EndorFun
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 56m 20s
Overall Rank = 256/2141
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 48/223
Pre-race routine:

I tried to get to bed at a reasonable time--10:30--but being such a nervous person who has trouble falling asleep in general I knew it was useless. Finally fell asleep around 12:30 am, and yet I still managed to wake up 20 minutes before the 4:10 alarm. Oh well.

Oatmeal, toast, apple sauce and water for breakfast, picked up fellow BTer John (Millman), quick stop at Dunks for the typical pre-race coffee and off to the shuttle buses at Gunstock. If I do this again (which I will) I wouldn't leave so early, we were one of the first to arrive for a bus and got to Ellacoya (transition) a solid hour and a half before transition closed.
Event warmup:

We had to be out of transition at 6:45, fifteen minutes before the pros went off, but my wave didn't go off until 8:10. So I hung around for a bit, watched the pros start (and finish) the swim (holy crap they're FAST!) then did a quick 10 minute swim warmup.
Swim
  • 35m
  • 2111 yards
  • 01m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

I got a good position on the outside (left) at the front, and with the first 100m being real shallow I did dolphin dives (or whatever they're called) to get toward the front. However, the entire swim I kept drifting to the left, so after starting on the left I found myself alone for much of the race. I kept trying to move to the inside but for whatever reason just couldn't get into a good area to draft. Once we turned at the outermost bouy the chop became pretty sever and it was a bit disorienting for a while. I tried to keep myself calm and in a rythym but between the chop, trying to get to the right, and slower swimmers from the earlier waves acting as obstacles it was tough. I thought once we turned to go back to shore we'd get a decent current into the beach but it was actually a left-to-right push so the entire swim seemed like a battle against the water.

Also, my left shoulder was giving me some problems toward the end. After the crash a month ago it's hurt off and on and I haven't really been doing much straight distance swimming so 2K really seemed to bother it a bit. At some point in the near future I'm going to take a few weeks or a month off of swimming, hopefully that'll take care of it.
What would you do differently?:

Get myself into better drafting position, especially early in the swim, and stay there. The effort level was perfect, but my general swim form stagnated after last season so I'll have to put in more of an effort to improve next year.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Good transition, the wetsuit strippers at Timberman are awesome and I saw the first of many cheering sections from my family coming out of the water. I haven't mastered the shoes-on-bike transition yet--that'll be a goal for next year--but I got everything done quickly and without rushing, so I was happy with the way this went.

Shoes on bike, once I figure that out and am comfortable with it.
Bike
  • 2h 30m 36s
  • 56 miles
  • 22.31 mile/hr
Comments:

First shock of the day: my power meter wasn't working! It went out a week ago so I changed the battery, and the only ride since it seemed to work fine but it's just not working any more. So knowing that I just had to go off feel--keep things easy on the uphills and push on the downhills. Having ridden the course a few times I knew what to expect from a pacing standpoint so I was able to monitor my effort that way and feel like I did a great job of not cooking myself at any point.

Because my wave started so late I found myself in the passing lane the entire ride, it actually wasn't as bad as I expected it to be and it actually acted as a way to keep my in tune with everything going on around me the entire ride. As the ride went on there were 4-5 guys who yo-yo'd back and forth with me, it was a constant struggle to drop back from the draft zone then make a pass, only to see them re-passing a few minutes later. But as I said, my effort level never wavered and by the end of the ride just one of those guys was up with me and I can only think of three cyclists who outright passed me.

Two other things to mention: it started raining halfway through the ride, and got pretty hard/steady about 35 miles in. There's a BIG descent at about mile 45, and with cars on the road only doing 35, a narrow shoulder and other cyclists laying on the brakes I just had to keep it slow. It was VERY frustrating not being able to coast down the hill, I don't think I hit more than 41 mph on the descent and probably could have had a 22.4-.5 mph average had I just been able to go down the hill without touching the brakes.

