R3Events LLC
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 12m 45s
Overall Rank = 13/318
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 3/32
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:30am, put down some oatmeal, OJ, and coffee drove to Portage with my wife.
Event warmup:

Got a transition spot right by the run-out , did a 10 minute running warm-up, and then put on my wetsuit and got in a short swim warm-up. Saw a few people I knew and passed the time until race start (and recognized a lot of faces from other area races).
Swim
  • 06m 14s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim was relatively weed-free, which was nice. Started in the middle front, did a few dolphin dives, and followed someone’s feet to the first bouy. After the turn, I seemed to have a hard time going straight and kept having to correct course almost every time I sighted. About half-way through I was feeling very tired and sluggish, making me think I could have had a much better swim if I’d warmed up a little longer. After the turn at the second bouy, continued my pattern of zig-zagging and had to do a few more maneuvers to get through people in the previous wave. As usual, forgot to hit the lap button on my watch when I got out of the water (didn’t notice until about half way through the bike).
What would you do differently?:

Longer warm up with a few faster strokes. Work a little more on sighting. Hard to complain about my time, but it didn't feel like that good of a swim for me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 43s
Comments:

Got my wetsuit off without too much trouble and headed out.

N/A
Bike
  • 44m 32s
  • 16 miles
  • 21.56 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike course felt really odd. There was a no-passing/no-racing construction zone about a mile from the start, which was a good thing on the way out because I dropped my water bottle and had time to stop, pick it up, and catch back up to the person in front of me (sorry to the guy behind me for stopping so abruptly). On the way out, it felt like the course was a series of small downhills, which made me dread the way back, which I assumed would be mostly uphill. My legs didn’t feel that great and I’m not sure if it was being a little out of shape from vacation or going into a slight headwind on the way out, but the way back wasn’t as bad as I thought it was going to be. However, my legs never really felt that great the whole ride. Some jerk was passing people around turns and was drafting with 2-3 other riders when he passed me around the 3/4 mark, then he passed me again in the “no passing/no racing” construction zone.

Not take a week and a half vacation before a tri. Had only biked twice in the two weeks before the tri.
Transition 2
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

Was very exited to have my first transition under 1 minute! Skipping the knee braces definitely helped with time, though my right knee was sore afterward.

N/A
Run
  • 19m 50s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 06m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Took about a half mile to get through the bike to run “lead legs” feeling and was able to take advantage of the downhill section of the first hill. I couldn’t really tell my pace and as usual, the first mile marker seemed to take forever to come around. Thought my breakfast might be coming back up at one point, but that seemed to pass. Then, I just tried to keep going as fast as I could. Was vaguely aware of my wife shouting out to me as she approached the first mile marker and I was looping back towards the second mile marker, but my brain was completely focusing on just keeping my body moving to the next landmark in sight. Pushed up the last hill and gained energy as I realized how close the finish line was. Gave an extra burst about 100 yards out and passed a few people, though one guy heard my footsteps and went from cruising speed to an all-out sprint for the last 20 yards to make sure I didn’t pass him. Must have passed the 4th place finisher in that last burst, since I only got 3rd place by 3 seconds. Was very excited to see my run time afterward, as it was my first 5K under 20 minutes (hoping the course wasn't short).

Not have nuts in my breakfast or cream in my coffee next time. My stomach wasn't too thrilled with my breakfast choices on on the run. At the same time, if the run isn't a suffer-fest, I didn't run hard enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Took advantage of the free food and massages. I love races that have massage tables at the end.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Taking a week and a half vacation just before the tri with no swimming and limited biking. Also, need to keep working on my biking. I seem to do pretty well on the swim and run, but my bike is lagging (relatively).

Event comments:

A really nice small (400 participants) race that is well-run. Good parking and easy to get to/from the event. Bonus points for having 8 massage tables there at the end of the race. Also, after the Rockford Olympic tri, I really appreciated a weed-free swim.

Last updated: 2010-08-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:14 | 440 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 5/32
Overall: 3/318
Performance: Below average
Suit: QR Ultrajohn
Course: Rectangle
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:43
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:44:32 | 16 miles | 21.56 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/32
Overall: 35/318
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Loop, including a bridge under construction that was supposed to be a no-passing/no-racing zone.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:29
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:19:50 | 03.1 miles | 06m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/32
Overall: 13/318
Performance: Good
Course: About half roads, half grass next to airport runways with one short hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes