am obviously new here.  I had planned on doing a Sprint Tri this past Sept. but didn't make it.  I am definitely planning on a couple of sprints this coming year.  I am 50 and fairly active.  I train in tae kwon do twice a week (2nd degree bb), and I also teach (and participate as well) a total body kickbox/weight/intervals class (my own hybrid using weights, bands, medicine balls, etc.) 4x per week.  I run 5 and 10ks from time-to-time.  I don't really train for them, just go and run (usually to support a cause).  I want to do the tri as a challenge.  The problem is time to train, and pushing myself to do so.  I am not a big fan of running but can do a 5k in 30 min.  I swim but not regularly (summer only), and I haven't been biking for some time.  I don't currently own a useable bike so need to purchase one.  I figured I could purchase a bike and start there during the winter (I live in Texas).  I know this is pretty vague, but my problem is boredom.  Undecided  Any training advice?  Thanks so much.

Welcome to BT, and thanks for joining us here.
I would suggest you start with one of the free Sprint plans. Since you are in shape already, you will probably be fine with the 13 week plan. During those 13 weeks, you will have to devote yourself more to your triathlon training and less to your other pursuits. Don't worry, it's only temporary!
Try to find a triathlon training group in your area to train with. Visit the Texas forum here on BT and you might get to know other triathletes in your area that can introduce you to new routes, groups, and races.

2010-12-18 11:47 PM

User image

Gaithersburg
Subject: New to Triathlon
Hello,

I'm new to this whole triathlon thing... I've decided to do an triathlon in August because I grew up being active: skiing, ice hockey, track (1600 m) etc.  But stopped being active as a result of some ankle problems (only about 50% mobility).  I think doing a triathlon will be good motivation for me to be active again.  I know it will be challenging, but also fun in an exhausting/exhilarating way.

I'm 30 and overweight - 5'8"/180 lbs, part of my motivation for completing the triathlon.  So, am thinking about doing the beginning biker, beginner swimming and conservative walking to running training to get into shape.

I love biking (and plan to just use my Trek 7100 hybrid for now), like swimming (learned how last year, so need to get better).  Running is a little tough...

Do you all have any tips that might help me succeed, particularly for someone with ankle problems?  I'm not looking to win, just to finish!

Thanks!
Nicole
2010-12-19 7:09 AM

User image

Reading, PA
Hi Jessica . . 

For a little background for myself I have been an off-and-on runner for a few years. Actualy, mostly off until last year when I became quite serious. I've been running and upping my running game culminating in my second marathon in 3:36 last weekend. I've been toying with the idea of doing a Tri with the two limiting factors being access to a place to swim and time. I can handle the time one to a degree. But swimming opportunities around here seem limited and at a premium. Obviously it gets a little easier when summer rolls around and outdoor pools open up. Still, the swimming places are crowded and limited hours.

So at least to start out with a sprint Tri, how many days per week, or how much time should I look at trying to work swimming in? Years ago, I was a pretty good swimmer. Taught WSI and lifeguarded, etc . .  but that was some time ago. I haven't swam in quite a while.

Thanks!

Edited by Mr. October 2010-12-19 7:11 AM
2010-12-20 8:35 PM
in reply to: #3253753

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Subject: RE: New to Triathlon
nickgn71 - 2010-12-18 11:47 PM Hello,

I'm new to this whole triathlon thing... I've decided to do an triathlon in August because I grew up being active: skiing, ice hockey, track (1600 m) etc.  But stopped being active as a result of some ankle problems (only about 50% mobility).  I think doing a triathlon will be good motivation for me to be active again.  I know it will be challenging, but also fun in an exhausting/exhilarating way.

I'm 30 and overweight - 5'8"/180 lbs, part of my motivation for completing the triathlon.  So, am thinking about doing the beginning biker, beginner swimming and conservative walking to running training to get into shape.

I love biking (and plan to just use my Trek 7100 hybrid for now), like swimming (learned how last year, so need to get better).  Running is a little tough...

Do you all have any tips that might help me succeed, particularly for someone with ankle problems?  I'm not looking to win, just to finish!

Thanks!
Nicole

Hi Nicole! I am so happy to have you here as a member of BT! I think the best tip I can give you is to get involved in the forums here on BT and try to find a local group to hang out with. You are on the right path, taking the training nice and slow and giving your body time to slowly adapt. You may find that your increased athleticism helps your ankle.
I'm not sure what state you live in, but BT has a forum for each state, so check yours out and see if there are others training near you. Also, use the forums here for the plans you are using to get advice/feedback from others training just like you!
2010-12-20 8:37 PM
in reply to: #3253823

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Mr. October - 2010-12-19 7:09 AM Hi Jessica . . 

For a little background for myself I have been an off-and-on runner for a few years. Actualy, mostly off until last year when I became quite serious. I've been running and upping my running game culminating in my second marathon in 3:36 last weekend. I've been toying with the idea of doing a Tri with the two limiting factors being access to a place to swim and time. I can handle the time one to a degree. But swimming opportunities around here seem limited and at a premium. Obviously it gets a little easier when summer rolls around and outdoor pools open up. Still, the swimming places are crowded and limited hours.

So at least to start out with a sprint Tri, how many days per week, or how much time should I look at trying to work swimming in? Years ago, I was a pretty good swimmer. Taught WSI and lifeguarded, etc . .  but that was some time ago. I haven't swam in quite a while.

Thanks!

Welcome to BT! If you have a good swim background and swimming is really tough right now, then once a week is fine. Like you said, once the weather warms up you can have a swim focused month leading up to your first races.
2010-12-20 8:50 PM

New user

Hi Jessica, newbie to the gold program but have been following the free program-
Bike focused 20weeks but modified to add a swim day(total 3 bike, 3 swim 2 run about 9-10hrs week tot train
that i started last October into my 3rd month and wanted to get a little more serious in the pacing and
have access to other info not available to the freebies. Anyhow my question:

1.when i prepared a workout program the times seem much less on a weekly basis
than what i presently follow in the free program-perhaps i am not doing something
correctly.

If this is not the correct page to make the request can you point me in the right direction.

Brgds,
ed 

2010-12-21 2:11 AM

New user

Before asking any questions, should have introduced myself first. Hi I am ed from Manila, Philippines
and many, many moons ago i was in the track and field, rowing and other sports while in boarding school(middle school
were we had no much to do but study and play sport. No I am 44 with a family of my own and some time to
get back to what we used to enjoy doing as kids.
I really had been looking at some sports but mountain biking was just not enough. I do not remember how I got
more and more interested in triathlon- part of it is from your site as well as talking to people. Thats perhaps why 
I had been following the free program without any health or fatigue problems and wanted to take it a step serious
check out your Gold program.
The events lined up for next year begin in middle Feb and there are events almost every month. My real concern is recovery in between and training in between races without peaking to early as we used to call it in rowing as it was downhill from there. I do not know if its similar to triathlon.
That was the reason why i decided to write the email previous to this asking the weekly/monthly slowdown in training times as compared to the Free program.

Hope you can help. Ed

2010-12-21 7:53 AM
in reply to: #3255624

User image

Reading, PA
Tri Take Me Away - 2010-12-20 9:37 PM
Mr. October - 2010-12-19 7:09 AM Hi Jessica . . 

Thanks!

Welcome to BT! If you have a good swim background and swimming is really tough right now, then once a week is fine. Like you said, once the weather warms up you can have a swim focused month leading up to your first races.

Thanks Jessica! I'm actively shopping swimming places. I have it narrowed down to a couple and think I'm just going to bite the bullet and sign up for one.
2010-12-21 12:41 PM

New user

I am looking to find a mentor or a beginner group.
I used to be a semi-professional soccer player- and swam on a swim team many many years ago. I unfortunately went through three illnesses- Cancer , Meningitis and these past 6 months a tripple bypass(no heartattack)- which occurred 3 weeks before for first Tri a Tri last Spring. I am now cleared to train again and want to complete a Tri-a-Tri in August.  looking for support and training partner/s.

Lou 
2010-12-23 10:40 AM
in reply to: #3255635

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
nobrakes - 2010-12-20 8:50 PM Hi Jessica, newbie to the gold program but have been following the free program-
Bike focused 20weeks but modified to add a swim day(total 3 bike, 3 swim 2 run about 9-10hrs week tot train
that i started last October into my 3rd month and wanted to get a little more serious in the pacing and
have access to other info not available to the freebies. Anyhow my question:

1.when i prepared a workout program the times seem much less on a weekly basis
than what i presently follow in the free program-perhaps i am not doing something
correctly.

If this is not the correct page to make the request can you point me in the right direction.

