General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-09-07 12:01 AM
in reply to: #3084384

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
Subject: RE: Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group
Mickie - 2010-09-06 6:46 PM I have a question about the bike to run. I am having a really hard time running off the bike when I'm doing bricks. Are there any training exercises to help or is it just a matter of needing better fitness? My calves and the arches of my feet tighten up and of course my legs are are like rubber. I can deal with the rubber legs better than the tight calves, shins & arch pain. If I walk an 1/8 of a mile or so it seems to help but I really would rather not walk.

Mostly it's a matter of fitness. When you do bricks, other than wanting the back to back effects, you should pick one part to focus on. If you are going to push the run, take the bike easy, and vice versa.

Plus, the more mileage you have under your belt, the better. It'll get easier, and don't worry about walking if you need to. We've all done it at one time or another.

John

2010-09-07 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3084501

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
tkd.teacher - 2010-09-07 12:01 AM
Mickie - 2010-09-06 6:46 PM I have a question about the bike to run. I am having a really hard time running off the bike when I'm doing bricks. Are there any training exercises to help or is it just a matter of needing better fitness? My calves and the arches of my feet tighten up and of course my legs are are like rubber. I can deal with the rubber legs better than the tight calves, shins & arch pain. If I walk an 1/8 of a mile or so it seems to help but I really would rather not walk.

Mostly it's a matter of fitness. When you do bricks, other than wanting the back to back effects, you should pick one part to focus on. If you are going to push the run, take the bike easy, and vice versa.

Plus, the more mileage you have under your belt, the better. It'll get easier, and don't worry about walking if you need to. We've all done it at one time or another.

John

Totally agree with John. It's ok to walk if you need to - WAY better than cramping or running through pain. Part of learning to run off the bike is learning to pace the bike and not go as hard as your bike fitness allows, but find that sweet spot where you are using just enough juice on the bike to be able to run well afterward. But mostly it is just a matter of fitness. You are new to the sport and it WILL get better as your body adapts to and absorbs your training.
Jessica
2010-09-12 11:03 PM
in reply to: #3052868

New user

El paso, texas
Ran my first ever in my liife 5k yesterday! It didn't feel too bad & was actually more like 3.5 miles plus a mile of warm up on the treadmill before I went outside. Three more weeks till race day! I also did My first swim to bike brick yesterday. It felt ok. Can't believe my body is doing this! LOL
2010-09-13 9:59 AM
in reply to: #3094553

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Mickie - 2010-09-12 11:03 PM Ran my first ever in my liife 5k yesterday! It didn't feel too bad & was actually more like 3.5 miles plus a mile of warm up on the treadmill before I went outside. Three more weeks till race day! I also did My first swim to bike brick yesterday. It felt ok. Can't believe my body is doing this! LOL

That is absolutely FANTASTIC! What an awesome weekend! I remember feeling the same way when I was training for my very first mini-sprint triathlon - I couldn't believe my body was actually doing what it was doing, lol!
Jessica
2010-09-16 12:38 AM

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
Plan to start this program monday. I have not ran a 5k ever, i have partisipated in a triathlon but the run was a two miler and i was slower than sin and suffered tremedusly. I am an avid cyclist but would like to run also. I am about 40-50 overwieght. Back when i raced said tri i had managed to drop 45 lbs but soon regained 30 of it. I am currently 230 and will drop my weight to the low 190s or high 180s.

I will start walking in the mornin for then next few days and begin the program on monday.