Also, I got a penalty! Yellow card, NO idea what it was though. Coming down 11B--which leads onto rt. 11 back into Ellacoya, there are cones to keep cyclists on the right away from traffic. A line of riders formed and I tried to stay to the outside (but still inside the cones), then started passing as soon as the cones disappeared. Just a half mile down the road the race official pulled up and yelled to me that I got a yellow card, and to stop in the penalty tent. Now, that said I DID stop in the penalty tent but all they did was take my name and race number, and I was off after about 20 seconds...not a big holdup at all but I'd still like to know what the penalty was all about. It's frustrating seeing some drafting interspersed along the race course, and having to pull back on a number of occasions to avoid drafting, only to get a penalty in an area where it didn't seem like drafting was at all avoidable. Oh well...

Um...make sure the power meter is working pre-race? I don't think I had much control over that so I guess I wouldn't do anything different. Nutrition was good, pacing was good, I held back on the hills and felt strong the entire bike ride but didn't overcook myself.
Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

I had to stop at the penalty tent (as I mentioned), then jogged to my rack and got moving. I tried drying my feet because they were soaked from the rain, but knew blisters were gonna be an issue no matter what I did. Socks and shoes on, hat on, and I got moving.

I'm going to get a pair of tri-specific shoes for next season so I don't have to worry about socks and have quick-tie laces. The Yankz! I have suck, I don't even use them because they don't work the way I'd like them to. Other than that I was controlled but fast.
Run
  • 1h 45m 45s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

The run...oh the run...I'm still not fast, that much is abundantly clear, but I'm getting better and all things considered I'm very happy with the way this went.

I hit a porta-potty just outside transition (30 seconds); fixed a sock 3 miles in (30 seconds); then had SEVERE cramping at mile 11 (1:30). Take that time away and I'd be right at my open half mary time, so this went real well for me.

The first loop I focused on getting in a comfortable rythym, not pushing things, and taking in fluids. I got to the turnaround and a cheering section of about 6 family members were there (AWESOME!!!), giving me a big boost. I felt absolutely fantastic the entire first half, and averaged 7:40's the whole way (minus the two quick stops). I had thoughts of a negative split but that went out the window when I started feeling some cramping around mile 9. After being injured for a few months and only having 7 weeks to work back into running form I don't think my legs were fully ready for the distance (long run of 11 miles before this race). My feet were burning and I could feel blisters popping up all over my feet but I had no problem pushing through all that, it was the cramping that held me back. I took in as much fluid as my body would let me, mixing gatorade, water and cola--sometimes one of each--at every aid station, but the cramps just got worse and worse. Finally at mile 11 my right hamstring completely seized up, brought me to a standstill and made me want to chop off the damn leg to keep going. I couldn't even walk for a short bit so massaged and stretched for a minute; then some real slow walking; then more massaging and I was able to start a slow jog the rest of the way. After that I could feel the cramp but it never took hold again. The last mile was torture but I could hear the announcer and the crowd so I pushed as hard as I could, then rounding the corner I could see the finishing chute. I kept an eye out for my family, saw them and gave 'em a smile and wave, then got the hands up crossing the line for the first HIM finish. The icing on the cake: Chrissie Wellington putting my finishers medal around my neck, I told her I had been looking forward to this moment all day and she gave me a big smile and congratulated me.

Hmmm, tough one. I guess it starts with staying healthy so I can get the proper base miles in for training, that would have made a big difference. I'll have to ask my coach if he thinks the cramping was from nutrition or a lack of run volume/fitness. But other than that I think my pacing was spot on.
Post race
Warm down:

I found my family and gave them all high fives (the only one who dared hug my disgusting, smelly, sweaty body was my mother), and sort of incoherently jabbered on about the race and Chrissie and various other non-sensical thoughts I had racing around in my brain--I'm guessing they could tell I was excited but needed some time to get myself together. I left them to stretch, get changed and get my stuff from transition.