Brgds,
ed 

Hi Ed. Thanks for joining us here on BT! I am trying to understand a bit more what your question is. The Gold plans are different than the free plans. Some may have more hours, some may have less. The benefit of the Gold membership is having a forum where coaches answer any and all questions you have about the plans. It's more support than I give here in the free plan forums.
Any plan will have you tapering for a race, but yes you do need to think about how you will be recovering between races. You need to decide what your most important race of the year is and make sure you are building your training plan to lead up to that race.
Let me know what else I can help you with.
2010-12-26 4:16 PM

User image

Veteran
New York
Hello,
 I have started my training plan the Couch to Sprint after looking at the other training plans it seems the right one.  But now I am not sure.  While the swimming and the running isn't something I have done before in any volume, cycling I have been doing.  So now, I am wondering if there is a better training plan for me to look at.  Today my plan called for 20min bike - and 400 yd swim.  The 400 yd swim was at the right level as I am really just learning technique at this point.  But 20 min on the bike feels way too short and I did an hour spin class instead.  I really want to follow a "plan" but not sure what to do from here. 

Thanks for any advice!  BT is an awesome site!  I love all of the help it is giving me as I move toward my first Tri...

Alexandra 

2010-12-27 8:32 AM

New user

I am new to Triathlons and not quite sure the direction I should be going.  For the last month I've been going to the gym to run, bike (spin class), and swim.  I go twice a day most days and have been giving myself a day or two off a week (I was excited to know I was at least on the right track with that part of it).  I've been studying the training programs and I think the 20 week 3x balanced is the program looks to be the closest to what I've been doing so I think that's the one I'm going to go with.  The one question I've got is...

I go to a spin class three days a week, which is great because the training program calls for 3 rides a week, but spin class is 45 minutes and the training program has short rides, Med rides and long rides. Spin class is pretty consistent in difficulty level. Would it hurt my training to continue the class in the winter months until the weather is warm enough for outdoor rides as opposed to going with the recommended times for training?

Whit 
2010-12-27 2:02 PM
in reply to: #3262069

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
astorm65 - 2010-12-26 4:16 PM Hello,
 I have started my training plan the Couch to Sprint after looking at the other training plans it seems the right one.  But now I am not sure.  While the swimming and the running isn't something I have done before in any volume, cycling I have been doing.  So now, I am wondering if there is a better training plan for me to look at.  Today my plan called for 20min bike - and 400 yd swim.  The 400 yd swim was at the right level as I am really just learning technique at this point.  But 20 min on the bike feels way too short and I did an hour spin class instead.  I really want to follow a "plan" but not sure what to do from here. 

Thanks for any advice!  BT is an awesome site!  I love all of the help it is giving me as I move toward my first Tri...

Alexandra 

Hi Alexandra! It's ok to add time to your bike workouts since you have more fitness there, if that is what you think it right for you. The other way to look at this is that this is the time to just maintain your bike fitness while getting your run and swim fitness in line with that bike fitness you already have. If maintaining your bike fitness means sticking to a one hour spin class, that is TOTALLY fine.
2010-12-27 2:08 PM
in reply to: #3262580

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
winyiigtn - 2010-12-27 8:32 AM I am new to Triathlons and not quite sure the direction I should be going.  For the last month I've been going to the gym to run, bike (spin class), and swim.  I go twice a day most days and have been giving myself a day or two off a week (I was excited to know I was at least on the right track with that part of it).  I've been studying the training programs and I think the 20 week 3x balanced is the program looks to be the closest to what I've been doing so I think that's the one I'm going to go with.  The one question I've got is...

I go to a spin class three days a week, which is great because the training program calls for 3 rides a week, but spin class is 45 minutes and the training program has short rides, Med rides and long rides. Spin class is pretty consistent in difficulty level. Would it hurt my training to continue the class in the winter months until the weather is warm enough for outdoor rides as opposed to going with the recommended times for training?

