TBF Racing
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 00m 28s
Overall Rank = 40/211
Age Group = m40-49
Age Group Rank = 7/31
Pre-race routine:

Camped on site so I could just roll out of the trailer and get to transition without having to wake the whole family up. Nice! I got to transition at 6:30 and got all set up on the end of a rack. Spent most of the morning helping my daughter (8 yo) get set up for her kids tri, hers was first, then we started. I ate a peanut butter sandwich with some water about 2 hours before the race, then had an energy bar around 1/2 hour before the race.
Event warmup:

I got in the lake about 20 minutes before my wave and swam a few hundred yards. It had been over a month since I'd swam, and I was feeling it!
Swim
  • 14m
  • 400 yards
  • 03m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

oof. I don't know what to say. Really, it didn't feel that bad. I was around people the whole way, though I never drafted. Some pretty heavy contact right at the beginning, but that sorted out quickly. My father in law timed my swim, and to be honest I really hope he got it wrong... I mean, seriously... 3:30/100? that just sucks. I felt good, swam smooth and hard the whole way, never got out of my rythym. I did not wear my wetsuit, which I know makes a big difference for me in open water, but it shouldn't be THAT much of a difference. I had expected to swim somewhere between 2:00 and 2:30/100.
What would you do differently?:

practice swimming...
Transition 1
  • 02m
Comments:

Time is an estimation. Long run up from the lake to the parking lot, I'm quick in transition from that point, especially quick today with no wetsuit. Just slip on the shoes (no socks) and go. Didn't wear my Garmin either, so didn't have to mess with putting it on.

nothing.
Bike
  • 28m
  • 8 miles
  • 17.14 mile/hr
Comments:

Disapointing as well. I rode the exact same pace I rode last year at this race. It was super windy after the turnaround today which hit me like a brick wall, but the tail wind going out should have balanced that out, right? I know this time is accurate cause I zeroed my bike computer before the race. I drank about 1/2 bottle of HEED on the bike, felt good, and tried to push the pace as best as I could.

ride more I guess. And of course the obligatory, get a road bike!
Transition 2
  • 00m 28s
Comments:

rack bike, shoes off, shoes on, grab belt and go. Smooth and quick.

nothing. I have my transitions pretty dialed.
Run
  • 16m
  • 2 miles
  • 08m  min/mile
Comments:

This time is a bit of a guess as well, I could have been a little faster or slower, the run and both transitions are just guesses since I had no watch today... Run felt good. I was winded from the get go, but pushed hard and really focussed on a quick tempo and a strong leg recovery (not sure what to call it, but lifting my foot up toward my butt at the tail end of the stride). I passed a bunch of people, only got passed by a few. At the finish line I had no kick left, so I figure I paced it about right.

I'm happy with the run.
Post race
Warm down:

walk around, drink water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have not put in the training hours I need. My recent training logs are pathetic. I actually went about a minute slower this year than last year (last year this race was my first ever triathlon, and I really trained hard for it) and am pretty disappointed with my times (except for the run which was much faster this year). Oh well...

Event comments:

Once again, TBFracing.com rocks! Outstanding weekend of racing, My daughter and I did tri's on Saturday, then my wife and daughter did the Luna all womens tri on Sunday which was just a fantastic and fun event. They really have it dialed in and make it fun, perfect for newbies like me and my whole family.

Last updated: 2010-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:00 | 400 yards | 03m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 0/211
Performance: Bad
Suit: none
Course: rectangle, CCW.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:28:00 | 08 miles | 17.14 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:28
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:16:00 | 02 miles | 08m  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2010-08-30 8:13 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: TBF Super Sprint Triathlon

2010-09-02 1:54 PM
in reply to: #3070770

User image

Expert
Kansas City, Missouri
Subject: RE: TBF Super Sprint Triathlon
Sounds like a tough race for ya.  Way to tough it out and finish strong!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TBF Super Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed