United States
VEM
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 13m 49s
Overall Rank = 1975/3205
Age Group = F 30-39
Age Group Rank = 149/288
Pre-race routine:

bkfast was greek yogurt, granola, banana, water 2 hours before race start. Drove, parked, wandered around smiley and giddy and loved the loud music and pre-race energy. Forgot how much I love this part. Did some agilities, drank more water, peed, smiled, peed, smiled. Lined up w 2:15 finish group.
Run
  • 2h 13m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

What a day! I executed my plan exactly perfectly. Chose to run on dirt or grassy or sandy sides of roads/trails which may have slowed me down a smidge, grass thick in some places, and I had to do more weaving than most people would bother doing to get the soft ground, but I would rather sacrifice a few minutes for quicker recovery, less leg abuse.

Honey stingers every 30 minutes. R/W= 9/1, but I took a walk break at aid stations if I needed water, and then restarted 9 minutes from there. Also did NOT take walk breaks if there was a downhill ahead, waited until after.

I really noticed a HUGE improvement in my downhills. I was much more aggressive than usual, I really flew, and noticed how few other runners did. I heard a few people say "Whoa!" as I flew by out of nowhere. I credit trail running and my deliberate practice of letting 'er rip downhill. I did hear people whining about uphills after the race, and I did not notice even one. Again, trails are the sneakiest and most fun way to get hard training in, both leg strength and hills. Yay.

Never once felt like stopping, never felt a single twinge of pain in knees or hips or shins. Sprinted the last .25 very hard, didn't puke like usual, but definitely felt my hip flexors seize the minute I stopped. Not sure how I feel about that, but I wasn't sure I'd make my 2:15 goal since my Garmin stopped automatically at the port-o-stinkies.

Did have to take one bathroom break which pissed me off, but it had to be done. Around mile 9 I think.
What would you do differently?:

Not a thing. It was perfect.

PR, BABY!
Post race
Warm down:

giggled through finish line, ate a banana, some trail mix (Kirkland brand trail mix is now my fave post run food!) and chocolate milk (of course, this is Wisco! Walked around a little, had a delightful massage on the terrace overlooking the sailboats. Blissful. My back and butt cramped a LOT as soon as I stopped running which had me nervous, but the massage person was wonderful and really seemed to know just what to do. Gave away my beer ticked, beer after a race is gagalicious to me. Went home to see my family. I kind of wish they had been there, but was also very much present in my own experience and know that had they been around I would have worried about them

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just the decision to run in control the whole time. It was definitely not an "I-left-it-all-on-the-course" type race. I trained perfectly for this, my official return to racing.

Event comments:

really great course, featuring the best of downtown madison- lakes, campus, the Arboretum. I marked "easy course" because it didn't really feel hard, but I know some people might think it hilly. The fact that it was overcast was also a HUGE gift. Great bands along the way, great band and party at the end at the terrace, one of my favorite places in the world. Lots of nice people. I love racing! Thank you to all of my BT friends who have taught me how to train smart, race smart, have fun, and to keep my eyes on the prize, which is- fitness and fun FOR LIFE.

Last updated: 2010-08-20 12:00 AM
Running
02:13:49 | 13.1 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/288
Overall: 0/3205
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-22 12:24 PM

User image

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: Madison Mini-Marathon

2010-08-24 9:08 AM
in reply to: #3057283

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

Edited by Chr15 2010-08-24 9:09 AM
2010-08-24 12:28 PM
in reply to: #3057283

Champion
Wisconsin
Subject: RE: Madison Mini-Marathon
(thx, C!)

ETA: It is Day3 after race. I can hardly walk, legs and lower back still mad... Re-assessing this whole notion of "I-could-have-gone-longer-or-harder..."
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Madison Mini-Marathon Rss Feed