Then food, lots of it, and a whole lot of race recapping. The entire family gets real into this type of thing so they were asking all kinds of questions about the race, the course, how I felt, the pros, etc, etc...and I was on such a high I think I did more talking than eating. We sat around for an hour talking about the day and the race, then some fatigue set in, the rain started up, and we all made our way home. I unfortunately didn't see any of the fellow BTers I had met to see how their races had gone (I hope they all went great!)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A few minor tactical issues and some volume issues on the run but outside of that it's just speed at this point. Lots of off-season work, I want to drop alot off this time next year.

Event comments:

I can't possibly say enough about this event. It's a 70.3 Ironman race now but it still feels like EndorFun and Keith and his crew put on a fantastic race. From the expo to the registration to the course itself, the hundreds of volunteers and the amazing pro field, this is without a doubt the best race I've ever been a part of. One gripe: the shuttles back to Gunstock are an absolute disaster, it's just a nightmare. Thankfully I didn't have to deal with that as my father gave me a lift after the race, but seeing how long that line was, people with bikes and gear, with small children, and with rain pouring down, I felt awful. they have to figure something out because it's the last thing that people remeber about the race and it's a HUGE drawback, standing in line for an hour just to get back to your car.

Other than that, this is an amazing race. They have volunteers that just stand on the big climbs and cheer and go nuts the entire way up, that's what they're there for...everything you can think of to make this a great race, they hvae it covered. I'm planning on doing this every year for as long as I do triathlons, just an amazing experience.

Last updated: 2009-11-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:00 | 2111 yards | 01m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 63/223
Overall: 497/2141
Performance: Below average
Suit: 2XU Comp
Course: Clockwise rectangle with a decent amount of chop, especially in the deeper sections of the course.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: High
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:30:36 | 56 miles | 22.31 mile/hr
Age Group: 17/223
Overall: 132/2141
Wind: Some
Course: First 10 miles are rolling hills with one big climb at the end; next 18 are flatish--slightly downhill most of the way--next 18 are slightly uphill and into the wind, then a decent climb and BIG descent, and finally the rollers again.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:45:45 | 13.1 miles | 08m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 74/223
Overall: 453/2141
Course: Two loops, out and back. Rolling course with one steep section around mile 5 and 11.5. Nicely shaded with TONS of aid stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-23 7:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Subject: Timberman - Half Iron

2010-08-23 8:41 PM
in reply to: #3059934

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego
Subject: RE: Timberman - Half Iron
Nice job!  Solid swim and smokin' fast bike time.  Hope to be there some day.  Don't think your penalty could have been drafting.  Usually that's a red card and you have to sit in the box for 4:00, right?  So it must have been something else.  Could have been blocking if you spent a lot of time in the passing lane?  Anyway - awesome bike time and congrats on a great race!
2010-08-23 8:43 PM

User image

New user

Thanks for the race report and congrats on an awe-inspiring performance!  It was great to meet you and the other BT'ers on Friday night, and I would've loved to see your triumphant finish at the race!  I had a good-for-me performance, too - finishing in 6:15:33, 63/116 in my AG.  I know that I need to improve my after-bike running since my 13.1 run was a good 10 min. slower than my normal HM time.  I felt pretty much cooked half way though the second loop and seriously struggled the last few miles.  But overall, I was happy with my performance and look forward to getting back to training in a few days (still a bit sore at the moment!).  Congrats again and I'll look forward to seeing you at Timberman 2011, if not before then!

Edited by mamomof3 2010-08-23 8:48 PM
2010-08-24 6:03 AM

New user
Good job man!  I was following you and Sam's results all season in the posts.  I was a few waves ahead of you, but right in the worst of the rain on the hills.  Scary is an understatement!  My dad, wife and I all pulled amazing runs out and had the races of our life...but you still beat me by two minutes

I had my speedometer go out on me at the start.  Second race it happened on this year, and it was another PR.  I'm racing better without it so I'm not focused on pace, speed, etc...just a watch and math in my head.

