Manitowoc YMCA
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 33s
Overall Rank = 18/257
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 4/17
Pre-race routine:

woke up 430am to ride out by 5am. I had Perpeteum and Pickle juice (no cramps again) with classic Pop Tart. I got there about 5:45 and quick setup and time to warm up. I need to remember to set up closer to the swim exit. where I was probably cost some seconds
Event warmup:

I rode for 10 mins to loosen up and check the bike - all checked out so I went back to swim a few strokes to check the shoulder. alls good.
Swim
  • 05m 33s
  • 440 yards
  • 01m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is never really a quarter mile swim. But started in the front of the pack and when the horn went off I walked a bit, dove in for 2 strokes, walked the 2 foot area and dove back in to swim the rest. i never had anyone pass me that i noticed. I was first wave and first out. Odd feeling. the swim was uneventful. I just settled into a comfortabel stroke and kept on going with no worries on effort or time - just to find out I finished this swim 10s better than 2008
What would you do differently?:

not sure - it went well for a bum shoulder
Transition 1
  • 02m 5s
Comments:

This is where I lost all my time. I got the suit stuck and probably could have skipped it but i did not know H2O temp until the start. next time i will find out and skip it if possible. I lost more time in the suit than I gained with it. I also had to reaarange things with my stuff due to my bike being knocked around a bit pre race - so My helmet fell off. But got goodies on and ran out to crank the bike . . .
Bike
  • 43m 28s
  • 16.5 miles
  • 22.78 mile/hr
Comments:

. . . "Hey where's your helmet?" that is the first thing I heard as I past the timing mat. CRAP. when I moved my helmet to the ground to avoid it being knocked off - I ended up forgetting to put it on. so I laid down the bike and ran back in. My helmet was then hidden under the wetsuit. Found it and ran back out to "Hey- where's your bike?" hahaha

I got on and cranked away. i did not start my Garmin until I was moving - actual bike time was 42:33 - versus - 43:28. The whole ride I was crushing it as hard as I could. Half way out I caught the 2 guys who passed me out of Transition. I was going 25 mph and rockin. then we turned around - HEADWIND. nasty one at that.

I kept trying to push and got caught by the winner about mile 13 and just could not keep up. I felt his draft zone and was so tempted to drop into it. But I eased out of it and then tried to maintain. Legs and sore ITB's were not going to push.

My HR was 165 avg - 174 max. Good consistency and proves I was pushing today. Probably could have gained a bit more, but decided with a mile to go to ease up and spin it our to try to run better.

Not have T1 carry over into the Bike leg. Ugggh!
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Fast T2 - did not forget anything, just did not have left foot in perfect to start and fixed it on run about mile 1. Overall a good T with nothing to peak off - get in and get out

faster if possible
Run
  • 23m 33s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

I took off as best as I could from the gun. Maybe a bit faster than I should have but after the bike, I needed to rock this.

7:42
7:44
7:26
6:32 (0.1mi)

Good splits and good pace lead to a PR at this distance. I am ecstatic with this performance. HR was 167 avg-181max. I pushed it and maybe could have eeecked out a few seconds, but real happy with my performance

Do more track workouts to increase speed.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit, packed the car, talked to several people, and drank Recoverite.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

That stupid helmet.

Event comments:

I really enjoyed this race. It is a lot of fun. I did originally sign up for the Clydes division. Which i won, but afterwards withdrew myself (w=on by over 11 mins) and dropped into AG where i belonged. AND if i would not have forgot the helmet and been set back a minute - i would have finished 3rd but only a few seconds behind 2nd and possibly in 2nd pending the wet suit fiasco.

Last updated: 2010-02-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:33 | 440 yards | 01m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 27/257
Performance: Good
Suit: full sleeve helix
Course: a U Loop
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation:
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:05
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:43:28 | 16.5 miles | 22.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/17
Overall: 10/257
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong
Course: out an back with a spermatic head
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:33 | 03.11 miles | 07m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/17
Overall: 55/257
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back - gradual up out and gradual down back
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2010-08-28 2:31 PM

User image

Master
piece o heaven
Subject: Manitowoc - Two Rivers Triathlon

2010-09-01 6:24 PM
in reply to: #3069139

User image

New user
Subject: RE: Manitowoc - Two Rivers Triathlon
Nice Work again!  Great ride in addition to another great bike leg...glad to hear the shoulder is working...
2010-09-02 7:35 AM
in reply to: #3069139

User image

Master
Tosa, WI
Subject: RE: Manitowoc - Two Rivers Triathlon
Nice Race.....I suggest wearing you helmet during your swim, that way you won't forget it in T1!  Laughing
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Manitowoc - Two Rivers Triathlon Rss Feed