USAT sanctioned event
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 27m 38s
Overall Rank = 58/248
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:15 (weird to get up so late!), ate breakfast and headed to HR. I was the first person there on my assigned rack, so I got the end spot, hooray! I felt really unprepared and unorganized for some reason. Got my stuff laid out (or so I thought), chatted with some people on my rack, and headed to the pool, hoping for an early start.
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 12m 30s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not a bad swim, especially considering the format with the run between pools, and the fact that I had to stop at least 3 times to fix my leaking goggles. I felt like I actually raced this swim instead of taking my time like I have my other races this season.
What would you do differently?:

Fix my goggles before the swim!
Transition 1
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

Average transition. Found out that one of the women in my lane in the indoor pool (who had passed me) didn't get tapped for her last length and ended up doing 4 extra lengths! Someone had knocked my helmet and sunglasses off my aerobars and replaced them by hanging the helmet by the strap off my top tube. Didn't really cost me much time, but it was kind of annoying.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 35m 4s
  • 10 miles
  • 17.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I had no idea what this bike course was going to be like. I've done the Tune-up Tri before, and figured it would be similar (and hilly, of course!) but the Tune-up hills are smaller and lots more ups and downs. This was pretty much one big uphill till mile 5.

At least drive the course, to have some idea what it's like!
Transition 2
  • 02m 12s
Comments:

Slow transition because I realized while I was on the bike that not only had I forgotten to put my bike number on (glad that race officials were few and far between!!!) but I forgot to get my run number out and put it on my racebelt. Dumb. Wasted a good 30 seconds at least doing that.

Get my head together before the race and make sure everything's laid out!
Run
  • 36m 20s
  • 3.5 miles
  • 10m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I think I mentally block out how hilly Highlands Ranch is or I would never sign up for another race there. I really wanted to go hard and push the pace, and I did a pretty good job until I hit the first of three giant hills on the course and had to walk it (along with the other two). It was starting to get pretty warm, too. Nice to see StMaas at the mile 3 aid station for a little encouragement and some hydration right before the finish!

Run up the freaking hills!
Post race
Warm down:

Checked the results, OMG, I was in 3rd in my AG. I figured there were still some faster people out on the course that hadn't been posted yet, but hung around anyway just in case. Drank some water, chatted with some friends, waited for the awards ceremony. Holy crap, I really did finish 3rd! And I was only a minute out of 2nd! I've always said that the only way I could place in my AG was if there were only 3 people...guess I was wrong, I can do it with 9, LOL. Small races are great, and this was a really nice change after doing the Boulder Tri Series in all their huge, super-competitive glory!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mental block on hills. Just run up them! Forgetting my pre-race checklist. Not checking the goggles before getting in the water.

Event comments:

I really like small races and I think Highlands Ranch does a great job with their tri series. I will say that the high school volunteers this morning were kind of sketchy. Marking on the run course could have been a little bit better, but I managed not to get lost, so I guess it was good enough! I'm glad I thought to go down to the pool to see if I could get started early, I got to go 30 minutes before my (extremely late) scheduled start time.

Last updated: 2010-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:30 | 500 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 81/248
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 11 lengths of the indoor pool, get out and run to the outdoor pool for 9 lengths.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:35:04 | 10 miles | 17.11 mile/hr
Overall: 47/248
Performance: Good
Wind: Headwind
Course: Loop through Highlands Ranch. Uphill to mile 5-ish then downhill to the finish.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:12
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:36:20 | 03.5 miles | 10m 23s  min/mile
Overall: 72/248
Performance: Average
Course: Loop course starting from Northridge Rec Center on HR trail system, with a 1/2 mile or so through a neighborhood.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers?