General Discussion Race Reports! » Council Bluffs Black Squirrel Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Council Bluffs Black Squirrel Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Council Bluffs, Iowa
United States
YMCA
80sF / 0C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 31m 4s
Overall Rank = 83/107
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/7
Pre-race routine:

Ate at the right time on Friday evening and had a nice relaxing time with my grandkids Friday night. Saturday am got up about 5am had a protein bar, some OJ got coffee on the way and got to the venue in pleanty of time to get thigns set up.

GET BUG REPELLENT I forgot about Mosquitos, they did not forget about me.
Event warmup:

Not much really, a very little bit of light running drank some water and had a goo before I got into the water and swam about 50 yards just before the start.
Swim
  • 23m 8s
  • 1000 yards
  • 02m 18s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was really surprise as to just how bad I am swimming.
What would you do differently?:

More pool/training time
Transition 1
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Didn't start with shoes on the bike, hadn't practiced and it was a friends bike.

Nothing, I rocked the transitions,,,,,, abou the only thing, but ya gotta take it where ya can.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 6s
  • 21 miles
  • 19.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Was using a friends bike, I know it wasn't dialed in for me. I felt a little un-comfortable but was able to push it.

I think if I do this again and borrow his bike I will bring a saddle that's more similar to the one on my bike.

Possibly add a bottle cage since I just had one or at least move the cage to the front tube instead of the back one.
Transition 2
  • 52m 5s
Comments:

probably could have been a little smoother getting the bike racked and helmet off. On both transitions I was planning on drinking some water & or gatorage in the Transation area since I only had one bottle cage on the bike

set my stuff up so i was on the non chain side of the bike.
Run
  • 1h 01m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

When the run started I was experiencing a lot of pain on my left shin every time my foot landed. I started out very slow, stopped a couple of times and even moved the chip strap from my left ankle to my right, a spot on the trail had a gravel path running next to it and I moved over to that and it seemed to help, then I noticed a chain link fence between the gravel trail I was on and the race trail,,,,, I looked ahead and it didn't appear there was a crossover coming up, I had to double back about 50 yards to get back on the "true trail", my ankle did start feeling better and eventually no pain at all. I can only guess that it had something to do with the bike fit, I've been doing some bricks and have been very pleased how I've felt ,,,,,,,,, except for today. :( The good news is I got stronger and stronger as the run progressed and had a great race/sprint finsih with the guy who started Team Owen in Omaha, he beat me just a yard after 100 to 150 yards of hard back and forth.

Not had the ankle pain? Moved back over to the race path before the chain link fence.

Taken some more time to try to dial the bike in a little bit better, I know the seat could have been a little farther back and maybe just a tad higher. I put good down for two reasons, I was expecting to go 1:10 and the way i started out i would have been happy with 1:20.
Post race
Warm down:

Best warm down of my life, just after I finished I heard my little grandson say Grandpa Cruse and was very excited. Had a bottle of water a melted protein bar changed and watched him and his sister play in the park for a while.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training, isn't that always the case, I don't think the bike was a limited on the bike course but I think it was a factor in the sharp pain in the front of my shin. oh, yeah, my swimming sucks.

Event comments:

Best race for the $$$$ I've ever done. I do think a name change is in order, The Big Mosquito is my vote.

I was very unhappy with my swim, I can't say I was pleased with the bike based on passes/passed for being so far back out of the water. One guy passes me on the first lap and asks if this is my first triathlon???????? really I even look like I suck as much as I feel at this particular moment? I did pass him twice on the run, once just before the chain link fence then shortly after my lil detour, that was all I really needed. :).

This was a bit of test to see how my knee and body for that matter felt/held up before signing up for SilvermAn 1/2 and when my ankle was hurting as much as it was the first two miles I was ready to say it wasn't going to happen. As the pain left and my running legs came back and not only came back but felt I was getting stronger the longer I ran. I feel I'm on the road back, knee didn't bother me at all, didn't hurt after the race and as I'm typing this at home after spending 5+ hours in a plane getting home it still feels fine. I think I'll be good to go if I train smart.

I strongly recommend this race, it's a great value, just make sure you bring mosquito repellent!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2010-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:08 | 1000 yards | 02m 18s / 100yards
Age Group: 7/7
Overall: 0/107
Performance:
Suit: two piece tri suit
Course: Out and back black water counter clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:04:06 | 21 miles | 19.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/7
Wind: Some
Course: 3 loops around the lake, Pancake flat
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 52:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
01:01:37 | 06.2 miles | 09m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/7
Course: Out and back asphalt
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-22 3:41 PM

User image

Subject: Council Bluffs Black Squirrel Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Council Bluffs Black Squirrel Triathlon Rss Feed