Whit 

Hi Whit. Using spin class as bike training over the winter can work IF you don't have an indoor trainer. If you can afford an indoor trainer, that will help you more than 3x a week spinning. Once a week spinning is a bit more appropriate for the winter as it's usually interval based and the winter should also be a time when you work on base fitness.
If you don't think a trainer is in your future, you can hack the spin classes to suit you better. See if you can arrive 30 minutes early and spend that time doing an easy spin on the bike before class starts. Also, try to go hard one day and back off on one other day. Some triathletes will literally just do an easy spin the whole entire spin class. As long as you are in the back and respectful of the instructor, you can use a spin class for motivation, music, and camaraderie but do your own thing.
2010-12-29 1:11 PM

My first HIM will be September 18, 2011.  I plan to use the 20 week HIM training plan which would put me starting around May 1.  My question is what do I need to be doing now to prepare for the 20 week training program.   This is my first triathlon.  Is there a program before the "program" do I do not flounder for the next  5 months?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stewert
2010-12-29 1:43 PM

Greater Chicagoland Area
Introduction:

Hello Jessica and everyone following this forum.  My name is Laurie and I am extremely brand new to the entire concept of "tri" anything.  However, I have it in my head that this is something that I need to tackle and I have already determined the race I plan to complete (Elkhart, WI Sprint Triathlon in June 2011).  

I have no background in this sport, so I might be asking many questions!  I would fit in the "couch to sprint" category, so I will be starting out very slowly.  I looked at the training plans and I am eager to finally get off the couch. 

I have been looking at a variety of fitness equipment to get me moving into the right direction and I am wondering if there is any once piece that will prove most helpful?  I have looked at treadmills, spin bikes, and ellipticals (I have a history of patellar femoral syndrome, IT Band syndrome, and osteoarthritis of the knees; so I was leaning towards the elliptical to get started).

Any initial guidance is greatly appreciated! 

2010-12-30 12:39 PM
in reply to: #3266487

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
stewandtoni - 2010-12-29 1:11 PM My first HIM will be September 18, 2011.  I plan to use the 20 week HIM training plan which would put me starting around May 1.  My question is what do I need to be doing now to prepare for the 20 week training program.   This is my first triathlon.  Is there a program before the "program" do I do not flounder for the next  5 months?  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Stewert

Welcome, Stewert. Lots of people share this same concern with you. Some people choose to follow a winter maintenance plan, some people choose to follow an Olympic plan in order to prepare for the volume of the HIM plan, and some people feel comfortable just training on their own without following a training plan but doing at least 2 workouts per week in each sport. Your main goal between now and then is to be ready physically and mentally for the training plan, but it's up to you to decide what is going to work best for you.
2010-12-30 12:46 PM
in reply to: #3266555

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
LaurRN - 2010-12-29 1:43 PM Introduction:

Hello Jessica and everyone following this forum.  My name is Laurie and I am extremely brand new to the entire concept of "tri" anything.  However, I have it in my head that this is something that I need to tackle and I have already determined the race I plan to complete (Elkhart, WI Sprint Triathlon in June 2011).  

I have no background in this sport, so I might be asking many questions!  I would fit in the "couch to sprint" category, so I will be starting out very slowly.  I looked at the training plans and I am eager to finally get off the couch. 

I have been looking at a variety of fitness equipment to get me moving into the right direction and I am wondering if there is any once piece that will prove most helpful?  I have looked at treadmills, spin bikes, and ellipticals (I have a history of patellar femoral syndrome, IT Band syndrome, and osteoarthritis of the knees; so I was leaning towards the elliptical to get started).

Any initial guidance is greatly appreciated! 

Welcome to BT! I am very excited for you as you start on your new triathlon journey!
If I were you, I would just join a gym rather than buying equipment for home. Once you get a bike, you can buy an indoor bike trainer so you can ride your own bicycle inside. That would be a great investment, rather than an indoor bike. Also, while the elliptical can definitely help you with your fitness, in the long run a treadmill will be more useful to you as a triathlete.
I wish you the very best of luck! I am here to answer questions as you get started with your training plan!
2011-01-06 10:01 AM

User image

Del Rio, TX
Hi Jessica!  I'm excited to join this forum.  I'm training for my first oly this year in June and only have 2 sprints completed which were both last year.  I have two little boys at home so training can be tricky sometimes but I have a decent indoor spin bike and I have a running stroller.  Anyway, I am planning on doing the 20week swim focused oly plan starting early Feb.  I don't see a separate thread for this plan so I'll start one and hopefully I can get some workout buddies to join : )
2011-01-06 10:32 AM

User image

Del Rio, TX
OK, I guess I don't know how to make a new thread but here's the training plan on this site I want to add: Olympic - Swim Focused - 20 Week
New Thread
BT Development ARE YOU NEW? Beginner Triathlete Group Training » Getting Started Rss Feed  

of 7