General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 11

2010-09-28 4:56 PM
in reply to: #3052868

New user
Valencia, CA
Subject: RE: Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group
Great job!

Edited by wskalsky 2010-09-28 4:57 PM

2010-09-28 6:50 PM

User image

Expert
My wife asked me to help her run a 5K.  She will be looking at your group and I hope joining shortly, if you will have us.
2010-09-28 7:02 PM
in reply to: #3122733

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
elcaminobill - 2010-09-28 6:50 PM My wife asked me to help her run a 5K.  She will be looking at your group and I hope joining shortly, if you will have us.

Excellent!!
2010-09-28 7:54 PM
in reply to: #3122733

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
elcaminobill - 2010-09-28 4:50 PM My wife asked me to help her run a 5K.  She will be looking at your group and I hope joining shortly, if you will have us.

welcome to the wild rumpus!

John
2010-09-30 12:23 PM

User image

noblesville
I just started this program a couple of days ago, i am looking forward to getting in shape and running again, haven't done that since high school. already have my first 5k planned for feb. of next year, don't really care how fast just want to be able to say i did it.
2010-09-30 1:10 PM

User image

New user

Long Beach

Hey Guys – I’m Keith

I just finished out my cycle season this past weekend with a 70 mile ride through the Hamptons, NY. I biked over 1,300 miles this season in several bike events and training rides.

So it got me thinking about next season's events and which events I will be doing. So I decided to start training for sprint triathlons. I'm shooting for my first tri to be in May. I have never been a runner previously and I’m looking forward to this training. So I just started this Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group and I really like it so far.

2010-10-01 10:15 AM
in reply to: #3126246

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
klefkof - 2010-09-30 11:10 AM

Hey Guys – I’m Keith

I just finished out my cycle season this past weekend with a 70 mile ride through the Hamptons, NY. I biked over 1,300 miles this season in several bike events and training rides.

So it got me thinking about next season's events and which events I will be doing. So I decided to start training for sprint triathlons. I'm shooting for my first tri to be in May. I have never been a runner previously and I’m looking forward to this training. So I just started this Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group and I really like it so far.

Most excellent! Glad to have you!

One of the "truisms" in our sport is that more cycling will help running, and vice versa. It's not as good, of course, as specific stand alone training for single sports, but there is a cross over effect.

Keep us up to date on your progress, and feel free to drop any questions you might have!

John
2010-10-01 2:28 PM
in reply to: #3126120

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
mas1 - 2010-09-30 12:23 PM I just started this program a couple of days ago, i am looking forward to getting in shape and running again, haven't done that since high school. already have my first 5k planned for feb. of next year, don't really care how fast just want to be able to say i did it.

That's GREAT! So happy to have you join the group! Make sure to keep us up to date on your training!
2010-10-01 2:29 PM
in reply to: #3126246

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
klefkof - 2010-09-30 1:10 PM

Hey Guys – I’m Keith

That is so cool, Keith! Welcome to the group!
2010-10-02 1:05 PM

User image

Ok, I am on my week three, and running now 15 mins with 15 mins walking. I think I will not be able to run 3K in half hour though... I think it takes me closer to twenty minutes to do 1and a half miles...at this point.
Swimming seems to come along little better. My swimming event(1000 yards)  is in the pool and I am now doing 750 yards quite comfortably.
I hope running gets better with time.
Ivana
2010-10-02 7:40 PM
in reply to: #3129808

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
ponorka2 - 2010-10-02 11:05 AM Ok, I am on my week three, and running now 15 mins with 15 mins walking. I think I will not be able to run 3K in half hour though... I think it takes me closer to twenty minutes to do 1and a half miles...at this point.
Swimming seems to come along little better. My swimming event(1000 yards)  is in the pool and I am now doing 750 yards quite comfortably.
Ivana

Wait...your event has 1000y swim and a 3k run? That seems a bit...unusual.

And at that pace, you're around 37 minutes for a 3k run. But, if you can get your endurance up a bit to where you can run the entire 3k, you can probably make it under 30 mins easily. Just keep going, you're already showing improvement!

John

2010-10-02 9:09 PM

User image

I made a mistake; it's a 5k. I get confused with miles and kilometers. So, it's 1000yard swim and 5k run. Yes, I don't think it's a normal race but it fits my current "investment" level. (as I won't have to fix bike and figure out biking in a short time) Plus race is driving distance from home (hour and a half)

But today it took about 18 mins to run 1 and a half miles, so I suppose it can take 36 mins to run 3 miles. This couch to 5K training plan only runs me up to 30 mins, so I want to squeeze all those miles in those minutes to know that I can actually run all those steps... well, it will be fun. I just want to finish that's all for this season.

