Midwest Sports Events
68F / 20C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 55m 56s
Overall Rank = 1025/1158
Age Group = F 20-24
Age Group Rank = 13/18
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30 am to be on the road by 3:45 am. Dad got up to make sure I was up and going which was nice of him. It is a long and boring drive to Fond du Lac but I made it. Stopped along the way to pick up some gatorade for the bike and found a pretty decent parking spot when I got there. Went to go get my packet and saw a huge line for the potties so went to go stand in that line. After that line, got my time chip and body marked. Then went back to the car to get my bike ready, pump up the tires, load on the nutrition and get myself ready to go. Got a call from Mom saying good morning and I talked to her for a bit before hearing it was line up time and started that way. Also ate two bananas and had some water. Ran into Katie Jarek, a friend from high school and talked to her for a few minutes before lining up with way too much time to spare.
Event warmup:

No need for a warm-up with 90 miles to ride.
Bike
  • 5h 55m 56s
  • 90 miles
  • 15.17 mile/hr
Comments:

The worst part of this race is the waiting. I was in wave 4 and we had to wait 16 minutes to start and the start is so scary as is with everyone starting at one time. Waited back with a nice group of people and when the gun went off held back a bit before starting to pick of the pace. I had to push a bit in the beginning to catch a group I could draft off of but after I found them I moved up through the pack for a while just trying to keep up a good pace. Most of the time I was avg around 20 mph and that was comfortable. Saw a bad crash just about 10 or 15 miles into the course and an ambulance heading that way which is never good. Made it within an hour close to the first rest stop. The worst thing before I got there is I caught the back side of a train going through. Apparently the people that go there just ahead of me had to wait 4:30 minutes while I only had to wait around 30 seconds. Just after that took another corner and stupid bike slipped the chain and dropped it for the first time ever so I had to pull off and put that back on. Finally made it to the first rest stop and stopped to have an uncrustable PB&J. Then left right away and kept on going. Very uneventful to the next rest stop except my legs were just not as snappy as before but nothing too bad. Stopped briefly at the next stop to have some cookies and some cheese before getting on my way again. My legs started getting tired and the distance between that stop and High Cliff felt like forever. I was starting to get very wrapped up in the biking and less in the enjoying so I just held it together and was rewarded with my parents waiting for me at High Cliff. They planned to chase me back down the backside of the course. I took a 12 minute break at High Cliff between the potty stop and getting something to drink and just hanging out off my bike. It was finally time to go so I got back on and barely had the legs to get up the big high cliff... not fun. Tried to recover a bit after that climb and then headed back out on to open road. I caught a bit of wind leaving the park and was able to pick up my pace big time till the next rest stop where my parents had yet to meet me. Hung there for a bit and had some pretzels, the food of kings during a race like that and finally decided to go because I didn't want to wait any longer. The longest part of the course was next were it was hilly and even though I had some fun with my parents, my legs were starting to get seriously tired and starting to cramp. It was hot and my back and legs and shoulders were starting to seriously hurt, but I just pushed the best I could until the next rest stop. I was able to see my parents again, get some coke, some salt tablets, and some tortilla chips which were wonderful at that point. I talked to my parents for a few minutes before getting back on my bike and going. Lots of hilly stuff next but I knew there was only one more rest stop until the finish after this. Just kept on pushing and was actually passing a few people which was nice. Got closer to the rest stop and grabbed a new water bottle but decided against stopping and yelled that to my parents when I got closer. Pushed up a few really bad hills before getting to a wonderful descent that is like a mile long. Rode that one hard and got some great speed then turned onto a running training where the volunteer said 5 miles to go. Just kept on pushing knowing that I just had to survive that long and continued to pass more people. Had to loop through town weird but finally got to a corner I remember and turned toward the finish. Pushed hard through that where my parents were waiting and slowed to a stop after the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Train more distance. But this year has all been mental recovery since Ironman last year. I just wanted to have fun and see what I could do this year. I have PRed at every race I have tried this year. I guess losing weight helps with that. I PRed by 16 minutes today.
Post race
Warm down:

Got off my bike and immediately stretched my quads which were very tight and painful. Walked around a bit and then ditched the cycling shoes which were just hurting worse. Got some chocolate milk and we walked back to the car to go get some real food.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Better, longer distance training. I need to do more time and more miles on the bike.

Event comments:

I like this race because there is nothing else like it. I however think there are some major areas they could improve like with number of potties and options for food on course. This is one of the better Midwest Sports Events though.

Last updated: 2010-08-01 12:00 AM
Biking
05:55:56 | 90 miles | 15.17 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/18
Overall: 1025/1158
Performance:
The pace is wrong which either means the chips were off or the distance is not correct. My actual results showed 14.9 mph average.
Wind: Little
Course: A beautiful flat ride through the first 48 miles around Lake Winnebago. Worst climb is up a couple of bridges. Then the back half is hilly and wide open with the worst climb being right in High Cliff.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-24 1:03 PM

User image

Master
Mishicot, Wisconsin
Subject: Anthem Race the Lake

2010-08-29 10:42 PM
in reply to: #3061343

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: RE: Anthem Race the Lake

Well done!  You're continuing to make progress this year!  Another PR. Woo Hoo!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Anthem Race the Lake Rss Feed