2010-08-24 6:39 AM

User image

Veteran
Nice Job, great report!  Possibly you were passing in the NO PASS ZONE?  I know I was behind people who were hitting their brakes in that area and could not pass them (this was during the Sprint, not sure if the half had the same rule).  Other than that if you were not drafting I guess it is a mystery.  Still all in all you had a great race!
2010-08-24 6:42 AM

Regular
Sounds like you had a great race. It was great meeting you and fellow Bt'ers for dinner Friday night. I was looking for everyone (You had to pass me on the swim)and got to see Walt on the run. Sounds like your penalty was probably for blocking. Regardless you enjoyed yourself and that all that matters. I loved the race and met my goal of finishing it with a smile on my face. Should have pushed myself a bit more, but I went slow and steady (on the right the entire time). I loved the people passing me--probably felt sorry for me, but it was encouraging!! My first HIM and would definately do it again. Race report to come!!! Big Congrats on a race well executed!!!

2010-08-24 8:36 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
Thanks everyone!  Re: the penalty, it wasn't in a no-passing zone--at least I don't think it was.  The only no-passing zone they told us about was at the turn into Ellacoya at the very finish...if there WAS no passing at the turn from 11B onto 11 (where I got the penalty) then that must have been what I got called for, otherwise some sort of blocking infraction. 

Oh well...it was about 20 seconds off my time and I wasn't in the running for anything but a first-time PR so I'm fine with it.  If anything I now have a 20-second buffer for next year when I try to beat this time!

Thanks again for the kind words everyone!
2010-08-24 9:49 AM

User image

Master
New Jersey
Nice job Ray!! You nailed it. If your biggest issue is the 20" penalty...that's a pretty sweet race.

2010-08-24 10:14 AM

User image

Expert

Nice race and great race report. 

I think no matter what unless you really put the serious run training in...the last few miles will always be tough. I had a similar run.  But it was my quads! 

Congrats again!

2010-08-24 10:21 AM
in reply to: #3060646

User image

Veteran
Brownie28 - 2010-08-24 9:36 AM Thanks everyone!  Re: the penalty, it wasn't in a no-passing zone--at least I don't think it was.  The only no-passing zone they told us about was at the turn into Ellacoya at the very finish...if there WAS no passing at the turn from 11B onto 11 (where I got the penalty) then that must have been what I got called for, otherwise some sort of blocking infraction. 

Oh well...it was about 20 seconds off my time and I wasn't in the running for anything but a first-time PR so I'm fine with it.  If anything I now have a 20-second buffer for next year when I try to beat this time!

Thanks again for the kind words everyone!

If you passed at Sawyer's Diary Bar, from 11B to 11, then yes, that was a NO Pass zone, at least it was in the Sprint.  Just trying to help you pin point where the penalty was, no big deal but at least you will know for next year.Wink
2010-08-24 11:14 AM

User image

Veteran
Outstanding Ray, congratulations!! You really put in a lot of hard work this year and it sure payed off, breaking 5 hours in your first HIM is an awesome result man.  That yellow card thing would have bothered me too but sounds like you took it in your stride and carried on and completed the job - awesome!

2010-08-24 12:13 PM
in reply to: #3060931

User image

Extreme Veteran
Watertown, MA
wildred - 2010-08-24 10:21 AM

If you passed at Sawyer's Diary Bar, from 11B to 11, then yes, that was a NO Pass zone, at least it was in the Sprint.  Just trying to help you pin point where the penalty was, no big deal but at least you will know for next year.Wink

That's exactly where I got the yellow card...it must have been that then, which frankly I'm fine with.  I didn't hear about that being a no passing zone but if it was then oops, my bad.  Thanks for pointing that out, I'll have to remember for next year...as long as it wasn't drafting (which would have been red anyway) I'm happy, I think drafting in these races is so bogus, it pisses me off when I see it.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Timberman - Half Iron Rss Feed