Also, I wonder where can i find races for kids... My 6 year old wants to "just run" in a race. He's not a swimmer and biker yet.

2010-10-04 11:24 PM

User image

Jonesboro, AR
Hello!
I'm new to the forum and to tri and pretty much to all! I have been doing 50 minutes of cardio and 50 minutes of weights for the last 3 months 4-5 days a week and have lost about 40 lbs so far. But still according to the training program for my height 5'7" large frame I should be around 161 lb and I'm 171lb, so that puts me in the obese and I have to walk....the deal is that I can do a 5K in a treadmill (28:45) and also did a 5K in an indoor track (29:05) the same week. So not sure where do I actually fit in. I want to train to become a triathlete, but not sure if I should stick to the aggressive 5k program or move to any other or what to do. I usually do the stationary bike for 50 minutes and that totals to about 16 miles ride (I do have a mountain bike and ride it!), I can swim but I suck at it, my form is bad and the local pool at school has only lifeguard, no trainers, no coaches no nothing, is a waste of resources cause we don't even have a swimming team! SO PLEASE HELP!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO???? where to start? I want to use the fall and winter to get ready for my first tri next year. Will run a 5K at the end of the month also. Thanks!
2010-10-05 9:26 AM
in reply to: #3129808

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ponorka2 - 2010-10-02 1:05 PM Ok, I am on my week three, and running now 15 mins with 15 mins walking. I think I will not be able to run 3K in half hour though... I think it takes me closer to twenty minutes to do 1and a half miles...at this point.
Ivana

Awesome! You absolutely WILL get better with time, but also enjoy where you are now - better than you were three weeks ago!
2010-10-05 9:28 AM
in reply to: #3130110

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
ponorka2 - 2010-10-02 9:09 PM

I made a mistake; it's a 5k. I get confused with miles and kilometers. So, it's 1000yard swim and 5k run. Yes, I don't think it's a normal race but it fits my current "investment" level. (as I won't have to fix bike and figure out biking in a short time) Plus race is driving distance from home (hour and a half)

But today it took about 18 mins to run 1 and a half miles, so I suppose it can take 36 mins to run 3 miles. This couch to 5K training plan only runs me up to 30 mins, so I want to squeeze all those miles in those minutes to know that I can actually run all those steps... well, it will be fun. I just want to finish that's all for this season.

Also, I wonder where can i find races for kids... My 6 year old wants to "just run" in a race. He's not a swimmer and biker yet.

You can search on active.com for local races. Lots and lots of 5K races will have a kids run of up to 1 mile.
2010-10-05 9:32 AM
in reply to: #3132913

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
snakemau - 2010-10-04 11:24 PM Hello!
I'm new to the forum and to tri and pretty much to all! I have been doing 50 minutes of cardio and 50 minutes of weights for the last 3 months 4-5 days a week and have lost about 40 lbs so far. But still according to the training program for my height 5'7" large frame I should be around 161 lb and I'm 171lb, so that puts me in the obese and I have to walk....the deal is that I can do a 5K in a treadmill (28:45) and also did a 5K in an indoor track (29:05) the same week. So not sure where do I actually fit in. I want to train to become a triathlete, but not sure if I should stick to the aggressive 5k program or move to any other or what to do. I usually do the stationary bike for 50 minutes and that totals to about 16 miles ride (I do have a mountain bike and ride it!), I can swim but I suck at it, my form is bad and the local pool at school has only lifeguard, no trainers, no coaches no nothing, is a waste of resources cause we don't even have a swimming team! SO PLEASE HELP!!! WHAT SHOULD I DO???? where to start? I want to use the fall and winter to get ready for my first tri next year. Will run a 5K at the end of the month also. Thanks!

Awesome, awesome, awesome!! You are doing SO great!! Let's start by picking a race next year. Don't be afraid to pick one in the spring...you are pretty fit already and can be ready in the spring to do your first triathlon.
Can you ride outside over the winter or will you need to do indoor cycling? Does your gym offer spinning classes? Is there only one pool in your area? Check out the forum here on BT for your state...you may be able to find additional resources there. Let me know if you need help finding that forum.
Let's pick a race and then go from there, ok? And a big WELCOME to BT!!

2010-10-05 9:39 AM

User image

Jonesboro, AR
Hello!
Yes I can ride outside during winter and the gym does have spinning classes. There is another pool here and will find out today if they have a coach or someone there that could help.