P.S. i dont like to run......YET
2010-09-16 6:39 AM
in reply to: #3101395

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
comet the dog - 2010-09-16 12:38 AM Plan to start this program monday. I have not ran a 5k ever, i have partisipated in a triathlon but the run was a two miler and i was slower than sin and suffered tremedusly. I am an avid cyclist but would like to run also. I am about 40-50 overwieght. Back when i raced said tri i had managed to drop 45 lbs but soon regained 30 of it. I am currently 230 and will drop my weight to the low 190s or high 180s. I will start walking in the mornin for then next few days and begin the program on monday. P.S. i dont like to run......YET

Welcome! You WILL learn to love running because you are doing it the right way - progressively. Most people that hate running start out too long and too hard. They never allow themselves the time to slowly adapt to running to the point where it gets "easy" enough to be enjoyable.
It's also hard to start a new sport when you are already pretty good at another sport, but those that like a challenge will stick it out!
Looking forward to your updates.

2010-09-16 3:06 PM
in reply to: #3101395

User image

Regular
Madison, MS
comet the dog - 2010-09-16 12:38 AM Plan to start this program monday. I have not ran a 5k ever, i have partisipated in a triathlon but the run was a two miler and i was slower than sin and suffered tremedusly. I am an avid cyclist but would like to run also. I am about 40-50 overwieght. Back when i raced said tri i had managed to drop 45 lbs but soon regained 30 of it. I am currently 230 and will drop my weight to the low 190s or high 180s. I will start walking in the mornin for then next few days and begin the program on monday. P.S. i dont like to run......YET

I used to hate to run myself, now I rather enjoy once I started doing it right. The hardest thing to do is keep a slow enough pace to build distance. When I first started I was running way too fast and started to burn out in the 5th week, I slowed everything up and kept a 10min/mile pace or slower and made it through the rest with no big issues. Good luck and keep with it, you will get there!
2010-09-16 5:25 PM

New user
Valencia, CA
I am in the tenth week of the program. I used to think that runners were aliens. I never could understand how people could choose running as exercising or as a sport choice.  Fast-forward to getting my fat butt off the couch getting back in shape. I ran 24 minutes non-stop today and probably haven't done this much running in a decade.  I am not jumping ahead just trying to enjoy the process to my first 5k october 24. I'm really excited and having a ton of fun. Everyone around me is annoyed because i keep talking about how surprised i am that i'm running and enjoying it. Never could of done it without this program.
2010-09-16 10:39 PM
in reply to: #3103087

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
wskalsky - 2010-09-16 3:25 PM I am in the tenth week of the program. I used to think that runners were aliens. I never could understand how people could choose running as exercising or as a sport choice.  Fast-forward to getting my fat butt off the couch getting back in shape. I ran 24 minutes non-stop today and probably haven't done this much running in a decade.  I am not jumping ahead just trying to enjoy the process to my first 5k october 24. I'm really excited and having a ton of fun. Everyone around me is annoyed because i keep talking about how surprised i am that i'm running and enjoying it. Never could of done it without this program.

Most excellent!! THIS ^^^ is what it is ALL about! Congratulations on the effort and the milestones, and we will definitely expect a race report!

John
2010-09-17 6:16 AM
in reply to: #3103087

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
wskalsky - 2010-09-16 5:25 PM I am in the tenth week of the program. I used to think that runners were aliens. I never could understand how people could choose running as exercising or as a sport choice.  Fast-forward to getting my fat butt off the couch getting back in shape. I ran 24 minutes non-stop today and probably haven't done this much running in a decade.  I am not jumping ahead just trying to enjoy the process to my first 5k october 24. I'm really excited and having a ton of fun. Everyone around me is annoyed because i keep talking about how surprised i am that i'm running and enjoying it. Never could of done it without this program.