I'm excited now! Ok so I live in Arkansas, could you tell me where to look for the races? do we have a forum for that?  I would like to know what will be available for me in spring around this area or nearby states?
And thank you for the info. I really want to do this and this forum seems to be the starting point for me.
2010-10-05 9:58 AM
in reply to: #3133398

User image

Regular
Madison, MS
snakemau - 2010-10-05 9:39 AM Hello!
Yes I can ride outside during winter and the gym does have spinning classes. There is another pool here and will find out today if they have a coach or someone there that could help.

I'm excited now! Ok so I live in Arkansas, could you tell me where to look for the races? do we have a forum for that?  I would like to know what will be available for me in spring around this area or nearby states?
And thank you for the info. I really want to do this and this forum seems to be the starting point for me.

trifind.com is the best resource I know to find triathlons, active.com has listings for not only some triathlons but other races (running, duathlons, etc.)
2010-10-05 9:59 AM

User image

Jonesboro, AR
Awesome, thank you so much will check those in a few.
Thanks again.
2010-10-05 10:00 AM

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
snakemau - 2010-10-05 9:39 AM Hello!

Yes, Trifind.com is pretty awesome. Visit your state forum here. I bet you will find lots of additional info there! Let us know when you pick a race!
2010-10-05 10:04 AM

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
snakemau - 2010-10-05 7:39 AM Hello!

There should be a state forum for you on here, you can ask in there about local races. If you click on the "Races" icon at the top of the screen you can search for races, also active.com has a pretty good listing of races around the country.

Sounds like you are off to a good start! See if you can find some people around you in Arkansas that you can train with, group training is always fun!

John

2010-10-08 2:28 PM

New user
Valencia, CA

So my 5k is on the 24th and I'm starting to get excited. Banging out 20-24 minutes running no problem and following the plan. I'm layering over the beginning of Pates 22 week beginner sprint program (desert sprint in march will be my first tri) so im now starting to work out six days a week.  That program also begins extremely slow on the bike and swim like the run on the aggressive program.  That said, should I at all be worried about injury? the run minutes go up to 25 - 35 over the next couple weeks and I will be pretty much being working out brand new disciplines (like running, i have zero bike and swim experience) every day though really small easy numbers on those.  It would be a downer if I did something two weeks before the race after four months of working for that goal.  Also, on a positive note im down to 223 weight wise from 235-240 since i started. i havent really altered my diet at all wanted to concentrate on getting into the habit of working out. i'm really going to concentrate on diet next month after i get used to working out five days a week. pretty confident i can get down to goal of 208-210 (i'm 6'4) pretty quick when the calories get managed. Thanks for any input in advance. Can't tell you how the couch to 5k has helped me get to a place i didnt think i could go! Runners are still aliens to me but at this point i feel like im starting to understand them a bit. Thanks again BT!

2010-10-08 3:19 PM
in reply to: #3141443

User image

Elite
Hendersonville
wskalsky - 2010-10-08 2:28 PM

So my 5k is on the 24th and I'm starting to get excited. Banging out 20-24 minutes running no problem and following the plan. I'm layering over the beginning of Pates 22 week beginner sprint program (desert sprint in march will be my first tri) so im now starting to work out six days a week.  That program also begins extremely slow on the bike and swim like the run on the aggressive program.  That said, should I at all be worried about injury? the run minutes go up to 25 - 35 over the next couple weeks and I will be pretty much being working out brand new disciplines (like running, i have zero bike and swim experience) every day though really small easy numbers on those.  It would be a downer if I did something two weeks before the race after four months of working for that goal.  Also, on a positive note im down to 223 weight wise from 235-240 since i started. i havent really altered my diet at all wanted to concentrate on getting into the habit of working out. i'm really going to concentrate on diet next month after i get used to working out five days a week. pretty confident i can get down to goal of 208-210 (i'm 6'4) pretty quick when the calories get managed. Thanks for any input in advance. Can't tell you how the couch to 5k has helped me get to a place i didnt think i could go! Runners are still aliens to me but at this point i feel like im starting to understand them a bit. Thanks again BT!

Glad to hear everything is going well for you! As far as getting inured goes, you need to trust yourself to know if you are pushing too hard. I think you will be totally fine as long as you are roughly following the plan. Make sure you are getting tons of sleep!
Since you said you are only doing short, easy swim and bike, they may actually help with your fitness as you get ready for your first 5K. Great cross training.
2010-10-08 5:21 PM

New user
Valencia, CA
Thanks for the input. Sleep is one of my favorite types of training.  Smile Though i've never beaten my post Mardi Gras PR.
2010-10-09 6:14 PM

User image

Hi,

My name is Melinda and I've signed up for my first tri in May 2011.  I've had 2 knee surgeries Yell while I was a swimmer in college so I'm just here to slowly get into running.   Also wanting to lose a few pounds along the way.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aggressive Couch-to-5k Training Group Rss Feed  

of 11