How awesome! You can talk about it ALL YOU WANT here on BT!
2010-09-17 11:58 PM

User image

Hello there;
I think I am going to go with this running plan... I intend to do my first ever biathlon on Dec 11th. Run is 5K, but swim is 1000 yards, and I can only do a breaststroke, so it takes a while. Then next year I can attemt an actual triathlon... Learn swimming and get my old bicycle fixed. 
So; I am looking forward to it, my goal is to build some muscles - I am too skinny.Smile
Today I swam 500 yards (after not much physical activity in a while), and I am trying to wrap my head around how I'll run after 1000 yards.
Ivana

2010-09-18 7:48 AM
in reply to: #3105630

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ponorka2 - 2010-09-17 11:58 PM Hello there;
I think I am going to go with this running plan... I intend to do my first ever biathlon on Dec 11th. Run is 5K, but swim is 1000 yards, and I can only do a breaststroke, so it takes a while. Then next year I can attemt an actual triathlon... Learn swimming and get my old bicycle fixed. 
So; I am looking forward to it, my goal is to build some muscles - I am too skinny.Smile
Today I swam 500 yards (after not much physical activity in a while), and I am trying to wrap my head around how I'll run after 1000 yards.
Ivana

Welcome to BT! We are very happy to have you here, Ivana. You have plenty of time to get ready for your biathlon, and congrats on taking on these new challenges. When do you plan on starting the training plan?

2010-09-18 8:07 AM

User image

Hi, Tri,
I have started this week. I ran twice and swam once. So, I am going to run one more time today. I am focusing on not overdoing it because I am sure I can run for a while before crashing...
2010-09-19 10:03 PM

New user

El paso, texas
Good luck to everyone! I also could never understand how anyone could run much less enjoy it! I started this program in June & could barely run 2 minutes at a time. I remember the 1st time I went to my local track this summer to run after having been working on the treadmill for 3 or 4 weeks. I wanted to cry because I could not make it one lap around the track. I was so disappointed. But tonight about 3 months later I ran 3 straight miles after a 10.5 mile bike ride! And I ENJOYED it! I'm slower than slow .... But even that is getting better. My first tri is two weeks from today and I can't wait! I would have died laughing if someone had told me two years ago that I'd be doing this today. And I would have cried with joy if I could have believed it was possible. Now I'm beginning to wonder what will be next ...... ! Just stay patient & stay after it!
2010-09-20 6:25 AM
in reply to: #3105748

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ponorka2 - 2010-09-18 8:07 AM Hi, Tri,
I have started this week. I ran twice and swam once. So, I am going to run one more time today. I am focusing on not overdoing it because I am sure I can run for a while before crashing...

Perfect! Follow the plan and don't push it. Very smart.
2010-09-20 6:26 AM
in reply to: #3107254

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
Mickie - 2010-09-19 10:03 PM Good luck to everyone! I also could never understand how anyone could run much less enjoy it! I started this program in June & could barely run 2 minutes at a time. I remember the 1st time I went to my local track this summer to run after having been working on the treadmill for 3 or 4 weeks. I wanted to cry because I could not make it one lap around the track. I was so disappointed. But tonight about 3 months later I ran 3 straight miles after a 10.5 mile bike ride! And I ENJOYED it! I'm slower than slow .... But even that is getting better. My first tri is two weeks from today and I can't wait! I would have died laughing if someone had told me two years ago that I'd be doing this today. And I would have cried with joy if I could have believed it was possible. Now I'm beginning to wonder what will be next ...... ! Just stay patient & stay after it!

That is very inspiring, Mickie! You have worked very hard.

2010-09-21 6:41 PM

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
Ok so i started the program today, first off i set my timer for 12.5 minutes with the idea i will walk at a moderate pace till the alarm goes off then turn around and go home. However, after walking for what i think is 12.5 minutes i look at my timer and realize i did not push start. To my best estimate i walked 32 minutes instead of the recommmended 25. Next i felt really good out walking and had to fight the urge to run. I managed to refrain, i know this is going to be my biggest obstical with this program, jumping ahead and burning my self out. With that said i feel good after the walk and look forward to next week when i get to run.
Rob
2010-09-21 9:22 PM

New user

El paso, texas
Way to go Rob! It'll go by fast & then you'll be wishing for one of those walking days again! Enjoy!
2010-09-22 7:02 AM
in reply to: #3110896

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
comet the dog - 2010-09-21 6:41 PM Ok so i started the program today, first off i set my timer for 12.5 minutes with the idea i will walk at a moderate pace till the alarm goes off then turn around and go home. However, after walking for what i think is 12.5 minutes i look at my timer and realize i did not push start. To my best estimate i walked 32 minutes instead of the recommmended 25. Next i felt really good out walking and had to fight the urge to run. I managed to refrain, i know this is going to be my biggest obstical with this program, jumping ahead and burning my self out. With that said i feel good after the walk and look forward to next week when i get to run. Rob

GREAT! The best thing about your post is that you already KNOW that you tend to attack things too soon and you are working on keeping that in check. I love it!
2010-09-22 11:30 AM

User image

Ogden, Utah
I just found this thread.
I'm 1 and 1/2 weeks into my own personal 4 week agressive 5k training program. 5k race is October 9th. I just did a mini sprint with a 1 mile run Sep 6 which I barely made it through without walking. Running(more like light jogging) is definately my weakest activity. But last night, in training, I ran 5k for the first time in my life! Yay me! anyways...
I have a question, though- Why does it feel like my legs want to give out long before I'm out of breath? Will that ease up with training?
2010-09-22 2:31 PM
in reply to: #3111884

User image

Regular
Madison, MS
brianteats - 2010-09-22 11:30 AM I just found this thread.
I'm 1 and 1/2 weeks into my own personal 4 week agressive 5k training program. 5k race is October 9th. I just did a mini sprint with a 1 mile run Sep 6 which I barely made it through without walking. Running(more like light jogging) is definately my weakest activity. But last night, in training, I ran 5k for the first time in my life! Yay me! anyways...
I have a question, though- Why does it feel like my legs want to give out long before I'm out of breath? Will that ease up with training?

When I got a couple weeks in, I felt the same thing, my legs would hurt but I wouldnt be out of breath, I would just push through and after a few months of running I no longer have any leg pain (at least not most days). Im not sure if this is everyones experience but I think with time your legs will get used to it.

2010-09-22 2:36 PM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
brianteats - 2010-09-22 11:30 AM I just found this thread.

Hi there. Take a look at the training plan we are using here in this forum by checking here. You might get some ideas for your own plan. Your legs will get stronger as you train more - just give your body time to adapt.
2010-09-22 3:39 PM

New user
Valencia, CA
I had the exact same experience. My leg muscles and joints were tired and giving out way before my fitness was. I think the reason you build slowly and steadily is to get your body ready and avoid injury vs. fitness first.  My legs keep feeling stronger and stronger but i think that is the point.Smile   I'm not a doctor and total noob in endurance sports so take what i say with a grain of salt.  (legs are starting to feel way better though!)
2010-09-22 11:27 PM
in reply to: #3112655

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
wskalsky - 2010-09-22 1:39 PM I had the exact same experience. My leg muscles and joints were tired and giving out way before my fitness was. I think the reason you build slowly and steadily is to get your body ready and avoid injury vs. fitness first.  My legs keep feeling stronger and stronger but i think that is the point.Smile   I'm not a doctor and total noob in endurance sports so take what i say with a grain of salt.  (legs are starting to feel way better though!)

Yep. It comes with time. It's like people that do aerobics for hours and hours. Aerobically they are in great shape, but if they start running it's a new activity, muscles used in different ways, and the legs say "Enough!" before the CV system does.

It'll get there, patience pays off HUGE in endurance sports. Just keep up the consistency and the dividends later will more than make up for the feeling of not progressing.

John
2010-09-28 2:27 PM

User image

Master
hiding in your closet
33 minutes of walking with a purpose today with 3 minutes of running. Devided them up into 3 equal blocks, and a slow walk at the end. Had to go to the college today so i deciced to kill two birs with one stone, i knew it would take longer than the 27 and 3.

And, papa needs a new pair of shoes......badly.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group Rss Feed  

of 11